• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

The Masked Singer

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Has anyone watched this?

It has many, many reasons why I wouldn't watch it, mainly to do with how stupid the judging panel is and all this crap about chanting "take it off".

But that aside (and the dodgy singing voices) I'm strangely hooked on this. I'm finding it fascinating trying to figure out if I recognise the voice. The clues can be difficult, but when they reveal the person behind the mask, it's shocking how much the clues give away.

The costumes are brilliant.

lk.png

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The show it pure rubbish but strangely compelling and quite entertaining too.

I'm finding the comedian Ken on the panel very annoying with his constant slamming on the desk exclaiming he knows who it is. If he just took it down a couple of notches he would ok.

So far, I think the unicorn is John Barryman, the fox is Denise Van Outen and the octopus is Ashley Roberts. (I think I'm getting into this show a bit too much already).

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I'm finding the comedian Ken on the panel very annoying
All of them are annoying, but yes, Ken is the worst. I actually wonder if they are doing it for the comedy value, the way they gasp as they wait to see who wins each round is one example. It's almost as the judges on the Peter Kay 'talent show' spoof he made about ten years ago. Only these four are not funny.

I think the unicorn is John Barryman, the fox is Denise Van Outen and the octopus is Ashley Roberts.
They showed a clip of the unicorn on DANCING ON ICE and up to that point I wasn't sure about John Barrowman, now I am. I hadn't thought about Denise or Ashley like you have done, you clearly have better hearing than I do.

Unless you're wrong :lol: Either way, it's more than I can muster.

I did wonder if the fox might have been Toyah, but I think that was more hope than wonder.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
All of them are annoying, but yes, Ken is the worst. I actually wonder if they are doing it for the comedy value, the way they gasp as they wait to see who wins each round is one example. It's almost as the judges on the Peter Kay 'talent show' spoof he made about ten years ago. Only these four are not funny.
It's a weird format because no one is really interested in the contest part it's more about guessing who's behind the mask and of the 6 performers in each show you only discover who one on them is.

The panel are just annoying. Davina really is a one trick pony and has only ever been good on Big Brother and she brings nothing to this show: she's not funny, inciteful or particularly charismatic. Jonathan Ross, who I usually like, only ever works on shows when he is given a free rein to do what he likes but when he is restricted to a format, like on this show, he doesn't come across that well and tries to make up for it with desperate and unfunny jokes. There is nothing more I can say about Ken except he's just a plain awful irritant.

Considering I've just trashed the format and the panel, it's hard to understand why I find the show so compelling and I'll be watching again this weekend.

They showed a clip of the unicorn on DANCING ON ICE and up to that point I wasn't sure about John Barrowman, now I am. I hadn't thought about Denise or Ashley like you have done, you clearly have better hearing than I do.
I thought the rainbow mane indicated a gay person. He also had an American accent and the mannerisms (i.e. the showing off) was typical John Barrowman.

The fox had a good singing voice and had stage presence which would fit Denise Van Outen as she has performed in a few West End Musicals. The fox also said she was a party animal which also fits. She said something about splitting her time between the town and the country and I'm sure Denise used to live in a farm house before she moved into a house in London with her current boyfriend, so that kind of fits as well.

The Octopus said something about being on a catwalk which could be a pussycat walk. She also said something about weight training which could be a reference to preparing for her part in "Waitress" the West End musical she is currently performing in. So some of the clues pointed to Ashley Roberts.

I'm probably completely wrong but it's kind of fun trying to work out who these people are.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
It's a weird format because no one is really interested in the contest part it's more about guessing who's behind the mask

Yes, absolutely. Normally I would find myself rooting for a couple of contestants, whereas with this I couldn't give two hoots. It's like I just want to know who is behind the mask and I will see the show through for that very reason. There is the alternative of just recording the show and going right to the end to see who is revealed, but then that would lose the spark of the whole point. As much as the panel annoy the hell out of me, I did enjoy the rest of the show.

That said, I don't think I would bother with a second series of this.

I'm probably completely wrong but it's kind of fun trying to work out who these people are.
It is fun and I think you might be right anyway, especially with Ashley Roberts.

I also forgot to mention that I said Cee Lo Green (as the Monster) before someone on the panel mentioned his name. His voice caught me straight away.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I also forgot to mention that I said Cee Lo Green (as the Monster) before someone on the panel mentioned his name. His voice caught me straight away.
I couldn't place the voice but when someone on the panel suggested his name I thought they could be right. Then I thought would his hero really be Tony Hadley or does he have a connection to Gold or True that I'm not aware of. Also, there were loads of horns coming from his head and someone suggested they could represent Grammys but I didn't think Cee Lo Green won that many. (I just looked it up when I typed this and he's won 5, which is more than I thought. My Google search also threw up a photo of him covered completely in gold at a recent Grammy ceremony so maybe that's the Tony Hadley connection). Maybe I'm overthinking all this and maybe I'm getting too involved with this show.

That Bowie Girl

Soap Chat Rebel
LV

Reaction score
Has anyone watched this?

What season are you on? It just ended here in the US.

That said, I don't think I would bother with a second series of this.

