Sept 11th 2001, 9/11 - 20 years on

K

Karin Schill

I HATED this man in my twenties, hated him. Am still angry with him because of the illegal war he and Blair took us into, but I have softened to him. He’s kinda cute now.

I know what you mean. President Bush was really impopular here in Sweden too at the time. But now after we've had four years of Trump...
I remember there was a meme when Trump was elected with a photo of Bush and it said something like: "You never thought you'd miss me" and it's true.

I think George Bush speech yesterday was spot on. He spoke to the nation like a President would.

Joe Biden on the other hand didn't speak at all but instead released a pre-recorded message.

I think that was a big mistake and unfortunately it sounds like he's reading off a teleprompter instead of speaking to the nation. The message is too polished and lacks sincere feelings and passion.

Kamala Harris did speak in Shanksville but could not top Bush's speach. Because Bush spoke from his experience and what he said actually made me cry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But Bush got us into this... He would have been prosecuted for war crimes if Pelosi weren't as guilty as he is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Last night I watched Surviving 9/11, which (as you might expect) featured accounts from those who were in the WTC at the time, those whose loved ones had died and the people who responded to the emergency:

What I found most poignant was seeing the impact the attack has had on the families of those who died. There was an interview with a man and his son who lost, respectively, a son and brother that day, and it was painful to watch them, even today. They haven't sat down as a family to talk about it, and the father is unable to reach out, choosing instead to travel to a very remote part of Wales to grieve alone. Meanwhile, his son is unable to accept his brother's death and is still obsessed with conspiracy theories about 9/11 being an inside job.​

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
@Mel O'Drama - that was very moving, and I just wanted to hug the father as he drove to Wales on his own to be left alone with his memories and grief.

I admire how some of the spouses were so strong and resiliant

The one about Children who were born after/before 9/11 and grew up without knowing their fathers (mainly) who were killed in the attrocity was also sad.

and lacks sincere feelings and passion.

Absolutely! It was like a shop Mannequin doll

And why do we still suck up to the Saudis who are corrupt, evil, barbaric and were behind it all? And dont get me started on their treatment of women!

err, let me think.... they have O I L!

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I just wanted to hug the father as he drove to Wales on his own to be left alone with his memories and grief.

Yes. It was so terribly sad to see him living with such a burden every day, and only having a way to process it on the anniversary. It really feels as though the family will never heal.

I admire how some of the spouses were so strong and resiliant

Absolutely. I was moved by the woman whose firefighter partner was killed by a woman who jumped from one of the top floors. She had complete empathy for what the woman must have been feeling as she fell. There was no bitterness at all, and she pointed out that since he was on his way into the tower that collapsed shortly afterwards he was fated to die that day, one way or the other.

Have you watched After 9/11: Scotland's Story on iPlayer yet, @Barbara Fan? I'm planning to watch it over the next couple of days and am curious to see what it's about.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Have you watched After 9/11: Scotland's Story on iPlayer yet, @Barbara Fan?
No I havent @Mel O'Drama - I always dread that Jimmy Krankie aka Poisoned dwarf will stick her oar in and that fills me with dread!!

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Bumping this up: did I ever show you this paper that I have from Honolulu from the days immediately after 9/11 in 2001? This is the Sunday, Sept. 16, 2001 Honolulu Star-Bulletin; it was part of a 10-paper set which covered some of the days immediately afterward (I purchased it from EBay; it also included a partial Sunday Post-Crescent from Green Bay, WI).

starbulletin91601.jpg