Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
And also a bit camp!
This too. In the best possible way.

I think it worked when it was new and fresh, but gimmickry usually doesn't age very well.

Absolutely. Although to give it its due, the gimmickry was necessary to reinvigorate a genre which had become lazy and lost its way.

For those who like their slashers with a bit more oomph

Oh my. Tom Savini's team were very in demand in the early Eighties, weren't they? Some of these were almost enough to make one swoon. The homage to Psycho was... interesting.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
anyone but me get the NEW Friday the 13th blu-ray box set? it's simply amazing and worth every cent they are only doing 1 pressing so please go and get yours

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Like I've said throughout this thread, I am most familiar with the HALLOWEEN franchise. I've been toying with the idea of doing a little ranking of the movies from the original franchise, which I consider to be the eight films released between 1978 and 2002.

To clarify, this ranking will not include the Rob Zombie reboot films nor the 2018 continuation of the original 1978 story line, simply because I don't care for the former and I haven't seen the latter.

Here's my ranking from worst-to-best:

#8 ─ HALLOWEEN: RESURRECTION (2002)
This film commits a lot of franchise sins. Riding high off the success and fan reception of HALLOWEEN H20, the producers decided the weren't about to let their gash horse die. This sequel picks up three years after the previous film, and whips away that ceremonial ending of H20. Within the first ten minutes of the movie, they kill Laurie Strode in the most ridiculous way possible. The whole aftermath of college students spending the night in the Myers house was decent, but the idea would've worked better as a stand-alone film. The acting is pretty bad, the story execution is weak, and Busta Rhymes is horrid. I saw this movie a lot as a kid, but it definitely isn't the best that's why it's at the bottom.​
#7 ─ HALLOWEEN 5: THE REVENGE OF MICHAEL MYERS (1989)
Similar to the previous entry, this movie craps on everything that came before it. Where HALLOWEEN 4 returned to form, brought Michael back, and emerged as a fan favorite of the franchise, HALLOWEEN 5 just messes a lot of stuff up. The ending given to us at the end of the fourth film is push aside, and then Jamie Lloyd (the young heroine of the previous movie) spends over half of this film as a mute. Her foster sister, Rachel, is killed unexpectedly, which angers a lot of fans because she was she well-liked in the previous movie. This movie pushes us further into the Thorn Trilogy story line, and that in itself is a mess. Tina Williams is probably the worst character in slasher history, and it was a horrible mistake making her the "heroine" of this chapter. The acting here is bad and the layout is too. I watched this movie a lot as a kid, and while it does hold that nostalgia, I cannot deny that this movie is bad.

#6 ─ HALLOWEEN: THE CURSE OF MICHAEL MYERS (1995)
The concluding chapter of the Thorn Trilogy. Goodness, if this movie isn't a complete and utter mess all the way around. Not along is the whole Cult of Thorn plot completely insulting to the mythology of Michael Myers, but the characters here are pretty bad as well. While I don't get on the whole "Paul Rudd is awful" bandwagon, I do think he is a little creepy here, and not in a good way, either. The story line is all over the place, and you really don't know who you're following. I'm glad Donald Pleasance was well enough to come back for a little cameo, even though his presence here is pretty much skidded over. I wasn't too familiar with this chapter as a child, but I have seen it a lot in years since. On a positive note, I do think this film offers some very good atmosphere, colors, shadows, and suspense. It's one of the best portrayals and looks of Michael Myers too. That's what pushes this above the two below it. Beyond that, this movie needs a lot of work, and it still wouldn't be good probably.​
#5 ─ HALLOWEEN III: SEASON OF THE WITCH (1982)
This movie doesn't need to be in the HALLOWEEN franchise. This movie doesn't need HALLOWEEN in the title. And that's simply because it taunts this movie's reputation. By slapping "Halloween" in this title, it automatically makes everyone think this is another Michael Myers story. It isn't. For a long time, I was offended that this chapter doesn't include Myers, but as I've matured, I've come to understand and appreciate where the producers were wanted to go with this franchise. They wanted to move away from Myers and his story line, and make the series an anthology. That was a bold move for this franchise, and while I enjoy Michael Myers, I must say that I am personally intrigued where this series could've gone using the anthology route. Aside from all that, this movie has really good story in pushing Halloween back to its witchcraft roots. Basically, the setup is a corporate leader trying to murder children on Halloween night. Colonel Cochran is one of the best movie villains there has been. The score is sharp, the acting is good, and twists are surprising. I thoroughly enjoy this movie.​
#4 ─ HALLOWEEN H20: 20 YEARS LATER (1998)
Another retcon story. I have a weird relationship with this entry. While I like that Jamie Lee Curtis as Laurie Strode is back at the helm, I hate that the Jamie Lloyd story line from the fourth film is axed from the continuity. I actually like how Laurie's moved to California and has assumed a new identity as head mistress of a private school to hide from Michael. There are a few periods through the middle part of this movie where it drags, but overall it is good. Aside from the mask fiasco that haunts this chapter, I actually enjoy this version of Michael Myers pretty well, and I think it perfectly fits the tone this movie goes for. A lot of fans critique this movie as being too SCREAM-esque, but I don't really get into all that. It's from the same era and that is noticeable, but that's about it. The final act of this movie is top-notch. From the moment Laurie Strode walks back into the school, locks the gate behind, and hollers "Michael!", this movie takes you on one heck of a ride. The acting is decent throughout and I like LL Cool J in this too. This isn't really a scary movie, but one for the fans. It has an extra tidbit for horror fans too by including Jamie Lee Curtis and her mother Janet Leigh (Marion Crane in the original PYSCHO) in the same film. They share a few scenes, and Janet Leigh is actually seen standing by the very same car she drove in PYSCHO in 1960.

