• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

The Ewing Legacy

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"So, Parmelee had a stroke while he was being booked. They don't expect him to make it."

Good riddance. The nastier he gets it is sounding more like he really IS Jock.
But after everything that's gone down here if it IS him and he snuffs it PLEASE don't let there be the whitewash hero shit there was on the show.

Loving seeing JRo, Chris and Lucy sticking together.

And loved the talk with Miss Ellie and Sue Ellen. I wish Miss Ellie had looked out for them more first time round.

I want JR and Sue Ellen to be together and happy and I have faith (or at least hope) that if they give themselves a chance, they can be be, and JR will keep it in his pants (except where my girl is concerned obvs)

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It’s like you wrote John Ross, Christopher and Lucy for me. I teared up. Thank you. If the 1st generation builds it and the second messes it up (putting it nicely) it’s up to the third to clean up the mess and set things straight.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic takes place approximately two years after "Conundrum" and the end of the original "Dallas" series. It completely disregards both the movie specials and the TNT revival.

The Ewing Legacy

Part Thirty-five:

"I wish you could stay longer."

"Me too, Miss Ellie," Donna sighed. "But we need to get back to DC. And well, to be honest, after the bait and switch JR pulled on us, Andrew wants to get as far away from him as possible."

"I can understand that."

"Miss Ellie, are you going to be okay?"

"I don't know if I'll ever be okay after all that has happened. Jock coming back after all those years. Clayton taking it all so badly. Now Jock in jail and dying."

"Maybe I should stay with you."

"No, Donna. Your life is in Washington now, with your husband. Andrew is obviously uncomfortable here, and with good reason. Don't make the mistake I made with Clayton. Don't put Ewing drama in front of your marriage."

"What are you going to do, Miss Ellie?"

"I don't know, Donna. I honestly don't know."

Jenna hung up the phone and sighed. "That was Ray. The men are at the detention center. It probably won't be long before they see Parmelee.*

Valene nodded and sipped her tea. "What a mess."

"Yes. We all thought Parmelee was gone and out of our lives for good."

"It's so hard to believe Miss Ellie thought he was Jock all this time and never said anything."

"It is. But...well, JR and Bobby would have never accepted him. No matter what."

"What about Ray?"

"Ray has doubts. From the very beginning. He was the only one who thought maybe Parmelee was who he said he was."

"I admit, I never knew Jock that well. But what I did know of him…."

"What?"

Lucy...what she said was right. Jock was a mean and vengeful man when he wanted to be. Parmelee sure acts like Jock Ewing."

"It's just hard for me to believe Jock wouldn't have stayed around and take what was his by force."

"Yes. I agree there. Jock was never a man to back down and run away."

"I wonder if they'll do that DNA test."

"I guess that depends on how badly they want to know the truth. And the Ewings…. let's just say truth is never the number one motivator as to why any of them do anything."

"Sue Ellen?"

Sue Ellen jumped guilty and put the framed picture back on the desk. "I thought you went to the detention center with the rest of the men."

"No," JR told her "that man isn't my daddy and I don't care if he lives or dies. What are you doing in here, Sue Ellen?"

"I...I promise I wasn't snooping. I was checking on the boys and saw the door was open. I don't know why, but I...well, I just couldn't resist."

"I don't think you're snooping, honey. After all, this was your bedroom for a lot of years."

"I haven't been in here since…"

"Since the day I married Cally."

"Yes. How did you know that?"

"I smelled your perfume."

Sue Ellen smiled faintly and turned her attention back to the desk. "Surprised to see that," she nodded at the picture.

JR growled softly and turned away from her. "That was always my favorite picture of us. Do you remember that night?"

"Yes," Sue Ellen nodded. "I remember how in love I was with you."

She reached out and gently ran her hand along the frame. "That was such a lovely evening. But why this picture? Why not one of our wedding photos?"

"The way you were looking at me. With such devotion. That the last Oil Barron's ball before…"

"Before Kimberly Cryder," she grumbled.

"Sue Ellen….why…"

"Why what?"

"You're different. Softer. What happened? Something changed."

Sue Ellen sucked in a deep breath and moved away from him toward the window. "Are you going to call Cally? I know James gave you her phone number."

"I don't know," JR admitted. "I haven't had time to give it much thought."

"James gave me something too."

"What's tha!?"

Sue Ellen reached into her pocket and pulled out the worn envelope. She opened it up, pulled out the letter, and began reading. "My darling, Sue Ellen, tomorrow I am asking another woman to marry me. My heart isn't in it. My heart is with you…"

"Stop it," JR snarled. "How did you...you were never supposed to read that."

"I told you James gave it to me. Vanessa has had it all these years. She said she took it to always remind herself that you never really loved her."

"I didn't. God knows I tried."

"JR, why did you write this and then never give it to me?"