I followed it online each week to see who won and who was eliminated.

I was really interested in watching it but took my Sister's advice who said it was awful. But I really did enjoy seeing who was who in the costumes.

I can't believe who won over who in the Second Season. :ms:

That Bowie Girl

Soap Chat Rebel
LV

Reaction score
It's a new show over here, so we're only on the first season and we've only had two episodes which saw all 12 contestants take part for the first time. Two have been revealed, a UK soap star and a UK politician.
So it's not the same so called celebrities on your show in Britain as we had here? I guess that makes sense since we had football players etc that you might not even know who they are.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I thought this show was bad last week, but this week I actually think it was worse if that is possible.

I can't remember who now, but one of them spoke about Pizza of the action and I thought maybe a Bucks Fizz girl.

Both Michael Ball and Michael Crawford came to me with the hedgehog, I think I will go with Michael Ball.

Queen Bee is a really good singer and I thought maybe Kym Marsh who recently quit Corrie. I don't think anyone has mentioned her.

I also think possible Mel C for another but again I can't remember which one.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I thought this show was bad last week, but this week I actually think it was worse if that is possible.
The show is rubbish but compelling rubbish.
Both Michael Ball and Michael Crawford came to me with the hedgehog, I think I will go with Michael Ball.
The hedgehog is definitely Michael Ball. I thought the clues made it really obvious. There was can of hairspray and the Phantom of the Opera mask in the video tape introduction (he starred in both productions in the West End) and a reference to having a ball (or something similar).

Queen Bee is a really good singer and I thought maybe Kym Marsh who recently quit Corrie. I don't think anyone has mentioned her.
She has completely stumped me. I was originally thinking someone out of a girl band like Girls Aloud but the clues she gave included not being known for singing onstage and being under 30. As only one could be a lie so that would rule out all of Girls Aloud. Then there was the clue that she is a lawmaker. I can't even offer a guess for who she is.

I'm even more convinced that the unicorn is John Barrowman.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Octopus is definitely Ashley Roberts. There were loads of clues about feet and dancing and I sure she said "Pasha" instead another word (maybe passion). Ashley Roberts danced with Pasha on Strictly Come Dancing. She was also on I'm a Celebrity and there was a clue to that show too. Case closed.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
After being certain the unicorn was John Barrowman, they threw a curve ball last Saturdayby giving a clue about Glee. Now I'm beginning to wonder whether they deliberately tried to mislead viewers into thinking it was John Barrowman to divert attention from the possibility that it could be Kevin McHale from Glee.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
When I first heard about this show, I thought the kind of celebrities they would have as masked singers would be of the level of ex Love Island contestants or Chico from The X-Factor, never did I expect they would secure singers of the calibre of Kelis, Jakes Shears, and very possibly Ceelo Green, to be on the show. I still think it's trash TV but it's a fun show and strangely compelling, and I hate myself for saying this, but I look forward to watching it each week.

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Here's my two penneth worth seeing as it's the final instalment tonight.

Last week, I correctly guessed that Denise Van Outen and Ceelo Green were the celebrities hiding behind the masks.

Of those that are still left in the competition I think that Octopus is either Sherry Murphy, Lucy Pargeter or Hayley Tamaddon as it was stated that there is an "Emmerdale connection" and also because all three are accomplished singers in their own right.

Also, there was a clue about "Australia". It should be noted that Sherry Murphy is indeed married to an Australian football player and lived in Australia for a period during which time she even guested on the soap opera, "Neighbours" so, it could be Sherry.

Alternatively, Lucy Pargeter took part in a series of "I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here" a few years ago which again would also tie in with the "Australia clue" so, I'm thinking it could possibly be Lucy.

I think that Queen Bee is Nicola Roberts out of Pop band, Girls Aloud. It was mentioned that she was involved in one of the earliest reality tv shows which would fit in with her appearances in 2002 on "Popstars the Rivals" which propelled her to pop stardom.

Finally, I'm guessing that Hedgehog is Jason Manford as it was mentioned that the celebrity is a comedian who plays 12,000 seater arenas.

Also, Jason is an accomplished vocalist having appeared in many West End productions.

Finally, Hedgehog physically resembles the comedian (ie tall) - and too tall I'm guessing to be Michael Ball!

So, Jason Manford it is.

Last edited:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
So almost all my guesses were wrong. For a show that I thought was trash, I found it weirdly addictive and watched every week. The quality of the singers have been amazing: Ceelo Green, Skin, Jake Shears, Katherine Jenkins and Kelis are all A list singers which I didn't think would do a show like this. The show is like how Sue Ellen described Mandy Winger: trash with class.

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, I was way off with my Octopus guesses although the "Emmerdale clue" was a little tenuous to say the least,

Apparently, Katherine Jenkins has had a small cameo appearance in it at some point in its history.

I like @Angela Channing am pleasantly surprised that the programme makers were able to get people of the calibre of Katherine to take part in the competition so, I would never have guessed it was her.

By all accounts, it's the most watched tv programme on a Saturday night with an army of 5.5 million viewers.

Such is its success that it's been reported that they will be recording a second series later on in the year.