#3 ─ HALLOWEEN II (1981)
The rest of the night he came home. I like how this movie picks up only minutes after the conclusion of the original. It does a well enough job of maintaining the same "feel" of the original, although this sequel is considerably more gory. Most of the characters here are just around to be killed, and the story goes in a few directions that probably should've been avoided. I know a lot of people are on the fence about the Laure/Michael brother/sister story-arc, but I think it was okay, but it just went a little too far. Some wrinkles could've been ironed out better, but I don't have any major beef with that particular angle. Myers himself here is a little stiff, but more brutal. This movie seems like it was inspired by the FRIDAY THE 13th craze, which is ironic considering HALLOWEEN fueled that franchise. I don't like how Jamie Lee Curtis looks here, nor do I appreciate her being relegated to the last act. This a very good sequel, but it does shift the tone and story line a little. And whether that works for you will depend on your preferences.

#2 ─ HALLOWEEN 4: THE RETURN OF MICHAEL MYERS (1988)
The tenth anniversary of the night he came home. This movie, in my opinion, does an excellent job of capturing the mood of the original. The mood for this movie is set by the opening credits; all the Halloween scenery is beautiful and spooky. Jamie Lee Curtis was finished with the movies at this point, so Danielle Harris was brought in as her younger daughter Jamie Lloyd. I think making Jamie, a seven-year-old girl, the lead of this movie was a good move. It was certainly different from other slashers, and it gives this movie it's own vibe. I also like Ellie Cornell as her foster sister Rachel, and she really shines in the scenes where she is protecting Jamie from Michael towards the end. This chapter is fueled a lot by nostalgia for me. I remember watching it every year when AMC would air these movies in a marathon. The kills are good, the acting is good, the atmosphere is good, and it's just a all-around good slasher. It might be the best, but it's darn near close.

#1 ─ HALLOWEEN (1978)
Nothing beats the original. I wasn't too well versed on this movie as a child, but I've watched a lot since then. Based solely on simplicity and creativity, this movie is one of the best films there's ever been really. When you look at the small budget, it's surprising they accomplished as much as they did. For the producers to secure Donald Pleasance was a treat in itself, and for them to discover Jamie Lee Curtis was a victory. She emerged as the definitive Scream Queen of the budding slasher genre. I like how this movie uses little gore, but relies heavy on old cinematic tricks to convey real suspense and terror. The atmosphere is great and the acting, aside from a few missteps, is pretty good throughout. This is the definitive slasher. Although movies like BLACK CHRISTMAS came before, HALLOWEEN is typically considered the sole movie that started the slasher craze that dominated the 1980s. HALLOWEEN remains one of the most successful independent movies ever made (it may very well be the most successful).​

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There's an Italian movie from 1987 that I find really good, especially for its time : Stage Fright
Very, very good 80's slasher, underrated. I highly recommend it if you love horror movies from this era.

Here's a review of it :

Video review :

Stagefright (1987): One of the Greatest Slasher Movies?​

Good news : if you want to see it, the full movie (in English) is available on YouTube :

Last edited:

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And Ana- Alicia, Melissa Agretti from Falcon Crest, was an early victim of Jason's in the film.
Either I'm misunderstanding your comment, or you are a little off with your information.

Ana Alicia played a nurse named Janet Marshall in HALLOWEEN II in 1981, the sequel to the 1978 John Carpenter classic. Michael Myers is the masked killer of the HALLOWEEN universe (excluding the third stand-alone film). Jason Voorhees is the antagonist of the FRIDAY THE 13th franchise, excluding the first film where Betsy Palmer as Mrs. Voorhees was the killer.
1617043096651.png

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Either I'm misunderstanding your comment, or you are a little off with your information.

Ana Alicia played a nurse named Janet Marshall in HALLOWEEN II in 1981, the sequel to the 1978 John Carpenter classic. Michael Myers is the masked killer of the HALLOWEEN universe (excluding the third stand-alone film). Jason Voorhees is the antagonist of the FRIDAY THE 13th franchise, excluding the first film where Betsy Palmer as Mrs. Voorhees was the killer.
Oops, yes it was Halloween 2, I got the 2 films confused. Thanks for the correction.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’ve always been intrigued by the slasher movies genre but the truth is I’ve never been good with this stuff. I am the type that gets nightmares when I watch these types of movies LOL!! So unfortunately I missed out on seeing most of these growing up.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i just watched a really really really awful horror film late last night and that's 2006's Petrified directed by Charles Band stay the hell way from this one it's beyond awful

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i saw yesterday that the Bring it on series and there's 7 of them now! i had no idea there were that many to be honest anyways it's gonna be a Slasher film for Syfy apparently coming out next year at some point i think it was Jan. i can't remember

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i saw yesterday that the Bring it on series and there's 7 of them now! i had no idea there were that many to be honest anyways it's gonna be a Slasher film for Syfy apparently coming out next year at some point i think it was Jan. i can't remember
So BRING IT ON is being rebranded as a slasher film? That might be interesting to see once.​

JR-Rules

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
- Loved all the Scream series, even if I loved the first 2 better.
- I know what you did last summer but ONLY the first one. Maybe because I really liked SMG & Ryan Philippe...
- Halloween for sure. Also liked H2018 & Halloween Kills (a bit less than H2018).
I never was a fan of Friday the 13th or Freddy... Maybe because I was fascinated by Mike Myers and, in my opinion, no other slasher came close :D