• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

So, I moved to Dallas in 1980 and my girlfriend's house down there is where they filmed ...

TheDeadBobby

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Groundhog Day
Susan and Steve's house. Actually it was my GF's Dad's house off Parker Rd in Parker.

So the story goes, they get this thing in the mail from Lorimar that they'd like to use their house as a character home on the show and they would be paid so much and can keep any improvements or additions that they make. I went out one time to watch them film and it was cool.
We would often have Dallas watching parties at her house. It was exciting living in that town when the hype of 'Dallas' was going on.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Hello there and thank you for posting the behind the scenes photos. I love to see the cast in action + crew and "off camera"
How lucky she was! Although the house looked quite small really when I saw it close up in 2008.
Id love to have had the cast and crew camped up in my garden.
love BF x

K

Karin Schill

Thanks for sharing your story and photos with us. How exciting it must have been to watch them actually film some scenes for Dallas! :spinning:

Can you remember how many rooms did the "little red brick house" really have?
Did it look very different inside compared to what we saw on the show?

TheDeadBobby

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Groundhog Day
Thanks for sharing your story and photos with us. How exciting it must have been to watch them actually film some scenes for Dallas! :spinning:

Can you remember how many rooms did the "little red brick house" really have?
Did it look very different inside compared to what we saw on the show?
The interior sets were usually filmed in California, or that's what I remember her saying. I was only there for that one session ( I broke up with my GF by then but she still invited me out to watch that one episode which was all outdoors ).

That house wasn't all that large and I only remember the living room which was opened up to the kitchen and snack bar.

Last edited:

TheDeadBobby

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Groundhog Day
Here are two more pix I forgot to add. I didn't take that many photos considering film shooting was sort of expensive in those days. Video would have been cool. They had to cut a scene just because of a stupid airplane way in the background that I don't think anyone would have noticed. :mad:

Last edited:

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They added the fence and put different larger rock gravel in the driveway ... that's all I know of.
This is a fascinating insight to the production. I had no idea they would physically change properties they used for filming but it makes total sense.

TheDeadBobby

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Groundhog Day
One last picture not really related to Ray Krebs house...

My fam came down to Dallas the winter of 80 and I had to show them Southfork. The property isn't really quite as spread out as it seems from the camera shots because they use a wide angle lens which makes it seem larger than it is. Still, it's a lawn I wouldn't want to mow.

Lastkidpicked

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@TheDeadBobby , thank you so much for posting those. Very interesting!

You might want to check out this thread on Dallas shooting locations. http://www.tellytalk.net/threads/locations.6998/page-55#post-277713

There is a humorous post by @AKA Our 80's Life in front of Ray's house. They are parked and filming the house when you hear a car honk in the background. They don't get mad, they just smile and say, "Well, we must be blocking Ray's driveway because somebody just honked and asked us to move along."

Good times. . .

Last edited:

TheDeadBobby

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Groundhog Day
@TheDeadBobby , thank you so much for posting those. Very interesting!

You might want to check out this thread on Dallas shooting locations. http://www.tellytalk.net/threads/locations.6998/page-55#post-277713

There is a humorous post by @AKA Our 80's Life in front of Ray's house. They are parked and filming the house when you hear a car honk in the background. They don't get mad, they just smile and say, "Well, we must be blocking Ray's driveway because somebody just honked and asked us to move along."

Good times. . .
Cool! I'll check that out, it looks interesting.

AKA Our 80's Life

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Napoleon Dynamite
Here are two more pix I forgot to add. I didn't take that many photos considering film shooting was sort of expensive in those days. Video would have been cool. They had to cut a scene just because of a stupid airplane way in the background that I don't think anyone would have noticed. :mad:

Awesome pics!! Thanks so much for sharing these!

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i've always wondered how much booze the cast drank during the show and during the making of it and are there some parts of it they don't remember filming? i've never been to Texas but if i ever do go i'd love to visit southfork and it's pretty sweet about Ray's little house. i'm not surprised on how small it is i always did get the impression that it's really not that big of a house my guess when it was shot they used very little camera's inside and in those days i'm sure they were f.. huge prolly smaller than the ones that Doctor who in the 60's were forced to use but still big. i'm guessing the cast and the crew felt pretty closed off on how small it no doubt was.

Grangehill1

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I went to Dallas in 2008. Visited south fork and then decided to walk round the back to Ray’s old house (it was sweltering!!!!)
The house was having building work at the time and looked like it was having another level fitted

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
man, if I had a girlfriend who lived in that house and got to hang out there it would have been impossible to not pretend to be Ray Krebbs, out in the yard shirtless drinking a beer and pretending to split wood or some similar manly thing Ray was always doing out there. I would have been dumped almost immediately.

TheDeadBobby

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Groundhog Day
man, if I had a girlfriend who lived in that house and got to hang out there it would have been impossible to not pretend to be Ray Krebbs, out in the yard shirtless drinking a beer and pretending to split wood or some similar manly thing Ray was always doing out there. I would have been dumped almost immediately.
The funny thing is, they left all the props there. The round table and shade, chairs, they even built a fence because that's the look they wanted. I think she said they put different gravel in the driveway. So yeah, I could have played Ray's part and nobody would have known different other than the fact that I have brown hair and am only 5'7"

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The funny thing is, they left all the props there. The round table and shade, chairs, they even built a fence because that's the look they wanted. I think she said they put different gravel in the driveway. So yeah, I could have played Ray's part and nobody would have known different other than the fact that I have brown hair and am only 5'7"
this is the one I was thinking of when I said "pretending to split wood" - I guess it looked ok for tv, but from a practical standpoint it's kind of nonsensical what Ray's doing here

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Brilliant thread and photos, thanks @TheDeadBobby .

Am I right in thinking that there wasn't a fireplace where the fireplace should be (judging from where the chimney is). I've only watched the show a million times over but cannot recall it.