"Sue Ellen, I was drunk when I wrote that letter. I was planning to propose to Vanessa. But I didn't want to. Oh, I wanted to love her. I wanted my happily ever after. But you...you hung over my heart like a ghost who wouldn't move on."

"And this letter was some sort of attempt at an exorcism?"

"Something like that. I guess….I thought if I could get it all out of my system...maybe…"

He stopped talking and walked to the bed. He sat down heavily and shook his head. "I didn't work. Obviously."

"You said you were drunk when you wrote this."

"Yes."

"Too drunk to mean what you said?"

JR laughed shortly and dropped his eyes to the floor. "No, Sue Ellen. I meant every word."

Sue Ellen hesitated for a moment then moved to sit beside him on the bed. "What you said. About how no one else could ever be me, no one else could ever really take my place….I…"

"What?" He pressed her.

"That's exactly how I have always felt about you."

"Sue Ellen…"

They were interrupted by the shrill ringing of the telephone. A few moments later, Lucy appeared in the bedroom doorway. "Sorry to barge in, but that was Bobby on the phone."

"And?" JR snapped.

"Parmelee is demanding to see you. And Grandma."

"Too bad," JR growled.

"He said he'll sign a document saying he isn't Jock Ewing, but he has to talk to the two of you first."

"Not interested."

"Grandma is going. She needs you, JR."

JR rolled his eyes and mumbled a curse word under his breath.

"You need to go, JR," Sue Ellen reached out and stroked his cheek. "For Miss Ellie. I promise I'll stay right here until you get back."

JR met her eyes and nodded slowly. He turned back to Lucy. "Go tell Mama I'll be down in a minute."

"We're not done with this talk, Sue Ellen," he said once they were alone again.

"I know, JR. But...I need to know…"

"You need to know what?"

Sue Ellen chewed on her bottom lip nervously. "Do you... is there... I mean can we…"

JR reached out and put his hands on her shoulders. "Are you trying to ask me if I want to be with you, honey?"

"Well, since you've been back in my life you haven't made one move towards me…"

Her words were cut off my JR's hot mouth. He kissed her with passionate abandon. Her body responded to him immediately. She sank against his chest and kissed him back with all her strength.

The kiss went on and on, until they were both moaning and squirming with want. When JR finally lifted his head, he stared down into her lust filled eyes. "Does that answer your question, Miss Texas?"

Sue Ellen couldn't speak. She nodded and blushed deeply.

JR gently kissed her cheek and stood up. "I want Wes Parmelee out of my life. I want Ewing Oil. I want John Ross. But you, Sue Ellen? It's you I want most of all."

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic takes place approximately two years after "Conundrum" and the end of the original "Dallas" series. It completely disregards both the movie specials and the TNT revival.

The Ewing Legacy

Part Thirty-five:

"I wish you could stay longer."

"Me too, Miss Ellie," Donna sighed. "But we need to get back to DC. And well, to be honest, after the bait and switch JR pulled on us, Andrew wants to get as far away from him as possible."

"I can understand that."

"Miss Ellie, are you going to be okay?"

"I don't know if I'll ever be okay after all that has happened. Jock coming back after all those years. Clayton taking it all so badly. Now Jock in jail and dying."

"Maybe I should stay with you."

"No, Donna. Your life is in Washington now, with your husband. Andrew is obviously uncomfortable here, and with good reason. Don't make the mistake I made with Clayton. Don't put Ewing drama in front of your marriage."

"What are you going to do, Miss Ellie?"

"I don't know, Donna. I honestly don't know."

Jenna hung up the phone and sighed. "That was Ray. The men are at the detention center. It probably won't be long before they see Parmelee.*

Valene nodded and sipped her tea. "What a mess."

"Yes. We all thought Parmelee was gone and out of our lives for good."

"It's so hard to believe Miss Ellie thought he was Jock all this time and never said anything."

"It is. But...well, JR and Bobby would have never accepted him. No matter what."

"What about Ray?"

"Ray has doubts. From the very beginning. He was the only one who thought maybe Parmelee was who he said he was."

"I admit, I never knew Jock that well. But what I did know of him…."

"What?"

Lucy...what she said was right. Jock was a mean and vengeful man when he wanted to be. Parmelee sure acts like Jock Ewing."

"It's just hard for me to believe Jock wouldn't have stayed around and take what was his by force."

"Yes. I agree there. Jock was never a man to back down and run away."

"I wonder if they'll do that DNA test."

"I guess that depends on how badly they want to know the truth. And the Ewings…. let's just say truth is never the number one motivator as to why any of them do anything."

"Sue Ellen?"

Sue Ellen jumped guilty and put the framed picture back on the desk. "I thought you went to the detention center with the rest of the men."

"No," JR told her "that man isn't my daddy and I don't care if he lives or dies. What are you doing in here, Sue Ellen?"

