The Ewings: Father's and Families

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic takes place during season four of "Dallas" and the timeline breaks during the episode "Blackmail."

The Ewings: Fathers and Family

Part Twelve

"JR? Mrs. Krebbs is here to see you."

JR rolled his eyes and bit back a groan. Barry would be showing up at any time with Christopher's test results. The last thing he needed was for Donna to be poking around. "Send her in," he finally snapped into the intercom.

"Thanks for seeing me, JR," Donna glided into the room and sat down in a chair across from the desk.

"Make it fast, Donna. I'm busy this morning."

"I want to talk to you about my book."

"What about it?"

"My publisher is putting a lot of pressure on me to finish. Bobby asked me to hold off until he could get through to Miss Ellie, but I'm running out of time."

"And I should care because?"

"You told me you wouldn't fight me."

"That's right. So?"

"So…JR I was hoping maybe you could talk to Miss Ellie. Try to make her understand that I'm not writing anything that isn't true and that she's being unreasonable."

"Now hold on, just a minute, lady," JR leaned back in his chair and leveled his eyes on her face, "just because I don't care about that book doesn't mean my Mama doesn't. I told you, she doesn't know the full man that my daddy was."

"I know. That's why I'm hoping you'll…"

"No," he cut her off in mid sentence. "Mama is still grieving. What you're writing may be the truth, but it's gonna hurt her. I told you I wouldn't fight you and I won't, but I won't make it easy on you either."

"JR…"

"You have to decide what's more important to you. My Mama's feelings or that damn book. You're the only one who can make that decision. And I told you I was busy. We're done."

"Coming here was a huge mistake," Donna growled, standing up.

"Obviously," JR growled back at her, "Shut your door on the way out."

Lucy carefully brushed out her hair and tried to organize her thoughts.

She'd talked to Muriel, and neither of them had any memory of leaving the club or how they had gotten back to the apartment.

On top of that, Lucy had a wicked headache and felt slightly queasy.

"You're just hung over," she whispered to the reflection in her vanity's mirror.

There was a sudden, brief knock at the door and Teresa's voice floated into the room. "Miss Lucy, you have a call from a gentleman named Paulie."

Lucy stood up carefully and moved to the phone beside her bed. "Hello?"

"Good morning, beautiful. How are you today?"

"I feel a little hung over," Lucy told him. "How did you get this number?"

"You gave it to me, silly. Don't you remember?"

"No… I don't…I actually don't remember much of anything about last night. How did Muriel and I get back to her apartment?"

"I dropped you off. I offered to take you all the way home, but you insisted you wanted to stay there."

"How much did I have to drink?"

"Too much. You and your friend both got pretty loaded. That's why we took you home. My cousin followed us in your car so it would be there when you woke up."

"Did anything happen? I mean did we…"

"No, Lucy. We helped you into the apartment and left. I wouldn't take advantage of you that way."

"I just wish I could remember."

"There's nothing to remember. I promise. We drank and danced and we took you home."

"Alright," Lucy nodded, absently rubbing her forehead. "Thanks for calling. I feel better."

"Good. Because I'd really like to see you again."

Lucy was quiet for just a few seconds before signing softly. "I think I'd like that, Paulie. I think I'd like it very much."

"What do you think, John Ross? Think your daddy will like this?"

Sue Ellen held the green silk up against her body and examined her reflection in the mirror.

She had informed Miss Ellie she would be visiting Southfork this afternoon and then decided to take John Ross out to do a little shopping. "Your Daddy always said I look pretty in green."

"Sue Ellen?"

Sue Ellen stiffened at the sound of the familiar voice. She took a deep breath and slowly turned around. "Hello, Marilee."

"That's quite a rock on your hand. I heard congratulations are in order."

"Yes," Sue Ellen said smoothly. "JR asked me to marry him and I accepted his proposal."

"How sweet," Marilee rolled her eyes. "Guess things will be back to normal at Southfork very soon then."

"Normal?"

"You know, you'll be sitting in a corner with a drink, boozed up, brooding and babbling and JR will be out chasing every piece of female tail in Dallas."

"You don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't I?" Marilee challenged. "We'll see."

Sue Ellen gulped down a bitter reply and watched the other woman sashay away. She turned her attention back to her son and shrugged weakly. "That awful woman is wrong, John Ross," she whispered. "This time will be different. This time, your daddy will be good to me and we'll be a very happy family."

