• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A bit of background: this was my first-ever foray in DALLAS fanfiction, written all the way back in 2007 and posted here on the forum. I didn't back up my files or photos back then, so when my laptop, and the forum crashed, this story was lost to me forever--or so I thought. A kind, generous soul--and fan of good taste--saved the stories they enjoyed to Word documents, and now my story, which takes place the summer and fall after WAR OF THE EWINGS, is back for a new set of eyes to read.

@Karin Schill @Ms Southworth @Mrs Bobby James Ewing @Ray's Lady

June 1, 1998

He knew it was over.

In ten years, the spirit of Texas had never left him, and the trip home had rekindled that spirit. He knew that he belonged on Southfork, not in Switzerland. He had planned to tell Jenna, but she had already gone, leaving him a letter.

“She must’ve sensed something,” he thought to himself. They agreed to part amicably, taking away a few good memories from a complete mismatch. His brother had made sure that his ranch has reverted to him, and all that was left now was to return home.

As he sat on the plane, images of his past life played in his mind. He thought of his days as ranch foreman, his entry into the Ewing family, his marriage and divorce to the most beautiful blonde in Texas, and the daughter whom he only saw once a year. Over the past decade he had had plenty of time to reflect on his mistakes, and to toss away his regrets. He didn’t expect his new life would be the same as his old one, although he longed wake up every morning as the bright sun came up on the ranch and streamed into his windows.

He thought about what it was like among the Ewings, all those years ago. Their once large clan had dispersed to the ends of the Earth, and Southfork was no longer the vibrant ranch it had been during Jock’s time. He was glad that he had his own ranch to take care of, and didn’t have to take orders from anyone but himself. After being married with someone else’s children for the past eleven years, it seemed strange to be alone, but he welcomed it just so he could be back home, where he belonged. More than anything, he just hoped for some contentment. Most of his life seemed to have been full of self-loathing and missed opportunities.

As the Dallas skyline came into view, he found himself thinking about her…

June 1, 1998

She knew it was over.

She didn’t have any choice in the matter. Her husband, the senator, had passed away last month in his sleep. While she had made her life here with him these past 11 years, she knew that she was done with the District of Columbia and was ready to raise her daughter in a place that wasn’t so fake…so unfriendly…so urban. She set her sights on returning home, to the place she had loved and left so many years ago. The school year was drawing to a close, and Margaret—with her daddy’s eyes and her mama’s smile—would start a new school in the fall.

Even though she had grown up in Texas and called it home for most of her life, the widow Dowling hadn’t been there since leaving. This was partly by chance and partly by choice. She had no need to be there, as Margaret’s father came to visit them once a year. Many of her old friends had retired and moved away. Her husband had no ties there, other than her. But as she made the arrangements to return to the place she had left, she found herself full of questions. Would she re-enter the political scene, or withdraw from public life? There was already an offer to write her husband’s biography—her reputation as a best-selling author preceded her. She found herself thinking of days past.

She sat in her Georgetown home, reflecting on the life she lived before she was Mrs. Dowling. She had been married to her soul mate; her husband was the kind of man with whom she always dreamed of growing old. Too many pressures and different dreams led them to part badly. They realized their dream of having a child together, but she was born in Washington, after the divorce was finalized. She had left the life and the people whom she had grown to love. She never regretted her marriage to the senator, but she always felt as though a part of her had been left with that cowboy, on that ranch, back in Texas.

Ms Southworth

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Very promising start to your first Dallas fanfic! :spinning: I’ll be looking very much forward to the next updates! :dance:

Your writing style has definitely changed over the past decade. You write with so many more details nowadays! I like both writing styles, but they’re just very different! It makes perfect sense for you as a professional writer to “evolve” over time! You’re older, more mature, have different life experiences, etc. which all affects the way you express yourself! You should be really proud of yourself, @Ray&Donna! You’ve come a long way! Make sure to tend to the very special talent that you have been born with! :)
Please give us more about Ray and Donna’s long way back into each other’s arms! :best:

K

Karin Schill

I love how you more or less started with the same sentence. "He/She knew it was over". It shows how Ray and Donna were at the same place in life at the exact same moment and opens up possibilities for the future. :)

It's great how you summed up their lives and where they had been in the past 11 years in just these two texts, just a couple of paragraphs on each and we are up to date with where they are now.