"I...I promise I wasn't snooping. I was checking on the boys and saw the door was open. I don't know why, but I...well, I just couldn't resist."

"I don't think you're snooping, honey. After all, this was your bedroom for a lot of years."

"I haven't been in here since…"

"Since the day I married Cally."

"Yes. How did you know that?"

"I smelled your perfume."

Sue Ellen smiled faintly and turned her attention back to the desk. "Surprised to see that," she nodded at the picture.

JR growled softly and turned away from her. "That was always my favorite picture of us. Do you remember that night?"

"Yes," Sue Ellen nodded. "I remember how in love I was with you."

She reached out and gently ran her hand along the frame. "That was such a lovely evening. But why this picture? Why not one of our wedding photos?"

"The way you were looking at me. With such devotion. That the last Oil Barron's ball before…"

"Before Kimberly Cryder," she grumbled.

"Sue Ellen….why…"

"Why what?"

"You're different. Softer. What happened? Something changed."

Sue Ellen sucked in a deep breath and moved away from him toward the window. "Are you going to call Cally? I know James gave you her phone number."

"I don't know," JR admitted. "I haven't had time to give it much thought."

"James gave me something too."

"What's tha!?"

Sue Ellen reached into her pocket and pulled out the worn envelope. She opened it up, pulled out the letter, and began reading. "My darling, Sue Ellen, tomorrow I am asking another woman to marry me. My heart isn't in it. My heart is with you…"

"Stop it," JR snarled. "How did you...you were never supposed to read that."

"I told you James gave it to me. Vanessa has had it all these years. She said she took it to always remind herself that you never really loved her."

"I didn't. God knows I tried."

"JR, why did you write this and then never give it to me?"

"Sue Ellen, I was drunk when I wrote that letter. I was planning to propose to Vanessa. But I didn't want to. Oh, I wanted to love her. I wanted my happily ever after. But you...you hung over my heart like a ghost who wouldn't move on."

"And this letter was some sort of attempt at an exorcism?"

"Something like that. I guess….I thought if I could get it all out of my system...maybe…"

He stopped talking and walked to the bed. He sat down heavily and shook his head. "I didn't work. Obviously."

"You said you were drunk when you wrote this."

"Yes."

"Too drunk to mean what you said?"

JR laughed shortly and dropped his eyes to the floor. "No, Sue Ellen. I meant every word."

Sue Ellen hesitated for a moment then moved to sit beside him on the bed. "What you said. About how no one else could ever be me, no one else could ever really take my place….I…"

"What?" He pressed her.

"That's exactly how I have always felt about you."

"Sue Ellen…"

They were interrupted by the shrill ringing of the telephone. A few moments later, Lucy appeared in the bedroom doorway. "Sorry to barge in, but that was Bobby on the phone."

"And?" JR snapped.

"Parmelee is demanding to see you. And Grandma."

"Too bad," JR growled.

"He said he'll sign a document saying he isn't Jock Ewing, but he has to talk to the two of you first."

"Not interested."

"Grandma is going. She needs you, JR."

JR rolled his eyes and mumbled a curse word under his breath.

"You need to go, JR," Sue Ellen reached out and stroked his cheek. "For Miss Ellie. I promise I'll stay right here until you get back."

JR met her eyes and nodded slowly. He turned back to Lucy. "Go tell Mama I'll be down in a minute."

"We're not done with this talk, Sue Ellen," he said once they were alone again.

"I know, JR. But...I need to know…"

"You need to know what?"

Sue Ellen chewed on her bottom lip nervously. "Do you... is there... I mean can we…"

JR reached out and put his hands on her shoulders. "Are you trying to ask me if I want to be with you, honey?"

Her words were cut off my JR's hot mouth. He kissed her with passionate abandon. Her body responded to him immediately. She sank against his chest and kissed him back with all her strength.

The kiss went on and on, until they were both moaning and squirming with want. When JR finally lifted his head, he stared down into her lust filled eyes. "Does that answer your question, Miss Texas?"

JR gently kissed her cheek and stood up. "I want Wes Parmelee out of my life. I want Ewing Oil. I want John Ross. But you, Sue Ellen? It's you I want most of all."

Those are all needs for JR. His problem is not that he wants those things, he needs them, and he while probably hates the idea of needing anything or anyone, it’s about time he wises up and gives in.

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards

FINALLY.

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Those are all needs for JR. His problem is not that he wants those things, he needs them, and he while probably hates the idea of needing anything or anyone, it’s about time he wises up and gives in.

Right on!.

I'm putting my faith in you JR. Don't let me (or more importantly Sue Ellen and lil JRo) down

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I hate to put this in here but I have to put it somewhere on this site. I might be a bit absent for a while. My wife of 28 years died on Monday morning, suddenly. On the Ides of March this year will be the 31 year anniversary of our first kiss. I was the luckiest man ever to exist for a brief time.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I hate to put this in here but I have to put it somewhere on this site. I might be a bit absent for a while. My wife of 28 years died on Monday morning, suddenly. On the Ides of March this year will be the 31 year anniversary of our first kiss. I was the luckiest man ever to exist for a brief time.

