Snow globes in Soap Land

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Funnily enough, I was watching a 1966 episode of Peyton Place only last night where a scene ended with the wickedly manipulative Martin Peyton staring into a snow globe. It felt very Citizen Kane. And on Christmas Day 2009, someone crept up behind Archie Mitchell, arguably the most evil EastEnders character there ever was, and bludgeoned him to death while he was gazing into a snow globe .

685FD660-E635-4199-85EA-9AA4620BFA1A.jpeg
5F1789FD-8F9F-4228-86B8-214DC6DA5C8A.jpeg

80s Soap Land wise, it's the kind of thing Emma Samms might have stared blankly at while having a flashback.

Last edited:

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Someone gave me a snow globe for Christmas, and finding myself fascinated by it and shaking it. Then I wondered about fictional character traits and how the original question.
Fallon 2 and flashbacks while staring into a snowglobe is a nice idea.
I can see Richard Channing having one and shaking/staring at it while he's scheming or reflecting on something. If Jacqueline left him one in her will it would definitely have some hidden meaning, something that would lead to a treasure or her secret cloning lab.:)

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I can see Richard Channing having one and shaking/staring at it while he's scheming or reflecting on something.
Yes, I think they're useful for baddies to contemplate, the world inside the globe symbolising the one they seek to have domain over. But somehow I can't really visualise snow globes in the Ewing-verse: I think JR, Greg and Abby would find them a bit fey and whimsical.

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Imagine if you will....

FC's Jacqueline gets killed and everyone gathers for the will-reading. Angela (and 3/4 of the town) is puzzled when Jacqueline leaves Angela a hand-crafted snow globe. Inside is a miniaturized version of the mansion and tiny vineyards--it's actually rather attractive. Angela, of course wants nothing to do with it---why the heck would that old battle ax leave Angela anything, given their enormous feud? It sits in its box in Angela's office and becomes an object of derision that Angela casts an occasional gaze toward as they discuss Julia's case, but Richard seems to be more preoccupied with it as "a piece of his mother" he wants for himself.

He visits the mansion weeks later and sees that Angela has put the snow globe box on a high shelf out of the line of sight, claiming she wanted to throw it out but Emma said she liked the mini-mansion motif and thought it might become a family heirloom. Angela suggests Richard takes the box down and take it home with him...or she would get Chao-Li to throw it out. Secretly delighted, he pulls it down as Angela walks out of the room rolling her eyes. Richard takes it out of the box and gives it a shake---only to have it come apart at the base, liquid gushing out over Richard's hands and falling to the floor. As the liquid splashes onto the rug, it instantly burns holes in the fabric, and Richard is soon howling in pain as his hands are burned by some type of acid. Angela calls 911 and after Richard is wheeled out of the mansion unconscious, she realizes this was Jacqueline's "going-away present" to her. Richard has a lot of third-degree burns and takes several episodes to recover. Angela and Richard feel mutual regret for how things happened. She'd been the original target, but Richard had "taken the hit" for her. Richard felt bad that his mother had tried to hurt/kill Angela. And of course Chao-Li was infuriated that Jacqueline's evil plan had ruined that $400k Oriental rug in the office.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'd like DYNASTY's infamous snow-storm-that-never-happened to coincide with Alexis mindlessly toying with a snow globe in her ColbyCo office.
Needless to say, Krystle was supposed to be imperilled by the disaster cliff hanger. Maybe her car broke down or something, I'm not sure what the plan was.
I'm not even sure if that rumour was actually considered by the writers, I only read about it in a magazine (except for the snow globe part, of course).
Anyway, I'd love to see this being filmed in Twin Peaks style, with Krystle's scene dubbed into the snow globe to suggest that Alexis knows what she's doing.
Kinda unfair and manipulative, but oh well.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, I think they're useful for baddies to contemplate, the world inside the globe symbolising the one they seek to have domain over. But somehow I can't really visualise snow globes in the Ewing-verse: I think JR, Greg and Abby would find them a bit fey and whimsical.
Lol Jock was definitely not a snow globe kind of guy.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Lol Jock was definitely not a snow globe kind of guy.
I think it could also be a metaphorical catalyst in a DALLAS episode.

Jock walks into the drawing room (although he would never call it that).
Whatcha got there, Miss Ellie?
Oh look, Jock, it's one of those snow globes. Patricia gave it to me.
She shakes it.
Isn't it lovely?
You know I don't care very much for snowflakes, Miss Ellie.
The smile disappears from Ellie's face because they both know he's referring to Gary.
That's right. I know you DON'T!
She plants the snow globe on the mantelpiece and marches out of the room.
Jock sighs and picks up the snow globe.
Hm. Silly thing.
He shakes it.
JR walks in.
Can I talk to you for moment, dad? What's that?
Oh...nothing. But I need to talk to your mother first.
Well...it's kinda important.
Later, JR!
JR picks up the snow globe just when Sue Ellen walks into the room.
Thinking about downsizing, JR?

etc etc.
It would end with a snow storm and Gary saves Jock and Ray, and then a freeze frame of Southfork in a snow globe. Like the one I "bought" for forum member Toni in the Secret Santa 2016 thread.
1642204939313.png

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
New DALLAS-wise, I think maybe Carmen and Judith might have been snow globe kind of gals.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You all have great ideas! It's wonderful how one object can generate creativity. I wonder if that's a trick writers ever use- take an object as a starting point and see where it goes.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Imagine if you will....

FC's Jacqueline gets killed and everyone gathers for the will-reading. Angela (and 3/4 of the town) is puzzled when Jacqueline leaves Angela a hand-crafted snow globe. Inside is a miniaturized version of the mansion and tiny vineyards--it's actually rather attractive. Angela, of course wants nothing to do with it---why the heck would that old battle ax leave Angela anything, given their enormous feud? It sits in its box in Angela's office and becomes an object of derision that Angela casts an occasional gaze toward as they discuss Julia's case, but Richard seems to be more preoccupied with it as "a piece of his mother" he wants for himself.

He visits the mansion weeks later and sees that Angela has put the snow globe box on a high shelf out of the line of sight, claiming she wanted to throw it out but Emma said she liked the mini-mansion motif and thought it might become a family heirloom. Angela suggests Richard takes the box down and take it home with him...or she would get Chao-Li to throw it out. Secretly delighted, he pulls it down as Angela walks out of the room rolling her eyes. Richard takes it out of the box and gives it a shake---only to have it come apart at the base, liquid gushing out over Richard's hands and falling to the floor. As the liquid splashes onto the rug, it instantly burns holes in the fabric, and Richard is soon howling in pain as his hands are burned by some type of acid. Angela calls 911 and after Richard is wheeled out of the mansion unconscious, she realizes this was Jacqueline's "going-away present" to her. Richard has a lot of third-degree burns and takes several episodes to recover. Angela and Richard feel mutual regret for how things happened. She'd been the original target, but Richard had "taken the hit" for her. Richard felt bad that his mother had tried to hurt/kill Angela. And of course Chao-Li was infuriated that Jacqueline's evil plan had ruined that $400k Oriental rug in the office.
Great idea! The scars on his hands could be permanent and he would look at them at certain times when he was contemplating either of the two tough dames. In one instance he could be feeling a bit sympathetic toward Angela who uncharacteristically shows concern for his burns and acts a bit maternal toward him. He's wondering what kind of an awful woman Jacqueline was to do something like this. Then at times he's thinking Angela must have done some dreadful things to Jacqueline to drive her to this. Then, of course, he'd look at his hands when he learns Angela is his birth mother and the episode would end on that image- his hands representing how much he was collateral damage in their war.