I'm looking forward to read more of this story. Especially since it's set after WOTE which is like ten years after your other story. :)

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
June 2, 1998

His plane touched down in Dallas.

He walked out into the terminal, but there was no one there to greet him. Not that he had expected there to be, but it would have been nice to see someone there. He wanted to drive himself out the ranch, so he walked to the nearest rental desk. He tipped his hat at the woman behind the counter.

“May I help you, sir?”

“I’d like to rent a car.”

“Okay, sir. Did you have anything in mind?”

“You wouldn’t happen to have a white Jeep truck, would you?” She gave him an odd look. “I guess that’s a no, then. How about a Suburban?”

“Now that I can help you with. If you’ll just fill out these papers, I’ll give you the keys and you can be on your way.”

“Thank you, ma’am.” Ray filled out the papers, and smiled as he wrote “Braddock” on the address line.

After he left the rental desk, he went to grab his luggage and head home. His home. After all these years, he couldn’t figure out why he had ever left.

June 2, 1998

Her plane left out of Washington.

The townhouse had been sold, everything unnecessary either donated or put into storage. Margaret’s school records had been transferred to the Braddock school system, and the flight plans had been made.
Now, sitting on the plane, Margaret stared out the window, seemingly puzzled by the clouds.

“Mommy, how long does it take to get to Texas?” asked the little girl.

“A few hours,” Donna replied.

“What’s it like there?”

Donna laughed. “Very hot—and very windy. But absolutely beautiful, especially on the ranch.” Even though Margaret had never seen the ranch they called Southfork, her mother had often offered tidbits about her former life. When her Daddy came to visit, he told her about the horses and the oil derricks juxtaposed against the skyline. She had seen the pictures, but was excited to see it for herself; to live there, and watch the Texas sunrise come up every morning.

In spite of everything, Donna still had fond memories of Texas and everything that went with it. And even though her cowboy was gone, she still longed to be there again. She smiled at her daughter, knowing that wonderful things were in store for them.

Before she knew it, those hours had passed and her plane was touching down in Dallas.

“I’m sorry, sir. We seem to have misplaced your luggage.”

“Well, that’s okay, I guess. I wasn’t really in a hurry,” Ray replied. And indeed he wasn’t, as all that waited for him was an empty house.

In another part of the airport, Donna’s plane had arrived. She and Margaret went to pick up their luggage and, since Margaret had never been to Texas before, a few souvenirs. Walking through the airport, Margaret was full of questions.

“What is there to do here in Texas?”

“Well, there are barbeques, horses to ride, stuff like that. And if all of that bores you, you can shove someone in a pool.”

Margaret gave her mother an odd look.

“Where are we going to be living?”

“I found a townhouse in Braddock, although it’s not quite as nice as what you’re used to. But either way, I think you’ll love it. And you’ll have a much bigger front yard.”

“I miss Daddy.”

“I do, too.”

As Ray waited at the claims desk, the other 2/3 of his family was picking up their luggage. Donna held Margaret’s hand as they walked though the airport. Naturally, the younger of the two was the first to spot Ray.

“Daddy!!!” Margaret exclaimed as she left her mother’s grasp and dashed across the way, narrowly missing several people and a baggage cart.
Ray turned around and grabbed his daughter as she jumped into his arms. He hugged her tightly, then—over her shoulder—noticed Donna.

“Hi Donna.”

“Hi, Ray.”

“Am I missing something? What’re you two doing here?”

“We’re moving here. With Andrew gone, I couldn’t really see us staying in Washington. I talked it over with Margaret, and she seemed to welcome the idea of moving.”

“Oh…that’s nice.” Ray had been left speechless by this revelation. Donna broke the silence.

“What about you? Here to visit the family?”

“No…I, uh…I’m back for good. I bought my ranch back, and I’m ready to return.”

“Where’s Jenna? Is she coming on a later trip?”

“No…we, uh…we split up. I didn’t really think we had anything left to give each other, and she seemed to feel the same. I never belonged over there anyway. I belong in Texas.”