I am so sorry. I can not even imagine what you are going through.

You couldn't have picked a better song in tribute to her.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards

The Ewing Legacy

Part Thirty-six:

Katherine listened carefully until she heard the front door close. Pam was going out to run some errands. This might be the best chance she had to use the phone in private.

She carefully slipped out of her bed, wincing in pain. She moved to her bedroom door, opened it, and made her way to the living room. She picked up the phone, took a deep breath, and dialed the number from memory.

"Hello?"

"It's me…Katherine."

"Katherine?! What the hell do you…"

"Shut up and listen to me. Pam is with me. She needs your help. Now."

"Pam made it clear…"

"Pam didn't know what she was saying. It's a very long story and I don't have time to tell it to you right now. She's in trouble. If you don't help her she's going to be all alone. Please!"

"I don't…alright. Tell me where she is."

"Thank you, Cliff. You're saving her."

"From you?"

"No. From herself."

Sue Ellen folded up JR's letter and put it in her pocket.

He loved her.

He always had.

But he had never been able to overcome his need for power. That need always led him to other women.

She wondered if things would be different this time. He was older now after all. Surely he had lost some of his desire to carouse like an ally cat.

But…

Could she take that chance? Could she rearrange her life, uproot her son and move back to Dallas? Could she ever believe JR could be faithful to her?

"Hey. How are you holding up?"

Sue Ellen jumped in surprise at the sound of Lucy's voice. "Me? I'm just fine. Why do you ask?"

"Well, you DID kill a man today Sue Ellen."

"Oh. Yes. I don't…maybe it just hasn't hit me yet, but I don't really feel much about that. He was hurting you and John Ross after all."

"Yeah. Complete self defense. Listen, speaking of John Ross…"

"What?"

"He knows a lot more about everything then he lets on. So does Christopher."

"What are you talking about, Lucy?"

"They know Kristen is Christopher's real mother."

"That's not…" Sue Ellen paused and sucked in a deep breath. "How can that be?"

"He heard you and JR arguing about it. He told Christopher."

"Oh, my God…"

"Listen, John Ross is insistent that Christopher be included in ownership at Ewing Oil. And I agree with him."

"Lucy, there are many Ewing grandchildren now. If we include everyone…"

"No other Ewing children have the claim the three of us do. We were all raised at Southfork. We all had our lives destroyed over the constant battles for that company. We've earned it."

"JR won't like it."

"I know. But I have an idea to appeal to him. Will you back me?"

"Lucy…"

"It's what John Ross wants."

"I'll talk to John Ross myself. If this is what he truly wants, I'll support you."

"Good. Because without your approval, there's not a chance in hell JR will even hear me out."

"Don't get your hopes up, Lucy," Sue Ellen warned. "He's liable to refuse to hear you out no matter what I say. As much as JR wants to make me happy right now, nothing…and I mean nothing means more to him than Ewing Oil."

"What is he doing here?" JR mumbled, pointing at his step-father.

"Parmelee insisted he be here," Bobby sighed. "Took a lot of convincing. Ray practically had to beg."

"You know what this is all about?"

"No. Only that Parmelee said he had a lot to say but wouldn't say it unless you and Mama and Clayton were here too."

"I'm not interested in a damn thing that bastard has to tell us," JR growled. "I'm only here for Mama."

"Understood," Bobby said. "Let's get this over with. Parmelee is in the sick ward. Ray and Gary are already in there with him."

JR nodded and walked over to take Miss Ellie's hand. "You ready?"

"No," she confessed softly, "but I suppose I will never be ready for this, will I?"

Ellie took JR's arm and let him lead her down the hallway. They followed Bobby and Clayton and were buzzed through several doors before being met by a doctor outside Parmelee's room.

"I'm Dr. Ashten. Mr. Parmelee is very weak. Normally I wouldn't allow visitors, but this is an extraordinary circumstance. I should tell you all I don't expect him to make it through the night. Please try to keep him as calm as possible."

Dr. Ashten waited for a few moments, but when no one responded he sighed heavily and opened the door. JR led Ellie in and seated her in a chair beside Parmelee's bed.

"Can you hear me, Jock?"

He opened his eyes and smiled faintly. "Hello, Miss Ellie. Thank you for coming."

"What do you want?" JR snapped.

"I want her to tell you all why."

"Why what?" Bobby asked.

"Why she let me go."

"What are you talking about?" Clayton demanded.

"Tell them, Ellie," Parmelee insisted softly.

"Jock, please no. They don't need to hear that."

"Of course they do, Ellie. And you're going to tell them exactly what you said to me all those years ago at the BBQ."

