• Mission to find Telly Talk's Favourite TV Characters.

Vote for your favourite TV characters from the 20th-century

Click here for more details

GillesDenver

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Again they wrote the character of Amanda totally differently once they had a new actress playing her. The same as they did with Fallon. Amanda went from being a spoiled, pouty and sulky young woman to being an oddly perky and optimistic business woman. Overnight!.
Actually, that was the plan for Oxenberg. Even during the retooling of season 6 the staff was discussing of making Amanda "more like Fallon" (from seasons 3-4 obviously) and bringing back Michael. Just like they were already discussing the possibility of having Steven and Sammy Jo back together. I don't know why this was cancelled for the second part of season 6 but still that was in the pipeline.

As for Oxenberg's salary, she already had a raise since all the actors/actress negociated an automatic raise for each new season. But Oxenberg wanted the same salary than Heather Lokclear and Aaron Spelling thought she did not deserved it. For me, he was quite right here What was not right was the recast.
They could have put Amanda in the hospital instead of Jackie (the recast would have been okay for a couple of scenes) and change the plots for Michael. Leslie could have come earlier to replace Amanda.

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
As for Oxenberg's salary, she already had a raise since all the actors/actress negociated an automatic raise for each new season.
I want your source for this.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Actually, that was the plan for Oxenberg. Even during the retooling of season 6 the staff was discussing of making Amanda "more like Fallon" (from seasons 3-4 obviously) and bringing back Michael. Just like they were already discussing the possibility of having Steven and Sammy Jo back together. I don't know why this was cancelled for the second part of season 6 but still that was in the pipeline.
Well of course that's all fine and well. But when Amanda suddenly has a new head and a new personality it doesn't work. If they were going to recast then they needed to hold off their plans at changing her personality until the viewers at least got used to her face.

As for Oxenberg's salary, she already had a raise since all the actors/actress negociated an automatic raise for each new season. But Oxenberg wanted the same salary than Heather Lokclear and Aaron Spelling thought she did not deserved it. For me, he was quite right here
I don't know, I could see where Oxenberg was coming from. She wasn't the greatest actress but her character and her storyline had catapulted the show to number 1 in the ratings. She at least deserved the same salary as Heather Locklear. After all Locklear only became a series regular in season 6. Whereas Oxenberg had been main cast since season 4.
Leslie could have come earlier to replace Amanda.
Leslie shouldn't have come at all.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Pamela Bellwood was sacked for being pregnant? I mean, the Dynasty scripts where that tightly plotted and written that they couldn't have accommodated her?

Spelling did the same to Hunter Tylo for Melrose Place, but she took his ass to court and won. Too bad Bellwood didn't.
I think Spelling did not have the pedigree to do the kind of show DYNASTY was in season 1. But ABC execs did not care about these things. Esther Shapiro should have had someone else produce the show, and she herself should have found somebody decent to run it once she decided she did not want to deal with it day to day.
But DYNASTY in later seasons was very much a true Spelling production.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Spelling did the same to Hunter Tylo for Melrose Place, but she took his ass to court and won. Too bad Bellwood didn't.
It would never happen now. Not to an actress that far into a run on a hit show. If she got pregnant that's her business. Spelling productions didn't own her womb.

tommie

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards

I can sort of see his point of view in the Tylo situation at least - I mean, she was just casted into a role that had already been plotted out to be a major part of the next season and almost immediatly after being cast, she announces that she's pregnant. So either they had to change the later part of the season or recast. It's not right, but I can at least understand where they were coming from. Bellwood had been a part of the show for six seasons and was probably the best actor on the show, especially considering the crap material she often got. They could've at least given the character the original dignified exit with her finally getting what's hers. Instead they gave her an awful exit, didn't even give the character a proper funeral and just ignored she ever existed.

GillesDenver

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I want your source for this.
Well I've already upload a copy of Joan Collins's contract for seasons 4 to 6 showing that she was supposed to be paid $50.000 for season 6 before she asked for $70.000 (and was eventually given $60.0000).

I don't have official documents for Catherine Oxenberg but a press article : https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/182526368/
However I need to point out that $12.5000 might be a confusion with Cellini's salary (https://people.com/archive/cover-story-tvs-hall-of-flukey-fame-vol-26-no-8/).
In season 6 Oxenberg's salary was more like $15.000 (https://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/celeb/actress/catherine-oxenberg-net-worth/).

Since she stated that she asked for a raise of $2.5000 (http://backtodenver.blogspot.com/p/abc-strikes-oil-pt-8-season-7-1986-87.html), it means that her salary for season 7 should have been of $20.000 - already an increase in comparison of season 6.