She picked the little boy up, hugged him close, and closed her eyes. She wanted to believe what she'd said, but in her heart, she feared it was all a lie.

"Miss Ellie?"

"Oh, Pam!" Ellie stood up and walked over to hug her daughter-in-law. "I'm so glad you're home! How's Cliff?"

"Improving," Pam hugged Ellie back. "The doctors don't think there'll be any permanent damage."

"That's wonderful news, Pam. I know you and Rebecca must be so relieved!"

"Yes," Pam muttered under her breath. "Has Bobby already gone to the office?"

"Afraid so," Ellie sighed. "Please, Pam, come sit with me for a bit."

Pam let Ellie take her hand and lead her to the couch. "Have you eaten this morning?"

"No, Miss Ellie. I'm not very hungry."

"Yesterday you said there was something you wanted to talk to me about. What is it?"

"Oh… it…Miss Ellie, Bobby told me about Donna's book."

"Stop right there, Pam," Ellie warned her. "I don't want to talk about that. Not with you or with anything else."

"But Miss Ellie, Donna and Ray are family…"

"Yes. And Jock is the head of this family. He always will be. Being a Ewing comes with many expectations - the most important one of all is loyalty."

"But how is Donna being disloyal by telling the truth?"

"It's NOT true!" Ellie said firmly. "And I won't stand by and watch my husband's reputation be destroyed when he isn't even here to defend himself!"

"But Miss Ellie…"

"It is my job as Jock's wife to hold this family together."

"Cutting Ray and Donna off doesn't seem to me to be holding us together."

"Pam, Ray and Donna have to make their own decisions and they have to accept the consequences of those decisions. And the same thing goes for you."

"Me? What do you mean?"

"I know the history between your family and ours is horrible. I know that you and JR have never gotten along. But you have to put that behind you now."

"Put it behind me?" Pam repeated. "My brother is lying in a hospital bed because of JR!"

"Your brother makes his own decisions, same as everyone else. JR didn't make him steal from your mother and he didn't make him try to kill himself."

"I'm sorry, Miss Ellie, but you don't know what you're talking about. JR set him up! And Sue Ellen is just as guilty! She manipulated his emotions and made him believe they had a future together."

"Cliff is the one who chased after Sue Ellen. And he knew how JR would react. He has only himself to blame for his predicament."

"I can't believe you're defending them!" Pam jumped off the couch. "I won't listen to another word about this!"

"I'm sorry you're hurting, Pam," Ellie's eyes narrowed, "but JR and Sue Ellen are family and I expect you to treat them as such. I insist that you keep the peace between you."

"Insist?" Pam's voice was thick with anger. "I'm sorry, Miss Ellie, but you insist on way too much!"

Ellie made no reply as she watched Pam turn and run up the stairs. She sank back against the couch and sadly shook her head.

"Oh, Jock," she whispered. "I need you so. Everything is falling apart without you."

"Satisfied?"

Bobby studied the paper closely before finally shrugging and pushing it away. "Yes."

"Good," JR smiled at him. "I'll have Barry draw up papers giving me control of your twenty percent of Ewing Oil."

"You're a piece of work, JR. I always knew you were low, but even I can't believe you'd sell your own son for control of Ewing Oil."

"Don't stand there and try to be self righteous with me, Bob. Your hands aren't any cleaner than mine. You bought that boy, passed him over to Pam like a piece of meat, pressured Sue Ellen into committing perjury. You intended to keep the fact Christopher was my son all to yourself and pressure my wife to help you do it."

"Sue Ellen isn't your wife anymore."

"She will be again soon enough."

"And how do you think she'll react when she finds out you only agreed to let me keep Christopher if I sign over my shares?"

"She already knows, Bob," JR laughed.

"You think you've thought of everything don't you?'

"Yes. I have."

"What about the will, JR?"

"What will?"

"Daddy's will. Eventually, Mama is going to have to accept that Jock is dead. When that happens, his will comes into play. That little paper you're making me sign won't mean much when Daddy's will makes these shares moot and splits the company between us. What are you gonna do then, JR?"

JR's eyes narrowed to dangerous slits. "Daddy would never take the company from me."

Bobby threw back his head and laughed. "He did it before, JR. You can have my shares. But this is temporary. Once the will is read, you'll lose control again. And I'll still have your son. After all, Sue Ellen might approve of your little scheme, but Mama certainly won't."