"Why?" Miss Ellie's voice sounded strangled.

"Why?" Jock mocked her. "Because you know damn well that I am Jock Ewing. And you need to tell them that the reason you asked me to leave you alone is because you knew I was telling the truth."

"This is a waste of time," JR growled.

"Tell them Ellie!" Jock's voice grew loud and forceful. "You tell our sons how you told me. Tell them you didn't want me around not because I was an imposter, but because I AM Jock Ewing. Tell them!"

Ellie squared her shoulders, raised her chin, and looked Jock right in the eye. "Yes," he voice was calm and even. "I knew you were Jock. And I told you to leave because I was happy. We were all happier without you. And I wanted you gone because I had no interest in living with you ever again. I didn't want to go back to being married to a monster."

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards

I'm so sorry for your loss ❤

Honkytonkangel

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ellie squared her shoulders, raised her chin, and looked Jock right in the eye. "Yes," he voice was calm and even. "I knew you were Jock. And I told you to leave because I was happy. We were all happier without you. And I wanted you gone because I had no interest in living with you ever again. I didn't want to go back to being married to a monster."

FINALLY.

Jock WASN'T a great man and they WERE all better off without him.

#Team Clayton forever.

K

Karin Schill

@stevew I'm also sorry for your loss. The song you posted is so bittersweet considering what you're going through. :(
I have never heard it before. But it's beautiful.

@CeeCee72 awesome updates. I'm all caught up now.
You know if Parmalee really was Jock I am starting to feel a bit sorry for him the way his whole family turned his back on him and didn't believe him.
I can't blame Miss Ellie for rather being married to Clayton though as I always preferred Clayton over Jock too!

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards

The Ewing Legacy

Part Thirty-seven:

Ellie took a deep breath and looked around the room. She wanted to see how her son's reacted to what she'd just said. Gary looked confused. Ray looked anxious. Bobby looked furious. JR's face was totally unreadable.

She shook her head slightly and fixed her eyes on Clayton. To her surprise, he met her with a calm, steady gaze. Somehow, that gave her the courage to continue.

"When Jock's plane went down and we lost him. I was shattered. I loved that man so much. He had been my life. You boys were all devastated too. There were days I thought our grief would destroy us."

"But then…then my grief…it slowly turned to anger. After the will was read…he…"

Her words choked in her throat. She buried her face in her hands and sobbed softly.

Clayton sighed heavily and walked over to put his hand on her shoulder. "It's alright, Ellie," he softly encouraged her. "Take your time."

"The will. I was so furious. It was bad enough that Jock pitted our sons against one another in life. But to make them compete for his approval even after his death…it was too much. And then… the years passed. I got used to life without him. It's true that I missed him sometimes, but over the years, it was less and less. By the time he reappeared as Wes Parmelee…"

"What?" Bobby pushed her.

"Oh, Bobby. Everyone was so…settled. You and Pam had reconciled and were happy. Gary was doing well in California. Ray was starting to make his own way in business. Even JR and Sue Ellen were doing well. Sue Ellen had stopped drinking and become successful. She and JR were still living separate lives but it seemed like they were getting along. And I… I had Clayton. I finally understood what it was like to have a husband who viewed me as a partner and a friend. A man who was gentle and who put our family first. And I knew…I knew if Jock came back, soon enough, you and JR would be back at each other's throats fighting over Ewing Oil. It would destroy our family. You and Pam might not make it and Sue Ellen might start drinking again. Most of all, I knew I would lose Clayton. And I just couldn't….I just couldn't!"

"So you lied to us," Bobby shook his head. "Mama, I don't understand. You and Daddy always seemed so much in love."

"Oh, Bobby. We were very much in love. But all love doesn't isn't healthy and sometimes it doesn't make you happy. I guess I never realized that I wasn't happy with Jock until he was gone."

"That man isn't my daddy," JR finally spoke. His voice was raw and angry. "And I won't stay here and listen to Jock Ewing be defamed for one more minute."

"Come on, JR," Ray tried to stop his brother as he got up and moved to the door.

"No," Ellie stopped Ray. "Please. Just let him go."

"You should have told me you knew," Sue Ellen sighed.

"You shouldn't have so many secrets," John Ross shot back at her. "I know lots of stuff. You and Daddy think you're so good at protecting me, but I heard all the fights. I know about the other women and the other men and the drinking and how I almost died when I was born,..I know it all."

"John Ross…"

"It's okay, Mom. I've known for a long time. It doesn't mean I don't love you both or that I don't know how much you both love me."

"Why do you want Christopher to have Ewing Oil?"

"He's the same as me. He's heard his fair share of secrets. He's lived the same life. He's a Ewing and my best friend. And I don't want Ewing Oil making us hate each other. I don't want me and Christopher to end up fighting all the time like Daddy and Uncle Bobby."

"Oh, John Ross…"

"Are you and Daddy going to get back together?"

