• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

The "Latin Lover" Thread

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The "Latin lover" is a stock character, primarily a part of the traditional studio system of Old Hollywood. The term and trend first became popular in the 1920s with movie star Rudolph Valentino, but it has mostly lost its zeal since World War II.

When I think of the Latin lover, I generally of someone like Valentino. He's been dead close to a century, and it is kind of difficult for us in 2021 to understand the magnitude of his fame. He was handsome and popular, and he became the prototype for male sexiness of his time. Women were crazy about him, but men felt he was a threat to their masculinity and fueled male effeminacy. When Valentino died in 1926, thousands attended his funeral, and the streets were flooded with flowers and pictures.

There are other men and women that can fit the Latin lover image as well.

Do you have anyone that comes to mind?

1617890812381.png

Last edited:

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm rather fond of Cesar Romero. I found him suave and genial, although that image is mostly from his later, TV career. I don't think I've seen any films from his younger days, other than THE DEVIL IS A WOMAN with Dietrich (who apparently loathed him).

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards

What Don Ameche and Carmen Miranda from those frothy wartime Fox musicals in the forties? They fit the bill, don't they?

1619703440449.png
1619703455449.png

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've never viewed Tyrone Power as the Latin Lover type, either, but he does fit the troupe
But what exactly is a Latin Lover type? Is it simply a Latin (looking) actor in the romantic lead role?
I could be wrong but I think it has a slightly disapproving ring to it. Too smooth, too suave - the playboy type, or the exotic male prostitute type.
A cheesy "hausfrau" fantasy.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But what exactly is a Latin Lover type? Is it simply a Latin (looking) actor in the romantic lead role?
I could be wrong but I think it has a slightly disapproving ring to it. Too smooth, too suave - the playboy type, or the exotic male prostitute type.
A cheesy "hausfrau" fantasy.

I suppose it is a term, or a trend, or an archetype, that progresses as movies evolve. The Latin Lover has probably taken different forms depending on what is currently popular.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think Carmen Miranda defies categorization. There's simply never been anyone else like her. She has no predecessors, no contemporaries and no successors (except, maybe, Charo ).
Carmen Miranda, the Brazilian Bombshell, was truly one of a kind. She starred in those frothy wartime musicals and filled a vacancy that people had not realized was missing. Her cheeky and campy performances have stood the test of time as over-the-top Old Hollywood glitz and glamour, especially when it comes to musicals. Her appearance in DOWN ARGENTINE WAY, the 1940 movie musical that made Betty Grable a star, is typical of her movie appearances; appearing clothed in flashy clothes and headwear, and having little (to no) impact on the story. Over time, of course, she was more substantial part of her films, but this is where she started.

Miranda is an interesting woman. The entirety of her fame lies right there in that World War II era when America was ushering the Good Neighbor Policy, and Miranda fit the bill being an exotic foreigner from some vague Latin American city.

1619716394827.png

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ramon Novarro was Valentino's successor as Hollywood's "Latin Lover", he successfully transitioned from silent films to talkies and acted opposite Joan Crawford, Greta Garbo and Myrna Loy. He often appeared shirtless in his films though he didn't have the type of physique current movie hunks posses. He apparently didn't go to great pains to conceal his homosexuality, though it did cause him some conflict due to his Catholic faith. Despite his success at the box office, MGM chose not to renew his contract in the mid 30s. Novarro is probably better known today because of the circumstances of his death: he was brutally murdered in his home by two hustlers who were looking for money they believed Novarro had stashed in his house.

He may not have had a Hemsworth or Cavill physique but that face:
Ramon Novarro 2.jpg