JR watched Bobby leave his office and carefully turned the conversation over in his mind.

He hated to admit it, but his brother had a point. If Jock's will did split the company, JR would be stuck. Worse, Bobby would be able to hold the agreement turning Christopher over to him for 20 shares of Ewing Oil over his head for the rest of his life. Once those papers were signed, JR would never be able to tell his mother the truth.

But, as always, Bobby had made a mistake. He should have kept his thoughts about the will to himself - instead, he'd tipped his hand to JR.

Sue Ellen was right after all. There was no way JR would be able to control Bobby forever - especially not once Jock's will was read.

JR reached for the phone and dialed the number from memory. "Mrs. Chambers," he barked into the receiver, "this is Mr. Ewing. I need to speak to Mrs. Ewing right away. She what? When? Thank you."

He hung up the phone and snarled. "Damnit, Sue Ellen! I told you to stay away from Southfork today!" He dialed some more numbers and waited for someone to pick up the line.

"Hello?"

"Mama? Is Sue Ellen there with you? I need to talk to her right away."

"I'm sorry, JR, she won't be here until later this afternoon. She said she was going to town to do some shopping before she came to Southfork. Is everything alright?"

"What? Oh. Yes. I just…I just need to talk to her. About the wedding. Everything's fine. Listen, can you have her call me as soon as she gets there?"

"Of course, JR."

"Thanks, Mama."

JR hung up the phone and sank back into his chair.

"Well, well, Miss Texas," he muttered under his breath. "Seems like Bobby isn't the only one I'm gonna have a hard time controlling."

Miss Texas 1967

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
JR might've misstepped with Donna, he might need to keep friendly with her.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't own any of the characters in this story and no copyright infringement is intended.

This fic takes place during season four of "Dallas" and the timeline breaks during the episode "Blackmail."

Part Thirteen

"I told you not to go see him."

"Yes, I know," Donna muttered. "I should have listened to you."

"What now?"

"Now?" Donna turned to face her husband and shrugged. "Ray, I can't keep stalling my publishers. I am going to see Miss Ellie this afternoon and try to reason with her myself."

"I don't think that's a good idea.*

"Maybe not. But I am going to publish. She deserves to hear my reasons face to face."

"She won't care about your reasons."

"I know," Donna said sadly, "but I need to do this. It's the only decent thing to do."

Ray turned away from her and decided to let it drop. Donna wasn't likely to be swayed once her mind was made up. If she was determined to talk to Miss Ellie, there was nothing he could do to stop her.

And there was nothing he could do to stop the coming storm that was liable to blow his whole world apart.

"Pam…"

"I mean it, Bobby! I can't stay here under the same roof with the man who is responsible for putting my brother in the hospital! Especially not when Miss Ellie is backing him over me!"

"Pam, I know you don't want to hear this, but there's some truth to what Mama said to you. JR is a snake and a monster, but he didn't force Cliff to do anything. Cliff made his own decisions."

"Oh, Bobby, not you too!"

Bobby took a deep breath and tried to organize his thoughts. Right now, he despised JR almost as much as Pam did, but she wasn't thinking rationally. She wanted to take Christopher and go stay with her mother for a few days. Bobby was afraid she wouldn't be able to handle the stress of living with Rebecca, dealing with Cliff, and taking care of a baby.

"Pam, I need you to wait. At least until I can make some arrangements for a place for us to stay."

"Us?"

"You're my wife, Pam. Where you go, I go. And we both know I can't go to Rebecca's."

"You…you'd come with me?"

"Of course, honey. We belong together."

"Oh, Bobby!"

She flung her arms around his neck and hugged him with all her strength. "Thank you, Bobby. I love you so."

"I love you too,Pam," he whispered into her hair. "I love you too."

"I think I'll just stay in tonight, Lucy."

"Come on, Muriel! It'll be fun!"

"Fun like last night? Lucy, we don't even remember what happened to us and I've had a headache all day!"

"We just drank too much. We'll be more careful tonight. I promise."

"Lucy…"

"Peter is awfully cute. I saw the way you were looking at him last night."

"Yeah. And I saw the way you were looking at Paulie."

"Exactly! Come on. You know you want to go."

"Alright, Lucy," Muriel gave in. "But we'll be careful about how much we drink. Promise?"

"Promise! I'll pick you up at 8:00!"