"I… I don't know, John Ross. It's complicated."

"Everything around here is always complicated. Will you help me Mom? Will you help me make sure Christopher gets what should be his?"

"Your father…." Sue Ellen stopped mid-sentence and reached out to gently stroke her son's face. "Yes, my sweet boy. Yes I will help you. You and I will protect Christopher together."

John Ross cried out in relief and wrapped his arms around her neck. "I knew you would! Thank you, Mama. Thank you!"

Sur Ellen hugged him close and soothed him with gentle words. She was determined to do as he had asked her.

But JR…

JR would fight her every step of the way.

Even if it meant losing her forever."

Bobby paced back and forth in the waiting room, cursing under his breath. "What is taking so long?"

Ray shrugged helplessly and turned to look out the window. "Guess they have a lot to say to one another."

Jock had demanded everyone leave his room so that he could speak to Ellie in private. The men were waiting for her, but she had been in there over twenty minutes.

"Maybe we should go check on her," Gary said.

"No," Clayton said firmly. "Leave them alone."

"But Clayton…"

Gary's words were cut off when Ellie suddenly came through the door, followed closely by Dr. Ashten.

"What happened, Mama?" Bobby asked her softly.

"What happened?" She repeated in a small voice. "He passed away," she said tonelessly. "Jock Ewing is finally dead."

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Not sure how I missed that there was more great work by @CeeCee72 but there is and I have started. I thought it must be Lucy or James JR was working with, not sure why, but Jack does make sense. I'm not up to date quite yet so I'll keep reading. Enjoying the story so far :)

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Oh I misread, it was Lucy. Not quite caught up yet but this is dramatic!

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
All caught up now. What a drama. Loving the JR/SE stuff and even John Ross and Lucy bonding is nice. James is decent too. Can't wait to read more :)

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I apologize for the lack of updates. Lost my way on this fic for a while and needed time to think through it.

The Ewing Legacy

Part Thirty-eight:

Lucy took a deep breath and poured bourbon into a large glass. As small as she was, and as tiny as she was, she knew this much pure booze at once would make her loopy. And that was fine by her.

She brought the glass up to her lips and downed the burning liquid in a few gulps. She immediately moved to make herself a refill.

"That's a lot of liquor for such a little woman," a deep voice came from behind her.

"Go away, Jack," Lucy grumbled at him. "I don't want any company."

"Everyone will be back soon. Probably won't be good if they come home and catch you drunk."

"I told you to leave me alone."

"Lucy… I know you're hurting…"

"Shut up," she growled. "You don't know anything about me. None of you do." She took another long drink then slammed the glass down onto the bar. "Except JR. JR knows everything about me."

"Why do you say that?"

"Why?" Lucy laughed bitterly. "Because I'm just like him. And I hate that. It makes me miserable. So if you don't mind, I'd like to drown my misery. Alone."

"So, Jock…or Parmelee…or whoever he is is finally dead?"

"That's what Ray said on the phone," Jenna answered her sister-in-law. "He said they were all on their way back to Southfork."

"Everyone?" Valene asked. "Even Clayton?"

"He didn't specifically mention Clayton," Jenna shrugged.

"Miss Ellie…"

"I know," Jenna sighed heavily. "I'm worried about her too."

"This is all so awful."

"Yes. And honestly, as much as this family has been through…I'm just not sure how it survives now."

"What do you mean?"

"Half of them are going to want to know. The other half…JR specifically…"

"JR doesn't get to make the decision for everyone else."

Jenna narrowed her eyes on Valene's face. "Don't be naive. If JR decides there will never be a DNA test, there won't be. And it doesn't matter what anyone else needs or wants. JR will destroy us all rather than face the truth."

"Oh, Jenna…"

"Mark my words, Val. JR will let this family be torn to pieces rather than ever have to admit that Wes Parmelee was Jock Ewing. There's a storm coming. And this family won't survive it."

"Are you alright, Katherine? You're very quiet this evening."

"I'm fine, Pam," Katherine assured her. "Just a little tired I think."

"Can I get you anything?"

"No, thank you. I'm fine. I think I'd like to lie down and rest for a bit."

"Of course," Pam stood and moved to the door. "Call for me if you need anything."

Katherine nodded and watched Pam walk from the bedroom and shut the door behind her. She looked over at the clock on her bedside table and wondered how long it would be before Cliff showed up.

"Not long, I hope," she mumbled to herself. She was fading fast. She knew in her heart that she didn't have much time left. Cliff needed to hurry. Who knew what Pam would do once Katherine passed away? She felt guilty about going behind Pam's back and calling Cliff…

"But I had to do it," she whispered. "Otherwise, Pam might go completely crazy and disappear forever…or worse.

"Hurry, Cliff. Please hurry."

"Give me another," Ray handed his empty glass to Bobby.

Bobby nodded and made his brother another drink.

