The Masked Singer

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wasn't planning to watch this season but I was flicking channels after the Arsenal and now I'm hooked again. These are my guesses for who's behind the masks this week:

Sausage - Sheridan Smith
Robin - Aston Merrygold
Badger - Ne-Yo
Dragon - Sandi Toksvig

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I loathe these shows with a passion but Sausage completely drew me in!
I have a love-hate relationship with The Masked Singer. I know it's not not high-brow TV and so many aspects of the show annoy me. I I didn't watch the first few weeks because I thought the last season was completely mad but I started watching on Saturday and got completely absorbed in the show. It's bonkers but strangely entertaining.

Marika

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
In Germany, we've had 3 seasons of the "Masked Singer" so far and the 4th one will start in February, I think.
I basically only watch because of the costumes :D

Season 1: All contestants sing "Bohemian Rhapsody" together

Season 2 Recap:

Season 3 Recap:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
In Germany, we've had 3 seasons of the "Masked Singer" so far and the 4th one will start in February, I think.
I basically only watch because of the costumes :D

Season 1: All contestants sing "Bohemian Rhapsody" together

Season 2 Recap:

Season 3 Recap:
Do they use have profile celebrities in Germany or minor ones like ex-reality TV stars or obscure ex-soap opera actors? What amazes me about the UK version is the quality of singers they use. In our first series they had Kelis, CeeLo Green, Jake Shears and Katherine Jenkins, amongst others.

Marika

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Do they use have profile celebrities in Germany or minor ones like ex-reality TV stars or obscure ex-soap opera actors? What amazes me about the UK version is the quality of singers they use. In our first series they had Kelis, CeeLo Green, Jake Shears and Katherine Jenkins, amongst others.
Compared to other shows like "I'm a Celebrity – Get Me Out of Here" or "Celebrity Big Brother", the quality of the contestants on "The Masked Singer" is quite high. On the former shows, the contestants usually consist of people who already took part in other reality shows, so it's basically always the same trashy faces.

The first season was won by singer Max Mutzke (who represented Germany in the Eurovision Song Contest 2004). Among the contestants were also veteran actor Heinz Hoenig; Bulgarian singer Lucy Diakovska (who was part of Germany's most successful girl band "No Angels" in the 2000s; they represented Germany in the Eurovision Song Contest 2008); international Swedish model Marcus Schenkenberg; former soap actress Susan Sideropoulos; and schlager singer and former child star Stefanie Hertel.

The second season was won by actor Tom Beck. Among the contestants were also Swiss singer Stefanie Heinzmann; comedy legend Dieter Hallervorden (85 years old); tv host Sonja Zietlow ("I'm a Celebrity – Get Me Out of Here" – which airs on a rival network); actress Rebecca Immanuel; and teen idol Mike Singer (who's recently had three #1 albums in the span of three years).

The third season was won by singer Sarah Lombardi (who became famous through "German Idol" but also thanks to her much publicized divorce). Among the contestants were also veteran actress Veronica Ferres; tv host Jochen Schropp ("Big Brother"); Dutch tv personality Sylvie Meis; comedian Wigald Boning; Greek singer Vicky Leandros (represented Luxembourg in the Eurovision Song Contests 1970 and 1972); tv personality Daniela Katzenberger and her husband Lucas Cordalis; childrens' tv host Ben Blümel; celebrity chef Nelson Müller; and musician Alec Völkel (panelist on "The Voice of Germany").

Unlike the US or the UK, Germany doesn't really have that many high-profile actors or singers – or at least not many that are known outside of Germany. There are of course exceptions, but these people wouldn't take part in such competitions.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Anyone watching The Masked Singer UK? Here are my thoughts on who's behind the masks.

Blob - Lenny Henry
Sausage - Sheridan Smith
Viking - Morten Harket
Badger - Ne-Yo
Bush Baby - John Thomson
Dragon - Courtney Act
Harlequin - Gabrielle
Robin - Aston Merrygold

Alexis Colby Carrington

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Anyone watching The Masked Singer UK? Here are my thoughts on who's behind the masks.