Lucy hung up the phone and smiled. She really liked Paulie and was looking forward to seeing him again. And it was so nice to get away from all the vipers at Southfork and cut loose.

"It's gonna be a great night," she said to herself. "I can't wait!"

"You need anything else?"

Paulie looked at the package of pills on his desk and shook his head. "That'll be all for now."

Peter waited until the courier left Paulie's office then spoke up. "How much is there?"

"Enough to last a week or so. We shouldn't need more than that. A few more doses of this and she'll be ready for the hard stuff."

"Do you think it's safe to dose them two nights in a row? They might get sick. Or suspicious about being knocked out cold once too often."

"Don't worry. We can blame alcohol. I know what I'm doing."

"Paulie, the family sent us down here to set up operations. Maybe we should focus on that and leave the Ewing girl alone."

"That Ewing girl is my ticket to the big-time," Paulie replied. "Fate has handed me a golden opportunity and I'm not gonna waste it."

"Her family is very powerful. Maybe we shouldn't…"

"Shut up!" Paulie roared at his cousin. "Don't forget who's in charge around here. I told you already, Lucy Ewing is a cash cow. And I am going to milk her dry."

Sue Ellen secured John Ross tightly on her hip and opened the front door to Southfork. "Miss Ellie?" She called, "we're here!"

"Hello, darlin'."

Sue Ellen stopped dead in her tracks and her entire body stiffened. "J…JR? What are you doing home this time of day?"

"Well," his voice was dangerously soft and silky, "when Mama told me you were comin' to Southfork for a visit, I thought you'd enjoy having your fiance here to greet you."

"Now look, JR…"

JR reached out, grabbed her arm, and snatched her forward without warning. "I told you not to come to Southfork today, Sue Ellen. Did you not understand me?"

Sue Ellen lifted her head and looked him straight in the eyes. "I understood you just fine, JR."

"And yet here you are."

"Yes."

JR laughed shortly, let go of her arm, and backed away. "Come to tell Mama all about baby Christopher? Let me ask you, Miss Texas, what would you have done if the paternity test proved he wasn't mine?"

"Did it?"

"No," he admitted ruefully. "I'm the daddy. There's no doubt."

"And Bobby?"

"Signed over his shares without a fight."

"So it all worked out just the way you planned."

"Not exactly. I've been thinking about what you said to me about not being able to control Bobby forever. I've decided you're right."

"What?"

"I said, you're right, Sue Ellen. The only way to make sure I get complete control of Ewing Oil and keep it is to move forward with your tawdry little scheme."

"Really, JR?"

"Really. But now's not the time to tell Mama. You and I need to have a long conversation first."

"About what?"

"About who's in charge."

"Listen, JR, I only wanted to keep you from making a huge mistake…"

"I told you once before, I want you, but I will never let you control me. You better take that to heart, honey - before I do something I don't want to."

"Like what?"

"Like take our boy and forget the wedding."

"You wouldn't dare."

"I would. You know I would Sue Ellen. Be good so I don't have to."

"Maybe I'll call off the wedding myself!"

"No you won't," he laughed at her. "You love me too much, honey. It's your biggest weakness."

"And you're all too happy to use that weakness against me!"

"No. It doesn't make me happy at all, honey. I don't ever want to hurt you ever again. Please don't make me."

Sue Ellen choked back a sob and lowered her eyes to the ground. "As you wish, JR."

"I wish," he moved towards her again, "to marry you, to make you happy. Are you gonna let me do that, honey?"

Sue Ellen flinched when he brought his hand up to touch her cheek. "Yes, JR."

"Good. Then you'll behave."

"Yes, JR."

JR shook his head slightly and brushed away the single tear that had fallen from her eye onto her cheek. "Don't cry, darlin'. You and me, we make one hell of a team. I just want you to remember who's boss. That's all."

"I won't forget again, JR."

"Good, girl," he dipped his head, kissed her deeply, then pulled away. "Come on, John Ross," he took the boy out of his mother's arms, "let's go see Grandma and show her what a happy family we are!"

Sue Ellen followed him quietly out onto the patio. She desperately wanted to believe JR was being honest with her.

But with each passing minute, she doubted his sincerity more and more.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Part Fourteen

"It does my heart good to see them both back here."

"Yes," JR agreed with his mother. "Good to have them home where they belong."

JR and Ellie were sitting together out by the patio, watching Sue Ellen and John Ross splash around in the pool.

"Have you decided on a wedding date yet?"