"You have no idea how badly I want one of those right now," Gary nodded at the glass. "I'd even take one of doctor Danvers' infamous tranquilizers."

"Speaking of drinking," Bobby sighed, "Lucy looked pretty lit when we got home."

"She's struggling," Jack murmured from the corner. "We all are."

"Don't ask me to have any sympathy for you," Bobby growled. "You caused a lot of this mess."

"I didn't cause any of it," Jack defended himself. "Jock would have done everything he did with or without my help."

"Maybe," Bobby shot back. "But you damn sure could have warned us. And don't call him Jock. Wes Parmelee was NOT my father."

"About that…" Jack dug into his back pocket and pulled out an envelope. "Jock wanted a DNA test with John Ross, but you're right. He could have proved who he was by comparing his DNA to mine."

"But he didn't," Gary reminded him.

"No, he didn't," Jack agreed with him. "But I did."

"You did what?"

"I took a hair from his comb, a swab from my cheek, and I took them both to a lab."

"Why would you do that?" Ray demanded, his voice angry and shocked.

"Because I knew none of you would," Jack said matter-of-factly. "I haven't looked at the results. The envelope is still sealed."

He tried to hand the envelope to Bobby, but Bobby refused to take it, instead turning his back to his cousin and walking away.

Jack rolled his eyes and put the envelope on the bar. "The truth is right there," he told them. "All you guys have to decide is if you're men enough to handle it."

He turned and walked from the room and disappeared out the front door.

"Jesus," Ray growled under his breath. "What are we going to do? We have to look…"

"Don't you touch that envelope!" Bobby snapped. "We do nothing. Not until JR gets back and we can all discuss it together."

"Where is JR?" Gary wondered out loud.

"Nowhere good," Bobby said flatly. "I'd bet every penny I have that our big brother is out there up to no good. And whatever he's doing, it's liable to come back and bite us all in the ass."

"Do you think she'll be alright?"

Sue Ellen shut Lucy's bedroom door from the outside and nodded at Valene. "Yes. She just needs to sleep this off."

"I know she's dealing with a lot. But I hate to see her like this. It reminds me of the bad days with Gary…" Valene stopped abruptly when she saw the look on Sue Ellen's face. "I'm sorry, Sue Ellen. I didn't mean…."

"It's alright," Sue Ellen assured her. "I am an alcoholic. Just like Gary. But Lucy will be fine. She just needed to blow off a little steam."

"Maybe," Valene said. "Still it bothers me."

*You have nothing to worry about. I know all the signs. Lucy doesn't have a problem. But I…"

"What?"

"I can't stay here Valene. I thought…oh, it doesn't matter what I thought. This place…so many bad memories…"

"You have good memories here too though," Valene reminded her.

"Not enough of them," Sue Ellen said bitterly. "I had convinced myself I could…that JR and I…I just can't. I have got to get out of here before I fall apart and do something stupid."

"Don't you want to wait until JR gets back?"

"No," Sue Ellen said firmly, "I don't. Seeing him right now would only make it harder for me to leave."

"Where will you go?"

"To a hotel. I'll leave John Ross here. Just for tonight. Tomorrow I'll make arrangements to go back to England."

"But Sue Ellen…"

"Please, Val," Sue Ellen's voice sounded desperate. "I have to get away from this place, and away from him! Just…keep an eye on John Ross for me. And please, whatever you do, don't tell JR where I've gone."

"Alright, Sue Ellen," Val gave in reluctantly. "But I think you're making a huge mistake."

"The only mistake would be to stay here and to let JR suck me back into his life. I love that man. I always will. And he loves me. But being here…being with him…. It will destroy me."

JR grimaced at his ringing mobile phone, picked it up, rejected the call, and slammed it back down onto the bar.

"Another," he barked at the bartender, sliding him his empty glass.

He was getting drunk.

He knew everyone was waiting for him back at Southfork. He knew he had promised Sue Ellen to come straight back to her.

But he didn't care. He wanted to be alone.

And he wanted to be drunk.

And all of them - his mother, his brothers, even Sue Ellen - they could all wait until the end of time so far as he was concerned.

He needed time. He needed space.

And he needed to not feel the pain.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards

The Ewing Legacy

Part Thirty-nine:

Sue Ellen sat on the edge of the bed and concentrated on not crying.

God, she wanted a drink.

Desperately.

Good thing she'd had the hotel staff remove the mini bar from the room.

"What were you thinking?" She ground out to her reflection in the dresser's mirror. "That you and JR could start over and live happily ever after? You are a damn fool."

Being at Southfork…it felt like coming home for a while. But then…

Everywhere she looked there were reminders of the bad days - of the awful times with JR.

The wallpaper…the wine bottle she had thrown and smashed against it that caused the fire…Holly Harwood.

The bed…the mattress that she'd had to replace because JR had screwed Afton Cooper right there in their marital bed.

