THE SPIN-OFF

Amazon Prime Sneaky Pete

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1622302352643.png

I've watched episode 1 and I still haven't figured out how I feel about it - but that was also the case with OZARK.
It's more slick than BREAKING BAD because both the humour and poignancy looks more manipulative and it kinda borders on dramedy.
Even the premise itself appears to be based on semi-comical convenience and I think it takes some of the darkness out of it.
Also, since the title character chooses his destiny it doesn't feel as if the story spirals out of control the way it happened in FARGO.
I love impostor stories but here it doesn't seem like a big deal whether he's going to be exposed or not.

I'll watch two more episodes to see if the "addiction" starts to kick in.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm watching THE NIGHT MANAGER instead, and that series is great
I've watched it non-stop, except for the time it took to post the message above, but why was it so great? Or maybe that's the wrong question.
Why was it so easy to binge-watch?
Even though it is an exciting story, it's also a straightforward story without misleading twists and shocking surprises.
And sometimes it feels good to focus on the "how" instead of the "what". The villains are despicable; they do horrible things and then they also have the gall to act all snobbish and cynical about it. Which makes their comeuppance deeply satisfying, and I simply had to see that last part of the story.

Then there's also the lush scope of THE NIGHT MANAGER, the exotic locations and swanky hotels, and the fact that the protagonist manages to disrupt the Roper household simply by being there. Apart from the scheme in order to get on inside there isn't much plotting and deceit going on, and yet it makes some of the characters reconsider their position.
It's delightfully old-fashioned and I wonder if there's a market for a mini-series format for future James Bond stories.

One of my favourite scenes is when Carol sends the sexy nanny packing. "Get in that taxi, you whore! Bitch! Whore!" (I guess that's the soap fan in me).