"Not yet," JR told his mother, but I plan to discuss it with her tonight."

"Good," Miss Ellie nodded. "The sooner you decide, the sooner we can start making wedding plans."

JR grunted his agreement, but made no other reply. "Excuse me for a few minutes, Mama," JR stood up. "I need to run inside and make a phone call.

He stood up and made his way into the house. The truth was, talking about his wedding with Miss Ellie was a bit uncomfortable. He knew her feelings towards him would change very soon. He was going to have to confess his affair with Kristin and take Christopher away from Pam's loving arms.

And he wasn't looking forward to any of it.

Rebecca took a sip of her wine and eyed Marilee carefully. "Are you sure you can deliver the cartel?"

"Trust me," Marilee assured her, "that'll be the easy part. JR doesn't have a lot of good will built up in that group. He's burned us all in one way or another."

"What about you?"

"What about me?"

"How did JR burn you exactly?"

"It's personal," Marilee growled. "He used me to set Cliff up than crawled out of my bed and right back into Sue Ellen's."

"I see," Rebecca said, her tone more than a bit disapproving.

"Is that going to be a problem for you?"

"No," Rebecca answered. "I want to destroy JR and Ewing Oil. I need your help to do that. Your motives don't matter to me at all."

"Good," Marilee smiled. She picked up her glass and held it up. "Shall we toast then?"

"Yes," Rebecca lifted her glass and clanked it against Marilee's. "A toast. To the total and utter destruction of JR Ewing and everything and everyone he holds dear."

Ellie smiled widely as she watched Sue Ellen lift John Ross out of the pool. "Oh, Sue Ellen! He is getting so big!"

"Yes, Miss Ellie," Sue Ellen laughed, "I wish I could stop time and keep him little forever."

"I understand. It's so hard when our babies grow up. Of course, now that you and JR are reconciling and are so happy, I hope you will consider having more children."

"Well…" Sue Ellen hesitated, "JR has mentioned that he would like more."

"That's wonderful!"

"Yes," Sue Ellen said softly. "Will Lucy be joining us for dinner tonight?" She quickly changed the subject.

"No," Ellie sighed. "She has plans again. I wish she would stay home. She stayed out all night last night."

"She's young, Miss Ellie. I think it's wonderful she is enjoying herself, especially considering what she went through."

"Yes, I'm sure you're right. I guess maybe I'm just worried she's doing too much too fast."

"Lucy is a smart young lady," Sue Ellen assured her. "She'll be just fine."

Ellie smiled faintly and turned her attention back to John Ross. She couldn't explain exactly why, but she had an uneasy feeling about her granddaughter's suddenly active social life - and she just couldn't shake it.

JR put down the phone and growled.

Jordan Lee has just informed him that Rebecca Wentworth was making overtures to members of the Cartel, asking them to throw in with her to take on Ewing Oil.

Normally, JR wouldn't worry about Rebecca, but given how he had treated Marilee, he was concerned she would be mad enough to come after him and convince the rest of the cartel to join her.

"JR, is Miss Ellie around?"

He looked up and saw Donna standing behind him and shrugged. "She's out by the pool with Sue Ellen."

"Thank you," Donna grunted and moved past him.

"Wait, Donna!" Bobby called from the foyer. "I don't think she's ready to talk to you."

"I'm sorry, Bobby, but this has gone on long enough."

Donna continued to move to the kitchen. Bobby started to follow her, but JR put his hand on his brother's arm to stop him. "Just a minute, Bob. We need to talk."

"If it's about the paperwork signing over my shares to you, it can wait. I haven't even looked them over yet. I need to get out there and keep Mama calm."

"Mama can take care of herself, and trust me, what I have to say is more important than whatever news Donna has about her silly book."

"Well?" Bobby snapped. "What is it?"

"I've been thinking about what you said - about how low I would be to sell my son to you for 20 percent of Ewing Oil."

"And?"

"And you're right. I can't go through with it."

"You can't…" Bobby hesitated and ran his hand through his hair. "JR…"

"He's my flesh and blood. I couldn't live with myself."

"So…what? You're saying you're willing to forget the whole thing and let me and Pam adopt Christopher without the blackmail?"

"Oh, no, Bobby. I'm sorry. You misunderstand."

"JR, what are you trying to get at?"

"I'm sorry, Bob. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I don't want to hurt you. Or Pam. But…"

"But what?"

"Christopher is my son. He belongs with me."