Cally and JR's wedding….seeing him come out of what had been her bedroom after gleefully consummating his marriage to a much younger woman.

The balcony…how he had thrown all of her belongings at her after the Kimberly Cryder affair.

Miss Ellie was right. JR could never be faithful to her. She had foolishly believed their love for one another could give them a new chance, a fresh start.

But all the reminders….they made her understand.

She and JR had fresh starts before. None of them amounted to anything but pain and anger.

And she couldn't repeat history.

Never again.

She just wasn't strong enough.

"I don't understand, Cliff.," Bobby said into the phone. "You told me you wanted nothing to do with Pam."

"That was before Katherine called me," Cliff explained. "Pam needs my help and I am damn sure going to give it to her."

"Cliff, you know better than to believe a single word Katherine says!"

"I believe her about this, Bobby. And if she is telling the truth and I didn't go, I would never forgive myself. And I know you want to find her. You and Ray traipsed all over Europe…."

"That was before I knew she was with Katherine of her own free will. You're making a huge mistake, Cliff," Bobby told him. "And I'm sitting this one out."

"Understood," Cliff told him. "I'll call you after I see Pam."

"Don't bother," Bobby snapped. "If Pam wanted to have anything to do with me, she knows damn well where to find me."

He slammed the phone down and absently rubbed his temples.

"Dad?"

Bobby's head jerked up and he saw Christopher standing in his doorway. "Son… listen…"

"It's okay, Dad," Christopher shook his head. "I don't want to know. John Ross and I want to go swimming but all of the adults are…"

"I'll take you down,' Bobby told him. "Give me a few minutes to put my trunks on."

"Okay, Dad," Christopher started to leave the room.

"Wait! Son, about your mother…"

"Don't, Dad," Christopher interrupted him. "I told you I don't want to know. And I really meant it.

"Miss Ellie still refuses to come out of her room."

Ray looked up and shrugged at his wife. "Can't say I blame her."

"Do you think we should call Clayton?"

"No, I don't," Ray answered firmly. "I think we should mind our own business."

"But Ray…"

"Your husband is right," JR snarled, coming into the kitchen from behind them. "This is Ewing business. You two are Krebbs."

Ray rolled his eyes and decided to let the snide remark pass. "Where have you been, JR?"

"None of your business, Ray."

"You smell like you took a bath in bourbon."

"Take your own advice and mind your own damn business," JR snapped. He brushed past them and made a beeline for the staircase. He stomped up the stairs, walked to the end of the hall, and flung open the door to his bedroom. "I'm back," he announced loudly. He growled under his breath when there was no answer. "Sue Ellen!" He yelled louder. He went to the bathroom and growled again when he saw it was as empty as his bedroom. He turned on his heels and made his way down the hall to John Ross's room. "Boy!" He called out. But there was still no answer. His son's bedroom was just as empty as his own.

"He's out in the pool with Bobby and Christopher."

JR turned slowly and faced his mother. "Where's Sue Ellen?"

"She left."

"She what?"

"You heard me, JR. She left."

"Where did she go?"

"Why should I tell you?"

"Don't play games with me, Mama."

"This is no game," Ellie told him, her voice low, but steady. "You're just like him, but you know that, don't you?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Jock. You're exactly like him. You only ever think about yourself and what you want. The welfare of others never even enters your mind."

"You don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't I?" Ellie mocked him. "And yet it never occurred to you what dragging Sue Ellen back to Southfork would do to her, did it?"

"Do to her?"

"All the memories. The fighting. The affairs. The drinking. She couldn't take it, JR. So she left you. Again. And this time, I hope for her own sake that she stays gone."

JR stood, still and speechless as he watched his mother retreat back to her bedroom and slam the door behind her.

"I…I know where she went," a timid voice came from behind him.

JR slowly turned and saw Valene. He raised an eyebrow at her but remained silent.

"She…she told me where to find her in case John Ross needed her."

"Is that so?" JR challenged her. "And you want to what? Taunt me because she told you and not me?"

"No. Nothing like that. I just…I just thought maybe you'd want…"

"Maybe I'd want what?"

"I'll tell you. If you want to know."

"Why?" JR narrowed his eyes on her face. "Why would you, of all people, want to help me?"

"I don't know, JR," Valene answered honestly. "I just feel in my heart that I should."

"She'll be very angry at you."

"Yes. But it's not like Sue Ellen and I are close enough for me to care how mad she gets at me. Besides…"

"Besides what?" JR prodded.

"Miss Ellie is wrong. "

"About what?"

"A lot of things," Val snapped. "Do you want to know where Sue Ellen is or not?"

"Yes,I do," JR chuckled. "So do tell."

K

Karin Schill

Thanks for the updates. I look forward to find out if Wes Parmalee really was Jock.

Also I hope JR will go after Sue Ellen.