Succession

Emelee

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I just saw the season 2 finale tonight. That ending!!!!!!!! :yikey: I can't believe we have to wait almost an entire year for next season. I need it now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This text summarizes my feelings about the finale perfectly:
https://www.vulture.com/2019/10/succession-season-2-finale-ending-kendall-logan-twist.html

Also wanna add: poor Connor. :lol: When Gerri almost referred to Kendall as the firstborn of Logan, but changed it after "fir... second born". The final insult after an episode full of "you embarrass yourself, you embarrass me" talk.

So........ is Logan proud? He got his killer.

Emelee

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Can the pandemic be over already, I want season 3!

Emelee

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Emmy winners 2020:
Outstanding drama series - Succession
Directing for a drama series - Andrij Parekh (Succession, ep. “Hunting”)
Writing for a drama series - Jesse Armstrong (Succession, ep. “This Is Not for Tears”)
Lead actor in a drama series - Jeremy Strong (Kendall Roy, Succession)
Guest actress in a drama series -
Cherry Jones (Succession)

Emelee

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Season 3 will soon (finally) start filming.

Adrien Brody, Alexander Skarsgård, Hope Davis, Saana Lathan, Linda Emond & Jihae will join the season in recurring roles.

Justine Lupe (Willa), David Rasche (Karl Muller) and Fisher Stevens (Hugo Baker) have been upped to series regulars.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I had watched the first episode (maybe two) but it didn't click with me. This was a long time ago so I decided so sample some on youtube.
But now I understand my confusion. It's not really a soap it's more like Arrested Development with more profanity!

Emelee

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I had watched the first episode (maybe two) but it didn't click with me. This was a long time ago so I decided so sample some on youtube.
But now I understand my confusion. It's not really a soap it's more like Arrested Development with more profanity!

I would not call Succession a soap in any way. It's about a family, but that's about the only soap characteristic. Love and relationships are not important on this series. It's about staying on top and not lose your position among that 1% of the rich population who are free to do anything they please. The family name is both a blessing and a curse. And family can be your worst enemy.

I like series with characters who don't strive to be better people than they are. Characters who are fine being selfish, judgemental and non-caring. That's one of the reasons why I absolutely adore Seinfeld.

Richard Channing

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards

It took me a few episodes to get into it. At first I wasn't keen on the shaky cameras and style of filming. But I'm so glad I stuck with it because it really is one of the best TV shows ever made. It gets so good as it goes on. I'm on the fence about whether or not it's a soap as it has many soap elements. If only modern day soaps were this well written. Also I think the fact that the actors are given a lot of freedom and many scenes are ad libbed gives it a kind of realism that you don't find in soaps. I would encourage you to give it another try Willie, you won't be sorry.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's about staying on top and not lose your position among that 1% of the rich population who are free to do anything they please.
Yeah, it appears to be a battle for battle's sake, rather than having these characters feeling genuinely entitled and fit to to be the family company's top dog.
I think it's a very bitchy show and I've also watched a Best Of Roman, he is such a bitch - and the way I like to punish him, well let's say it's not appropriate language for this forum (!).

Emelee

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yeah, it appears to be a battle for battle's sake, rather than having these characters feeling genuinely entitled and fit to to be the family company's top dog.
I think it's a very bitchy show and I've also watched a Best Of Roman, he is such a bitch - and the way I like to punish him, well let's say it's not appropriate language for this forum (!).

All characters have their own agenda. Kendall is driven by his need to show his a-hole father that he is best suited to take over, even if he has to push that father off a cliff. But he's also got a father complex at the same time.
Shiv is driven by her wish to be taken seriously even though she's a woman. She needs to be as fierce as any man she knows.
Roman is mainly a spoiled a-hole who wants everything for nothing, but he's not really happy even though he pretends to be.
Connor just wants to be left out of the circus of misguided power struggles and live in a world he sees fit.
Tom is driven by his need to be taken like a Roy and a real man.
Greg is just lost.
And Logan is driven by becoming stronger and more dominating. He's the only one who knows what it's like to come from "nothing" and he won't give his life's work to anyone who isn't as cut-throat as him and shares his visions. He wants a mini-me who is more Logan Roy than he is.

So while they are despicable and entitled, they have different drives and issues and visions. I love how their different insecurities comes across and how hard they try to hide them to be what they feel is expected from them. Their parents (their mother as well!) have completely ruined them.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Their parents (their mother as well!) have completely ruined them
Intriguing!

Actually, I wasn't criticizing these best of videos. They (especially Roman) look like characters I could love to hate.
And of course it's not SUCCESSION's fault that it isn't a traditional soap opera, it was merely my assumption that it would be more-of-the-same greedy soap glam.
I'd consider trying it again with a fresh point of view or, better still, no point of view at all.
At first I wasn't keen on the shaky cameras and style of filming.
But this could be a serious problem. Thankfully it didn't affect me when I watched THE SHIELD (and there's widespread criticism of that show's filming technique on IMDB) but I wasn't able to finish the first episode of FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS because of the physical effect it had on me. Then it's not really a choice anymore.
I guess not every shaky cam technique is the same shaky cam technique.
And some people are just a little bit more delicate and princess-y :D