Bobby's eyes grew wide and he sucked in a sharp breath. "What…what did you just say?"

"You heard me. Christopher is my son. Sue Ellen and I intend to claim him and raise him."

"You can't be serious! Sue Ellen will never go along with you."

"It was Sue Ellen's idea," JR gave a mocking laugh. "She's the one who convinced me that Christopher belongs with his father. His real father."

"Everyone will know, JR. Mama will know. And what about Ewing Oil?"

"Mama will be upset, but she'll come around. And as for Ewing Oil, well, Bob, some things are more important than business."

"But Pam…JR, please. This will destroy her."

"Yes, well, that's a real shame, Bob," JR sighed. "But it's not my fault you married a basket case, is it?"

"JR! I'll kill you with my bare hands!'

Bobby lunged forward and drew back his fist, but he was stopped in his tracks by a high pitched scream coming from the patio.

"JR!" Sue Ellen's panicked voice shrieked, "JR, it's Miss Ellie!"

JR and Bobby ran together out to the pool. The sight that greeted them shook them both to their core.

Miss Ellie was lying on the ground, moaning and clutching at her heart. Donna and Sue Ellen were both hovering over her.

"Oh, Miss Ellie!" Donna sobbed, ``I'm so very sorry!"

JR growled and roughly pushed Donna out of his way. "Mama," he bent down and whispered in her ear. "Mama!"

When Ellie didn't answer, JR raised his eyes to meet Bobby's. "Call an ambulance, Bob. I think it's her heart."

CeeCee72

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Part Fifteen:

"A panic attack?" Bobby asked doubtfully.

"Yes, Mr. Ewing. It's a physical reaction brought on by extreme stress and anxiety. The symptoms closely mimic those of a heart attack."

"But, she's going to be alright?" JR asked worriedly.

"Oh, yes. We've sedated her and will want to keep her overnight for observation, but she'll be fine."

"Thank God!" Pam sighed with relief.

"I'll prescribe some medication for her to take home with her, but it's going to be very important for her to avoid stressful situations as much as possible."

"Good luck with that around this family," Lucy grumbled under her breath.

"Excuse me?" The doctor's eyebrows shot up.

"Nothing," Lucy shrugged sheepishly.

"When can we see her?" Bobby asked.

"Soon. I'll have a nurse come get you when she's settled."

They all watched as the doctor turned away and headed down the hallway.

"Alright," Lucy stood up and motioned for Muriel to do the same. "I'm going to take off."

"Already?" Pam asked. "Don't you want to see Miss Ellie?"

"You heard the doctor," Lucy shrugged again, "He said she needed to rest. I'll see her when she gets home tomorrow."

Lucy turned on her heels and headed towards the waiting room exit. Muriel followed close behind her.

"Lucy, maybe you should stay," Muriel said softly. "Your grandma might need you."

"She has the rest of them to hover over her. She doesn't need me."

"But Lucy…"

"Trust me, Muriel. No one in my family will miss me a bit. Not even Grandma. Let's just get out of here and go have some fun."

"Whatever you say," Muriel gave in. "Whatever you say."

Sue Ellen put down the phone and turned to face Donna and Ray. "That was JR. Miss Ellie is going to be just fine."

"Oh, thank God!" Donna's whole body relaxed with relief.

"What's wrong with her?" Ray pressed.

"JR said it was a panic attack. Brought on by stress.

"It's all my fault."

Sue Ellen chewed on her lower lip as she watched Ray pull Donna close to him in a comforting embrace.

She was worried. Not about Miss Ellie, exactly, but about how JR would react to the situation. His mother's health was likely to give him a very bad case of cold feet. Sue Ellen quickly calculated that she was going to need an ally other than Miss Ellie - and that Donna might do nicely.

"It's not your fault, Donna," Sue Ellen finally said. "You tried to reason with her. She completely overreacted."

"I should have never pressured her," Donna said sadly.

Sue Ellen moved forward and patted Donna on the shoulder lightly. "Donna, you can't blame yourself. Sometimes we all have to face hard truths. Miss Ellie will come around. She just needs time."

"I hope so," Donna cried softly. "Thank you Sue Ellen. That means so much."

Sue Ellen nodded, took Donn's hand, and led her to the couch.

Ray stood quietly and watched Sue Ellen soothe his wife.

Something wasn't right here. Normally, Sue Ellen would be the first one to point a finger of blame.

