Taxi (TV series)

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
TAXI aired on ABC from September 12, 1978, to May 15, 1982, and then on CBS from September 30, 1982, to June 15, 1983. It produced five seasons and 114 half-hour episodes. A popular critical and audience success, the series was won for 18 Emmy Awards, including three for Outstanding Comedy Series.

The series focuses on the lives of taxi drivers in New York City. It stars Judd Hirsch, Jeff Conway, Marilu Henner, Tony Danza, and Christopher Lloyd as taxi drivers, Danny DeVito as their abusive dispatcher, and Andy Kaufman as their mechanic.

Any fans?

1631644346216.png

AndyB2008

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Titanic
TAXI aired on ABC from September 12, 1978, to May 15, 1982, and then on CBS from September 30, 1982, to June 15, 1983. It produced five seasons and 114 half-hour episodes. A popular critical and audience success, the series was won for 18 Emmy Awards, including three for Outstanding Comedy Series.

The series focuses on the lives of taxi drivers in New York City. It stars Judd Hirsch, Jeff Conway, Marilu Henner, Tony Danza, and Christopher Lloyd as taxi drivers, Danny DeVito as their abusive dispatcher, and Andy Kaufman as their mechanic.

Any fans?

View attachment 30308
Taxi for a while was aired by BBC2 prior to the Weakest Link starting.

It didn't last long because of the debut of The Weakest Link and because BBC2 gave it the 5.35pm slot against Neighbours.

There was no streaming or catch up service then, so it was either Taxi or Neighbours.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I loved Taxi. It wasn’t the greatest sitcom of its era but it was highly entertaining. To me it was kind of like Cheers but just set at a taxi company. Maybe an unfair comparison but the premise always seemed kind of similar to me. I thought it had a terrific cast of actors but Danny Devito as the dispatcher completely stole the show. Without him I never would’ve watched it.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
though it 1st came out 4 days before i was born as a matter of fact looking at the date apparently. i do not remember really any tv from the early 80's to be honest. the date i do remember watching anything was in (1986) or was it (1987) ? i forget which movies i remember better than tv shows as i did not really pay attention to tv shows outside of cartoons until around (1986) or (1987) like Alf i remember that 1st coming out and that was in (1987) but Taxi i 1st saw in i'd say the mid 90's.

when Nick at Nite used to air it while i was in high school i love the show i don't own that one but i do plan to at some point. fantastic Cast i have loved Danny Devito since i was a kid. Christopher Lloyd as well. i'd say my favorite Judd Hirsch show isn't Taxi but Numbers i love Numbers.

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I loved Taxi. It wasn’t the greatest sitcom of its era but it was highly entertaining. To me it was kind of like Cheers but just set at a taxi company. Maybe an unfair comparison but the premise always seemed kind of similar to me. I thought it had a terrific cast of actors but Danny Devito as the dispatcher completely stole the show. Without him I never would’ve watched it.
I've thought about it that way before, but now that you've said it, I can picture TAXI as being a precursor of sorts to CHEERS. They both employ the same type of comedy.​

Crimson

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I like TAXI and suspect, were I ever to compile my Top 10 Favorite Sitcoms, it would round out the list. Like WKRP, it was something of an outlier of its era; while most of the sitcoms of the late 70s were intentionally kind of dumb (LAVERNE & SHIRLEY; THREE'S COMPANY -- both of which I kind of like, mind you), TAXI and WKRP called back to the smarter sitcoms from earlier in the decade, most notably MTM. And, of course, the folks behind TAXI went onto create CHEERS and FRASIER, thus continuing the lineage for another 2 decades.

Whereas all of the characters on WKRP were funny (except Andy, presumably meant to be the calm center), TAXI was more balanced. The leads (Alex, Elaine, Tony, Bobby) weren't really that funny, but they were likable and relatable; the supporting characters (Louie; Rev. Jim; Latka and Simka) were broad and hilarious.

Chris2

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've thought about it that way before, but now that you've said it, I can picture TAXI as being a precursor of sorts to CHEERS. They both employ the same type of comedy.​
It was also from the same production company (Paramount) and some of the Cheers braintrust worked on Taxi , such as Cheers creators Glen and Les Charles. Taxi even aired after Cheers in its last season, after it moved to NBC. And Ted Danson, Rhea Perlman, and George Wendt appeared on Taxi.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've thought about it that way before, but now that you've said it, I can picture TAXI as being a precursor of sorts to CHEERS. They both employ the same type of comedy.

TAXI and WKRP called back to the smarter sitcoms from earlier in the decade, most notably MTM. And, of course, the folks behind TAXI went onto create CHEERS and FRASIER, thus continuing the lineage for another 2 decades.
WKRP was from the MTM company. Even though the later shows were from Paramount I always did feel that there was similar sensibility to them; a "lineage" as you say that carried through from Mary Tyler Moore, The Bob Newhart Show and others.

Chris2

LV

Reaction score
Awards
You’re spot on. A lot of those MTM writers and producers from the 70s wound up at Paramount in the 80s, particularly after Grant Tinker left MTM: James L Brooks, Gary David Goldberg, the Charles Brothers, and others.