“Oh…I guess we’ll be neighbors then. We found a place in Braddock.”

“I guess so. Does that mean I’ll see you around?”

“Probably. I mean, this is good news. Margaret will be able to see you more often. I know she’ll enjoy that.”

“Me too. And maybe you and me…and Margaret, of course…maybe we, as a family, could have dinner together every now and then.”

“I’m sure she’d love that. I’ll come, too, when I can. It depends on what I’m doing. I may have a few projects lined up.”

“Okay. I’m not gonna force you, but the invitation still stands”.

“Thanks, Ray. Are you on your way home?”

“I was, but they seem to have misplaced my luggage. How’s that for you?”

“Okay. Well, since you haven’t seen your daughter for awhile, I guess we should stay with you. Then maybe we could ride into Braddock together?”

“Sounds great—it’s a shame I don’t have that old white truck. We could ride home in that!”

They both laughed at the thought.

June 2, 1998--nighttime

Ray sat alone that night, thinking.

He wondered if the day’s events had been just a coincidence. He knew that he was either fortunate or pretty damn lucky. Not only was he home, but he also had his daughter in the same county. And the love of his life.

I can’t screw this up again, he thought. I've wasted a lot of years being stubborn and foolish, wrapped up in my own problems. My stupid need to prove myself, when I should have just been happy, made a mess of things. I know that I was lucky, luckier than I ever deserved.

“I’ll be damned if I’m gonna let her get away again”, he said aloud to himself. He finished his beer and went upstairs to bed. He couldn’t get to sleep at first; he found himself thinking of her again. Seeing Donna in the airport had stirred feelings that had laid dormant all these years, feelings he had tried to forget. He fell asleep and began to dream of the first time he had met Donna, nearly twenty years before.

Donna sat alone that night, thinking.

She had just put Margaret to bed, and was now replaying the events of the day in her mind.

Was it just a coincidence? What did it all mean? Why had they both decided, after all this time, to return to Braddock?

She knew in her heart that it was an opportunity—no, more than that—a life-changing event. But after all this time, she couldn’t imagine them picking up where they left off. She had just buried a husband, after all. She then realized that she’d buried both husbands who book-ended Ray in her life. The happiest part of her life was her second marriage. Not that she hadn’t loved Andrew, because she had. He was gentle, thoughtful, caring…and had no self-esteem issues. She never had to worry that he had something to prove. He did his business on the Hill during the day and left it there in the evening. He came home and thought only of her and Margaret. With him she hadn’t felt the spark, the heat, or the passion, but she always felt safe.

She had felt that spark again today.

In spite of her feelings, she didn’t want to be pulled back into another relationship so quickly, especially one that hadn’t worked in the first place.
She finally turned down the lights and went to bed. She lay there for the longest time, thinking about the men she had loved and the things she had accomplished. But she was more proud of Margaret than anyone else—her own part of Ray.

She drifted off to sleep and dreamed about the day they had parted.

Ms Southworth

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I loved this update about Ray and Donna meeting coincidently at the airport! :spinning: Full scoreboard once again! :loveit:

I loved the similarities of the intro of both updates about the Cowboy and the Lady: :gotcha:
  • "June 2, 1998. His plane touched down in Dallas."
  • "June 2, 1998. Her plane left out of Washington."
Of course, Ray had to ask the car rental company whether they happened to have a white Jeep Truck! :cooler: I wouldn't have it any other way! ;) And I feel fairly confident that Ray has already in his head put an order of that kind of car at the car dealership! :D He wants to turn back time so to speak and re-visit the years when he was the happiest! :) And what better way of doing just that by buying back his old place and also drive a white Jeep Truck! :dance:

Great ending to the part about Ray: "After all these years, he couldn’t figure out why he had ever left." :kiss:

Donna and Margaret's conversation was really cute! :) BTW, how old is Margaret in this fanfic? :think:

Oh, this amazing sentence didn't slip by me without me re-reading it several times: "And even though her cowboy was gone, she still longed to be there again." :kiss: And neither did these statements by mother and daughter!: "I miss Daddy." "I do, too!". :hug:

LOL ... ... Donna was hilarious when talking about Texas!: “Well, there are barbeques, horses to ride, stuff like that. And if all of that bores you, you can shove someone in a pool.:lolo:

Wonderful reunion of the Krebbs family! :kiss::kiss::kiss: May I just add that I'm ecstatic that Ray finally left Europe (and also Jenna) behind and returned to the Lone Star State! :gotcha:

I have to emphasize several parts that I just cheerish so much, since they also set the stage for the time to come: :kiss:
  • "He wondered if the day’s events had been just a coincidence. He knew that he was either fortunate or pretty damn lucky. Not only was he home, but he also had his daughter in the same county. And the love of his life."
  • "Seeing Donna in the airport had stirred feelings that had laid dormant all these years, feelings he had tried to forget. He fell asleep and began to dream of the first time he had met Donna, nearly twenty years before."
  • "Was it just a coincidence? What did it all mean? Why had they both decided, after all this time, to return to Braddock?"
  • "The happiest part of her life was her second marriage. ... ... She had felt that spark again today. In spite of her feelings, she didn’t want to be pulled back into another relationship so quickly, especially one that hadn’t worked in the first place."
  • "She finally turned down the lights and went to bed. She lay there for the longest time, thinking about the men she had loved and the things she had accomplished. But she was more proud of Margaret than anyone else—her own part of Ray. She drifted off to sleep and dreamed about the day they had parted."
Please update soon! :best:

K

Karin Schill

How convenient that they just happened to arrive at the same time at the airport! ;)
Rather awkward conversation though but it was sweet how excited Margaret was to see her daddy. I guess she's 11 in this story since she was born in 1987. :)

So has Ray divorced Jenna?
He did mention they had split up but was that separated or divorced...
I am guessing divorced...

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
How convenient that they just happened to arrive at the same time at the airport! ;)
Rather awkward conversation though but it was sweet how excited Margaret was to see her daddy. I guess she's 11 in this story since she was born in 1987. :)

So has Ray divorced Jenna?
He did mention they had split up but was that separated or divorced...
I am guessing divorced...

Yes, this story features a pre-teen Margaret. And it was an amicable divorce :)

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Internet around here has been rather messed up lately, so I replied the other day without posting an update! :eck: I guess that means you get two :)

June 9, 1998

Ray spent the next few days reacquainting himself with his family, Southfork, old friends and old haunts. In some ways Braddock was the same place it had been since he first came there as a teenager. But in other ways it was very different. He got his ranch up and running again and looked forward to spending time with Margaret and showing her the land. He could only hope that she felt the same way about it that he did. Even though he wasn’t sure he and Donna could ever pick up where they left off, he knew that this was an opportunity to really get to know his daughter, his only child. And he wasn’t going to ruin this new chance.

June 10, 1998

The next morning, Donna went to wake up her daughter. She opened the door and sat on the edge of the bed. The girl rolled over opened her eyes.

“Hi, Mama.”

“Hi, honey. Are you ready to go visit your daddy and spend the day on the ranch?”

“Yes.”

“Is that all you can say? Yes?”

“Give me a break—I just woke up!”

“Okay—I’ll let you get dressed, and then you can come down for breakfast.”

“Thanks, mama.”

Donna went downstairs and began cooking. She enjoyed cooking; it kept her grounded and sane. Still, she wondered how she would occupy her time with Margaret at the ranch, and after she went back to school. She thought that later she might contact the DOA, but wasn’t sure.

“I’m here!” Margaret interrupted her mother’s thoughts when she came into the kitchen. They sat down to eat and talked about the day ahead of them.

As Donna drove down the road, Southfork came into view. She thought about all of the years she had spent there, and all of the people who had come and gone. She put it out of her mind and continued on toward Ray’s ranch.

She pulled into Ray’s driveway—she had never lived in this house, had never spent a night there. It was here where they decided to end their marriage, shattering their lives into a million pieces. Again, she put all of that out of her mind now as she pulled to a stop and shut the car off.

June 10, 1998

Ray was working in the backyard when he heard them arrive. He walked around the house to meet them. They were standing near the front steps. To his eye, Donna looked as beautiful now, under the Texas sun, as she had 20 years ago. They smiled at each other for a moment, and then Donna broke the silence.

