The Lana Turner Thread

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm probably at the limits of my Lana knowledge as well; truth is, I don't think I've seen more than maybe six or seven of her films.

She had a surprisingly durable career; she was a leading lady as late as 1966, far out lasting her contemporaries. I said in another thread that Hedy Lamarr was more interesting off screen than on; the opposite strikes me as being the case with Lana. She's the quintessential Movie Star -- more than Liz, more than Joan -- and hits all the beats. Career ups & downs? Check. Numerous marriages? Check. Scandals? Check. Tell-all book by child? Check. Yet through it all, Lana seemed kind of ... vacuous. A glamorous, empty vessel. Maybe there was more depth to her than I give credit for, but her life and image seem uninteresting to me. Even the Stompanato killing isn't really that interesting. Minus the murder, Liz was a similar stereotypical Movie Star, but also seemed to be a genuinely interesting, warm woman.
It's interesting that you compared Turner and Taylor in such a way. They were both equally "grand" and had "big" careers and both had called MGM home for a sizable chunk of their Hollywood heyday. Lana just gets lost somewhere in the shuffle; she's beautiful, sexy, and talented (when given the right material), but she just isn't interesting. I've tried to get into the more gossipy aspects of her career, and it never goes anywhere. She just seems void of any defining factor.​

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Loved her in Imitation Of Life. I actually thought it was one of her best performances.

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
It's interesting that you compared Turner and Taylor in such a way. They were both equally "grand" and had "big" careers and both had called MGM home for a sizable chunk of their Hollywood heyday. Lana just gets lost somewhere in the shuffle; she's beautiful, sexy, and talented (when given the right material), but she just isn't interesting. I've tried to get into the more gossipy aspects of her career, and it never goes anywhere. She just seems void of any defining factor.​

Comparison is odious, but Lana seemed to be a pit of a poseur -- albeit a gorgeous and competent one -- as were many of the glamour queens of her era. That's not really a criticism of Turner, because it pretty much worked.

But Elizabeth Taylor, though quite capable of a flawed performance, wasn't a poseur. Or even a poser. Taylor could go a little deeper --- hell, her marriages even outnumbered Lana's!

lanarichardelizabeth.jpg

Richard Burton between Lana Turner and Elizabeth Taylor, at a gala soirée at the Taormina Film Fest, where Turner has been awarded with a David di Donatello award for Madame X... Taormina (Messina), Italy, July 1966.

Crimson

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But Elizabeth Taylor, though quite capable of a flawed performance, wasn't a poseur. Or even a poser. Taylor could go a little deeper --- hell, her marriages even outnumbered Lana's!

If I could have had dinner with any classic film star, it would have been Liz. I don't even like her much as an actress, but she seemed like a great broad. Very possibly the best person to come out of Hollywood.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If I could have had dinner with any classic film star, it would have been Liz. I don't even like her much as an actress, but she seemed like a great broad. Very possibly the best person to come out of Hollywood.
Liz would probably be second on my dinner list, only behind Marilyn.

@Caproni I’m assuming will approve of my top choice LOL

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Liz would probably be second on my dinner list, only behind Marilyn.

@Caproni I’m assuming will approve of my top choice LOL
And you'd be right. Marilyn was lovely and I'd love to talk with her.

1623090803238.png

darkshadows38

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
honestly i really haven't seen that much of her movies to say how good or how bad she was? i'm sure i saw some of her films but off the top of my head i would have to look her films up

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Crimson

LV

Reaction score
Awards
When I did watch FALCON CREST as a follow up to DALLAS, it was well after the Lana Turner season. I've seen a few clips here and there -- perhaps not fair to judge by -- but Wyman seemed to obliterate her on screen without even putting in much effort.

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When I did watch FALCON CREST as a follow up to DALLAS, it was well after the Lana Turner season. I've seen a few clips here and there -- perhaps not fair to judge by -- but Wyman seemed to obliterate her on screen without even putting in much effort.
Wyman easily eclipses Turner in the scenes they share.

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest

Wyman easily eclipses Turner in the scenes they share.

Oh, I don't know -- Lana had that creepy factor going on, so you believed the enmity between her and Jane, on screen and off.

Turner was in FC's best era, and became the best Soap Monster Mama of them all -- even dead!

Crimson

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Was Lana ill when she was on FC? I've only seen clips, but often looked older and frailer than her actual age.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Was Lana ill when she was on FC? I've only seen clips, but often looked older and frailer than her actual age.
I thought she looked older as well.