The Equalizer (2021)

AndyB2008

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Titanic
With The Equalizer renewed for a third and fourth season, it will reach the same number of seasons as the original.
The Edward Woodward original almost got a fifth, as Keith Szarabajika had to pull out of Midnight Caller to reprise his Mickey role.

CBS changed their minds at the last minute though, after getting into a spat with Universal Television over renewing Murder She Wrote. I believe Angela Lansbury's contract on MSW was up for renewal by the time of The Equalizer's fourth season.

MSW and the original Equalizer were made by Universal Television.

CBS and Universal did create another vehicle for Woodward later called Over My Dead Body, about a crime writer in San Francisco solving murder mysteries (looks familiar), which was less successful and pulled off air quickly, with episodes burnt off later. (It suffered from Murder She Wrote comparisons, not helped by Jessica Lundy's casting which gave the cynics more scoffing, not to mention timeslot - it was against Perfect Strangers, and briefly caused a timeslot move for Dallas, which was struggling anyway, to accommodate it)

Last edited:

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i' ve actually never seen the Original before so i can't say which show is better or worse to be fair

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I like both versions but the shows are very different. The New York in the Edward Woodward version is a very dark one. The atmosphere is set in the title credit sequence. The irritating "nervous" music is by Stewart Copeland (from The Police). You get the impression there are attacks at any street corner day or night and everything is dirty - it captures the style of the series really well.

The New York in the Queen Latifah version is much lighter, bright, most of the series is set in daylight. Latifah's nice family scenes and the dynamic of her hacker duo deliver some funnier moments. The streets are clean but there are some deserted industrial buildings where the crimes happen. However both McCalls, Robert (Woodward) and Robyn (Latifah) have something in common: they are very calm and rational characters. Except when Robert was enraged by the villains. Then Robert acted a bit too violent while Robyn manages to suppress acts of self-justice.

This is a fan made intro for the new Equalizer, it must have been difficult to find the darker scenes to fit to Copeland's music.

Last edited:

Monzo

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
The Equalizer is by far the most watched series on network tv among African Americans.
Isn't it strange that Grey's Anatomy and Station 19, two shows that feature issues of African Americans very intensely, are at the bottom of the list?

Last edited:

ChrisSumner

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Equalizer is by far the most watched series on network tv among African Americans.
Isn't it strange that Grey's Anatomy and Station 19, two shows that feature issues of African Americans very intensely, are at the bottom of the list?
Honestly, that doesn't surprise me. Grey's and Station 19 both have diverse casts, but I can definitely understand why.