The Mystery of Marilyn Monroe (2022)

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Funny, I've never seen this before: Larry King's program does a 35th death anniversary special (in 1997) about Marilyn with a motley pack of Hollywood geezers, including Milton Berle, George Barris, Robert Wagner, Hope Lange and Mickey Rooney. (I guess it takes Rooney to make Berle seem almost classy).

What a buncha geriatric bozos.... except for Hope Lange, of course.

RJ Wagner asserts that "I was in Europe when (Marilyn) died," and since he's the sole survivor of this show, I'm assuming he killed her and probably everybody else.

Oh, I've seen that. Milton Berle talks about how 20th Century-Fox wouldn't Marilyn do TV (which I've heard Fox said TV was the "wrong medium" for her), and Mickey Rooney tries to take credit for renaming her Marilyn Monroe and for introducing her to William Morris agent Johnny Hyde.​

Last edited:

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
motley pack of Hollywood geezers, including Milton Berle, George Barris, Robert Wagner, Hope Lange and Mickey Rooney.

At least they all knew her, in at least a passing sort of way -- and have photographic evidence -- to support their self-aggrandizing BS.

I used to be really into old Hollywood lore via autobiographies, memoirs and interviews but I just can't take any of it seriously anymore. People who made their living peddling fantasy are, not surprisingly, bad sources of the truth.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
At least they all knew her, in at least a passing sort of way -- and have photographic evidence -- to support their self-aggrandizing BS.
You do have a point there. Robert Wagner, Hope Lange, and Mickey Rooney all appeared in movies with her -- and they even shared scenes with her, so that at least know as a co-star. George Barris took some of the final professional photos of her, and she and Milton Berle knew each other and their relationship was documented with pictures.

That still doesn't mean I believe all of what they say.​

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards

I used to be really into old Hollywood lore via autobiographies, memoirs and interviews but I just can't take any of it seriously anymore. People who made their living peddling fantasy are, not surprisingly, bad sources of the truth.

Oh. have you ever seen any of the interviews with mafioso actor Gianni Russo? Hysterical!

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I started watching this documentary one day last week, but I might've gotten through the first 30 minutes before I switched it off. Like earlier comments have stated, there isn't anything terribly new learned through the audio tapes. Of course, more might be unleashed if I were to actually finish the documentary. I'm sure I'll get around to finishing soon.... There's a few times I've went to click on it, but I just never click on it. I end up watching something else while browsing Netflix. Critiquing what I saw, I found the documentary to be well-produced and interestingly bland. Hearing audio tapes (with lame reenactments playing in the background) just wasn't sailing too swiftly with me. Like I said, though, I'm sure I'll get around to finishing this documentary... but I couldn't tell you when.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched a little more of this documentary over the weekend (maybe another 10 minutes or so). It would probably be a semi-engaging watch if I took the time to actually sit down and watch the whole thing in one sitting. The problem is, I just don't take the time to do it. I watch other things on Netflix and I watch other things on my laptop, but I just don't find myself making it towards this documentary.

Maybe I just don't care enough to dedicate my time to it?