So…why was she being so nice to Donna?

She was up to something; Ray would stake his life on it.

"I think I need to stay."

"Of course, Bobby," Pam agreed. "She'll want to see you when she wakes up. I'll stay with you."

"No, Pam. I think you should get back to the ranch. Christopher needs one of us there."

"Why? Teresa is with him. And Sue Ellen is still there too."

"Yes, Sue Ellen is there. That's why I want you to get back."

"What?"

"I just don't want Sue Ellen looking after Christopher, okay?"

"Why? God knows Sue Ellen has her problems, but she's a wonderful mother."

"She isn't Christopher's mother. You are."

"I know that, Bobby, but she'll take care of him until…"

"Can't you ever just do as I ask, Pam?" Bobby snapped. "Why do you have to argue with me about every little thing?"

Pam's eyes widened, first in surprise, then in outrage. "What's wrong with you, Bobby?"

Bobby sucked in a deep breath and shook his head. "Nothing. Sorry. I guess the worry over Mama is getting to me."

"I understand that, Bobby, but you have no right to take that out on me."

"I know, Pam. I'm sorry."

"I'll call Southfork and tell Teresa I'll be home soon and that she should tell Sue Ellen to go on home. I want her gone before I get there. I don't want to see that woman again today."

"Alright, Pam."

"I'm going to check on Cliff before I leave, then I'll go straight back to Southfork. I promise."

"Alright, Pam," Bobby said again. He turned away from her to stare out of the window. He couldn't tell her why he didn't want Christopher to spend time with Sue Ellen, so he had no choice but to let her do as she pleased.

Pam walked over to stand behind him. She wrapped her arms around his waist and laid her head on his shoulder. "Miss Ellie is going to be just fine, Bobby. Everything is going to be alright."

Bobby closed his eyes and choked back a growl. He knew as long as JR was determined to claim Christopher as his son, nothing was going to be alright. Not ever again.

"JR? What are you doing here?"

JR turned and rolled his eyes when he saw Katherine standing behind him. "Mama had a spell. She'll be here overnight."

"What kind of spell?"

"Brought on by stress. It's been hard on her since Daddy died."

"I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she'll be alright."

"She's gonna be fine," JR informed her. "You here visiting your termite brother?"

"Yes," Kathrine snarled. "Mama asked me to stay with him until she got back. But Pam's with him now, so I have been relieved of my burden."

"Honey, that fool brother of yours is always gonna be a burden."

"Truer words have never been spoken," she agreed. "Is Bobby here at the hospital?"

"Sure. He's with Mama."

"Do you think he might like some company?"

"Why would he want…"

JR stopped in mid-sentence. There was something in Katherine's eyes that made him pause. Katherine obviously had a thing for Bobby. If JR played his cards right, he might be able to use that to his advantage.

"Tell you what," JR finally said, "I'm going back to Mama's room to check on her, but then I have to get back to Sue Ellen. Bobby might like some company once I'm gone."

"You know what, JR?" Katherine purred, a sly smile breaking across her lip, "I might just do that."

JR watched, somewhat bemused at Katherine's obvious attraction to Bobby. He shook his head and chuckled softly. Gift horses didn't often fall from the sky, and he wasn't going to look him in the mouth.

Sue Ellen stood over Christopher's crib and tried to feel something…anything other than resentment. She was going to have to be a mother to this child, and she had to find a way to open her heart to him. He was an innocent child, and not responsible for the circumstances surrounding his birth. She felt incredibly guilty for blaming the son for the sins of the father.

Still, she knew accepting this child would be an emotional battle for her - and an uphill battle at that.

Part of her was still so angry at Kristen. JR had hurt her so many times, that was numb to his affairs. But her own sister? How could Kristen have hated her so much? And why?

Even so, she was deeply sad that Kristen was gone. This little boy was all that was left of her.

Sue Ellen bent down over the crib and gently touched the sleeping baby's cheek. "There was a time when your mother and I loved each other very much," she whispered softly. "Maybe that will be enough to make me love you the way you deserve. I'll try, little Christopher. I promise I'll try. And I know your daddy is going to love you very, very much. JR won't let Bobby and Pam steal you from us. I promise."

Sue Ellen was so focused on the baby, she didn't notice the shadow in the hallway or hear the shocked intake of air from the deep gasp. Sue Ellen had no idea someone had overheard her words and that now someone knew her secret.