“Good morning.”

“Good morning, Donna.” Ray removed his hat. He looked at Margaret. “Hey there, partner. Ready to learn all about being a ranch hand?”

“Of course.” She hugged him.

Donna smiled “Well, I guess I’ll see you all later”

“You’re welcome to stay,” Ray offered.

“No, I don’t want to impose on your time. I’ll be back this afternoon.”

“Bye mama.” With that, she and Ray walked off and Donna went back to her car.

As she pulled out of the driveway, she felt a single tear roll down her cheek.

June 10, 1998

“So how do you like Texas?”

“I love it…but it’s awfully hot and windy.”

Ray laughed. “Try eating breakfast outdoors.”

“What?”

“Nothing.”

“I think it’s beautiful. I’m glad that we can spend more time together.”

“Me too, partner. Me too.”

“Does that mean I can come back tomorrow?”

“I guess—what d’ya wanna do tomorrow?”

“Well, you could teach me how to ride a horse.”

“That’s right—I forgot you were just an old city slicker!”

“Don’t make fun of me.” Margaret smiled mischievously.

Ray smiled at her. “I won’t. That settles it, then—tomorrow you learn to ride a horse.”

“I can’t wait, Daddy.”

Later That Day

That afternoon, Donna arrived back at Ray’s ranch. She didn’t see father and daughter immediately, so she sat down on the porch and began to think. After a few minutes, she saw Margaret round the house. She came up and hugged her mother.

“Hi mama. Did you miss me?"

“Of course I did. Where’s your daddy?”

“He had put the horses back in their stalls, and then check on something in the barn.”

“Okay,” Donna said. After a few minutes, Ray materialized and tipped his hat to her.

“Donna.”

“Hi, Ray. I hope she was good for you today.”

“She was great, of course. She can’t wait to come back tomorrow. Say, how would you like to join us tomorrow? We’re going to go out across the ranch on horseback.”

“I don’t know. I don’t think so.”

“Come on, Mama. Go with us.”

“Okay…but it’s been a few days since I was on a horse.”

“I seem to remember you were pretty good.” He winked at her. “And a good equestrian never forgets.”

“Okay, I will. Come on, honey.”

“Bye Daddy.”

“Bye, partner.”

Ray smiled as they headed down the driveway. Like Margaret, he could hardly wait for tomorrow.

Ms Southworth

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Internet around here has been rather messed up lately, so I replied the other day without posting an update! :eck: I guess that means you get two :)
You know ... I did think that it was a bit odd that you “visited” this thread the other day without giving us an update! :giggle: Especially, since this fanfic was written years ago! :lol:

Thanks so much for giving us a double treat today! :best:

Ms Southworth

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Great update! :bowing

I’m feeling that love is in the air ... ... whether they’ll admit it or not! :kiss::kiss::kiss:To his eye, Donna looked as beautiful now, under the Texas sun, as she had 20 years ago. They smiled at each other for a moment, and then Donna broke the silence. ... ... As she pulled out of the driveway, she felt a single tear roll down her cheek.

I’m so excited about Margaret’s upcoming riding lesson! :spinning: And I’m very thrilled that Donna decided to join them! :kiss:

Beautiful ending to this update: “Ray smiled as they headed down the driveway. Like Margaret, he could hardly wait for tomorrow.” :gotcha:

K

Karin Schill

Ray and Donna teaching Margaret to ride seems to be a classic scene in most fanfics. Yet it's cute and so essential. :)
I love it how Ray tipped his hat at Donna and also how she was getting all torn from visiting the place where she had walked out on him. I guess his new ranch house really doesn't hold any good memories for Donna so far. So I can see why she is reluctant to spend time there.

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
June 11, 1998

Donna and Margaret arrived at Ray’s ranch the next morning, and headed straight to the stables. Ray was already there, preparing the horses.

“Good morning, Ray.”

“Good morning.”

“Hi, daddy.”

“Hey partner. Okay, I have a smaller horse ready for you. His name is Tumbleweed, so hopefully he won’t move too fast. Are you ready to ride?”

“Yes.” Ray helped her on the horse, showing her how to put her feet in the stirrups and how to hold onto the reins.