Blob - Lenny Henry
Sausage - Sheridan Smith
Viking - Morten Harket
Badger - Ne-Yo
Bush Baby - John Thomson
Dragon - Courtney Act
Harlequin - Gabrielle
Robin - Aston Merrygold
I agree with all except dragon I think that’s Sue Perkins

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm beginning to wonder whether @Alexis Colby Carrington is correct about Dragon. In yesterday's show the singing did sound quite a bit like Sue Perkins. There were also 2 clues in previous episodes that I couldn't associate with Courtney Act which do apply to Sue Perkins. In the week when the song was the clue Dragon sang All By Myself which could refer to the fact that she was performing without Mel Giedroyc and she also said she knows her IQ backwards which could refer to the fact that Sue Perkins has appeared on the TV show QI many times. Yesterday Dragon also said she had eaten weird stuff like she had appeared on I'm A Celebrity, which Sue Perkins has. Food references could also refer to her breakthrough show Light Lunch. However, Dragon also said her name was a clue and I don't know any connection Sue Perkins has with dragons but that does fit with Courtney Act.

I know, I'm taking this show way too seriously now.

My revised guesses:

Blob - Lenny Henry - CORRECT
Sausage - Sheridan Smith - 100% certain
Viking - Morten Harket - CORRECT
Badger - Ne-Yo - 100% certain
Bush Baby - John Thomson - CORRECT
Dragon - Sue Perkins (on balance but not ruling out it could be Courtney Act)
Harlequin - Gabrielle - 100% certain
Robin - Aston Merrygold - 100% certain

Ukdallasfan

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You’re doing extremely well so far! My family and I never thought we would find anything good in this show but it’s become a Saturday night guilty pleasure. We think Sausage is Stacey Solomon- something about aspects of her voice :)

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
You’re doing extremely well so far! My family and I never thought we would find anything good in this show but it’s become a Saturday night guilty pleasure. We think Sausage is Stacey Solomon- something about aspects of her voice :)
If it wasn't for lockdown I doubt I would be watching it. I never planned to watch this season and avoided the first few episodes but being stuck at home with nothing much to do I started watching and like eating Pringles, once you start with it you have to finish the whole lot. Now I really look forward to watching it every week even though it's a completely bonkers show.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Still enjoying this show. @Angela Channing you are guessing very well! We still think Sausage is Stacey Solomon :)
Although I switched to thinking Dragon was Sue Perkins for the reasons given in a previous post, I still don't understand her connection with dragon and "drag on" especially as she said her main clue was in her name.

The reason why I think Sausage is Sheridan Smith over Stacey Solomon are these clues:
  1. Strong connection to the beach and coast - she was in Gavin and Stacey which was filmed in Barry Island
  2. Hair colour certified is by law - she starred in the play Legally Blonde
  3. Said she was happy with a couple of beers and a bag of potato snacks - reference to Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps in which she starred
There were some clues that indicated it could be Stacey Solomon - looks like a horse, "pickle" (name of her company) and was told she "sounds like a pop star and looks like a pop star" (Louis Walsh on X Factor) but I think the stage presence and attitude of Sausage is more like Sheridan Smith.

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm absolutely loving this show - it's my new guilty pleasure.

Of the celebrities unmasked so far, the ones I have correctly guessed have been Sophie Ellis- Bextor, Morten Harket and Lenny Henry.

Of those still left in the competition, I think Badger is Ronan Keating, that Robin is Gareth Gates and that Sausage is Sheridan Smith (although for the life of me I cannot fathom what her connection with Blackpool would be).

This programme is doing fantastic business on a Saturday night for itv - it is the highest rating show on tv with more than 8,000,000 viewers.

Such has been its success that I've read that itv have already acquired the rights to show the Masked Dancer to air later on in the year which is intrinsically the same show albeit that the masked celebrities will be shown throwing some dance shapes rather than singing.

Last edited:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sausage is Sheridan Smith (although for the life of me I cannot fathom what her connection with Blackpool would be).
It's a bit tenuous but Sheridan's most memorable appearance at the Royal Variety Performance was last year when she performed as Cilla Black. That show took place in Blackpool. However, I think the biggest Sausage clue is the 'walk with attitude' that the character does when she leaves the stage. That so like Sheridan Smith.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I still don't get how Sausage was Joss Stone when so many of the clues were pointing to Sheridan Smith.

This season was so much better without Ken Jeong.