“Now it’s your mom’s turn. Donna, I picked out Lady Fair for you. Banjo’s granddaughter if you remember that old horse of Bobby’s.”

“I do.”

“Do you need any help?”

“I think I do. Thanks for the offer, cowboy.” She smiled. Ray helped her on the horse, careful to avoid any awkward looks or misplaced hands. He felt funny about touching Donna after all this time, but he didn’t mind it, either. He then mounted his horse and they took off.

They rode as a family across the ranch. They talked and laughed as they came upon familiar landmarks: the river that had been dammed up in the range war, the lake, Bobby’s tree house. Donna thought about all of the wonderful years she had spent here. Ray could only think about how beautiful Donna looked under the warm Texas sun.

Margaret had walked her horse over to the water to get a drink, as her parents waited near a tree. Ray decided to break the silence.

“So, how are you gonna fill your days? I mean, when you’re not out here?”

Donna smiled. “Believe it or not, my old publisher called this morning. They want me to write a book about Andrew.”

“Oh…um, do you think that will require a lot of time away?”

“A little bit, but most of the important stuff is archived, and I can just look it up online. I may have to take a trip or two to Washington, but most of the travel will involve promotion. They think it’ll do well, anyway.”

“I know it will be a bestseller. The others were, way back when.”

“I was thinking that Margaret could stay with you while I’m away. I know she’d like to spend some time with you.”

“That would be great. I’ll let her pick out some stuff for her room. Did you already talk it over?”

“Yes…but I can ask her again. Margaret?”

The young girl rode back over to her parents.

“What, mama?”

“Remember when I talked to you about writing a book? Well, your daddy said you could stay with him while I’m out of town.”

“Yay! I can’t wait. But can we go back to riding now? I’m bored with all this talking.”

Ray and Donna laughed. Of course, they said in unison.

K

Karin Schill

What a cute family scene. I love it. :)

I guess it makes sense for Donna to write another book. But I can't say that I find the topic she's writing about that interesting! :lol:

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I guess it makes sense for Donna to write another book. But I can't say that I find the topic she's writing about that interesting! :lol:

As a seasoned author, her goal is to make it interesting :D

June 25, 1998—Two weeks later

After a few pleasant weeks of being a family, the time had come for Donna to fly back to Washington. She had dropped Margaret off at Ray’s house and was now sitting on the plane as it floated through the fluffy clouds. She thought about how nice things had been the past few weeks. Being in Texas and with Ray just felt…natural. Margaret had always been a happy child, but now she seemed more vibrant, more alive than ever. She felt more alive herself, but was scared to admit it. She had mixed emotions over the whole thing, and was hoping a little time alone would provide her with some clarity. She knew that she still loved Ray, but a part of her couldn’t forget how silly and stubborn he had been during their marriage, and how it had torn them apart. She didn’t want to be resented all over again for being ambitious. During her life as the senator’s wife, she was mainly a hostess and mother. She was able to be involved in politics, but not in the influential manner as before. It was enjoyable if slightly foreign to her. She tried to put those days out of her mind, as that part of her life was over. She thought about Ray, and then tried to push him out of her mind. She tried to engross herself in the in-flight movie. Unfortunately, it was an old western where a cowboy fell in love with a society woman. She decided to take a nap instead.

K

Karin Schill

I love it how Donna was trying to find an escape in the movie on the flight and it turned out that the topic was too close to home to offer her the escape from reality that she needed! :)

Ms Southworth

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Amazing update from the stables! :spinning:

I love the names of the horses that Ray picked out for his ex-wife and his daughter, Tumbleweed and Lady Fair! :kiss:

Very cute with the reference to Bobby’s old horse, Banjo ... ... and also his tree house by the lake! :)

I really liked the way you wrote about Ray helping Donna on her horse: “Ray helped her on the horse, careful to avoid any awkward looks or misplaced hands. He felt funny about touching Donna after all this time, but he didn’t mind it, either.:gotcha:

Maybe there could be “fringe benefits” connected to Donna writing a book about Andrew? ;) More time spent in and around Dallas could mean more time spent with Ray ... ... and so forth! :kiss:

I love the idea of Margaret staying with Ray while Donna is in Washington! :jolly:

LOL ... ... of course, Margaret would rather go riding than talk! :giggle:

Ms Southworth

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Great scene about Donna’s plane ride! :dance:

However, I don’t like the phrasing, “... ... back to Washington”! :( Washington is not Donna’s true home, IMO! :( Especially because of the old saying: “Home is where the heart is!” :cooler:

I love the description of the emotional “tornado” inside Donna at this point in time: “She felt more alive herself, but was scared to admit it. She had mixed emotions over the whole thing, and was hoping a little time alone would provide her with some clarity. She knew that she still loved Ray, but a part of her couldn’t forget how silly and stubborn he had been during their marriage, and how it had torn them apart.:loveit:

You may try to fight your feelings right now, Donna! But it won’t be long, before you’ll give in! :kiss::kiss::kiss: You’re getting all kinds of hints ... ... even from the plot of movie on the plane! :) And I’m sure that a certain cowboy will continue to chase you as you drift off to dreamland! :giggle:

Ray&Donna

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
June 26, 1998

Ray woke Margaret up bright and early the next morning.

“Wake up, sleepy head. We ranchers get up with the sun!”

“Is this what I have to look forward to?” She looked over at the clock on her nightstand. “Besides, it’s 8:00…the sun has been up for two hours.”

“Okay, so I exaggerated a bit. But are you gonna get up or not?”

“Well, I’m up now.”

“I’ll be downstairs, then. I made breakfast.” Ray left the room.

“Wait a minute, Daddy…you can cook?”

After breakfast, Ray and Margaret walked down to the barn to inspect the horses, and to see if one of the mares was ready to deliver her foal.

“Are you ready to go back to school soon?”

“Do I have to? I mean, I could stay here and help you run the ranch.”

Ray laughed. “I don’t think your mother would look too kindly on that.”

“She could help, too.”

“I’m sure she would, but I think she wants you to go to school.”

“Daddy?”

“Yes?”

“Do you still love Mama?”

Ray looked at her, dumbfounded. “Now where did that come from?”

“I was just curious. You seem to stare at her a lot when she’s around.”

“Is this just between us?”

“Yes, Daddy.”

“I’ll always love your mother, even if we’re not together.”

“I knew it!” Margaret smiled.

“Come on—we’re supposed to be ranching, not talking about silly stuff like that.” As they walked along the river later, Ray wondered about their conversation. But most of all, he wondered if Donna felt the same way.

Ms Southworth

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Amazing update about father and daughter! :jolly:

When I first started to read the update, I have to admit that I got your two fanfics mixed up! I was like ... ... What's going on??? Margaret can suddenly talk??? And questioning whether Ray can cook??? :eck: Hmmm ... ... how much time has passed since Ray and Donna were making out in bed??? :giggle: Then I realized my mistake!!! :lolo: And of course, I had to roll my eyes at myself! :rolleyes: ... :giggle: Sorry, but I just had to share this with you! :embarrassed: And please don't take this the wrong way! :mo: I absolutely love that I have two of your amazing fanfics to lighten up my days! :kiss::kiss::kiss: And now I'll get started on my review! :)

I loved the dialogue between Ray and Margaret! :kiss: I'm guessing that Ray has been awake since 5:00 a.m., very anxious to get on with his itinerary of the day which, of course, includes some serious father/daughter bonding! :wink@
Oh, Margaret!!! You are just so precious: “Wait a minute, Daddy…you can cook?:rlol: :ll:

I love the way children sometimes just come right out and say what they're thinking: “Do you still love Mama? ... ... You seem to stare at her a lot when she’s around.:kiss:

It's no wonder that Ray was at a loss for words! :wink@ I love his reply: “Is this just between us? ... ... I’ll always love your mother, even if we’re not together.:kiss::kiss::kiss:

Perfect ending to an amazing update: "As they walked along the river later, Ray wondered about their conversation. But most of all, he wondered if Donna felt the same way."

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Last edited:
K

Karin Schill

Aww what a cute scene. I love it how Margaret asked with a child's bluntness: “Do you still love Mama?”

Of course the answer to that question had to be yes! :kiss:

Nice father-daughter bonding too.