Attachments

• lf.jpg
    lf.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 181

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well I've already upload a copy of Joan Collins's contract for seasons 4 to 6 showing that she was supposed to be paid $50.000 for season 6 before she asked for $70.000 (and was eventually given $60.0000).

I don't have official documents for Catherine Oxenberg but a press article : https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/182526368/
However I need to point out that $12.5000 might be a confusion with Cellini's salary (https://people.com/archive/cover-story-tvs-hall-of-flukey-fame-vol-26-no-8/).
In season 6 Oxenberg's salary was more like $15.000 (https://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/celeb/actress/catherine-oxenberg-net-worth/).

Since she stated that she asked for a raise of $2.5000 (http://backtodenver.blogspot.com/p/abc-strikes-oil-pt-8-season-7-1986-87.html), it means that her salary for season 7 should have been of $20.000 - already an increase in comparison of season 6.
But Joan's contract doesn't apply to the rest of the cast, does it? Joan, John and Linda obviously had different circumstances.

Why do you say they all got automatic raises for each new season?

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
As for Oxenberg's salary, she already had a raise since all the actors/actress negociated an automatic raise for each new season. But Oxenberg wanted the same salary than Heather Lokclear and Aaron Spelling thought she did not deserved it. For me, he was quite right here What was not right was the recast.
They could have put Amanda in the hospital instead of Jackie (the recast would have been okay for a couple of scenes) and change the plots for Michael. Leslie could have come earlier to replace Amanda.
* Translation: "But mummy...!"

tommie

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Why do you say they all got automatic raises for each new season?

I obviously can't speak for how it happened in the 80s, but these days actors tend to lock themselves into multiple season contracts (like one season up to seven seasons even) and it goes without saying that there's automatic raises going on in those contracts instead of re-negotiating every season. I assume it was the same back then.

Brian Carrington Colby

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards

It's interesting that Oxenberg wanted a salary on par with Locklear. I think that is the first I've heard of that. Upon examination of the situation with both actresses at the end of Season 6, it could be argued that Locklear was in a more powerful position in terms of where she fit into the entire production. Heather definitely had seniority over Catherine, having been on Dynasty in some capacity for four years, as opposed to Catherine's two year stint. Heather also had the advantage of starring on one of Spelling's other modestly hit shows, T.J Hooker, the same time she was occasionally appearing on Dynasty during Seasons 3-5. Not to mention having guested on Love Boat, Fantasy Island, and other Spelling shows (like all Spelling "contract players" had to do). If Heather was a "troublemaker" behind the scenes, Spelling would not of put her full time on Dynasty in Season 6 once T.J. Hooker wound down. It could be argued that she rightfully earned her salary on the show, whatever that salary might of been. It doesn't surprise anyone really that when Heather appeared on Melrose Place in the 1990's in what was at first supposed to be a limited role, and helped save the show with her portrayal of Amanda Woodward, Spelling would then refer to her as his lucky charm, or something like that.

Catherine, on the other hand, didn't quite have the same cache Heather had built up by the summer of 1986. True, it can be argued that the addition of the Amanda character in Season 5 helped propel the show to #1 in the ratings for that 1984-1985 television season. It might be a matter of being in the right place at the right time, in terms of the introduction of the Amanda character, and the casting of Catherine in the role. At the beginning of Season 5, the show had lost Pamela Sue Martin, and with her went Fallon (at least temporarily), which meant there was not a younger female perspective on the show. Heather was still only appearing sporadically, due to her commitments on T.J. Hooker, and Kathleen Beller's Kirby was gone as well. Though Claudia was married to Steven, she still skewed "older" due to her past history with Matthew and Krystle. The time was ripe to introduce a new younger female character, a long-lost Carrington daughter, who could be a source of renewed tension between Blake and Alexis. In a way it was inspired to make the new daughter British, giving her an identity separate from the very American Fallon. I also give the show credit for not (for once) doing the obvious and having Amanda and Jeff interact and him falling for her, as a replacement for Fallon. Having Amanda fall in love with Dex, her mother's hot husband, ensured that the Amanda character had strong ties to one of the main characters of the show. As well, it cannot be disputed that, whatever skills Catherine lacked as an actress, she more than made up for in attitude, countenance, and style. She was a younger Joan Collins in many ways, the way she wore the outfits, the way she pouted, her haughty stares, she fit in with the tone and style of Season 5. Simply put, Catherine's Amanda worked. And when it was decided to have the royal wedding cliffhanger, it was again a question of the right time, right show, and the right actress to do it. In the mid-80s North America was fascinated with Britain's Royal Family, specifically Princess Diana. This was well before the public knew what was going on behind the scenes in the palace. The fact that Catherine's own mother is deposed Royalty, and is related to the British Royal Family to boot, not to mention that Catherine's only other big role was playing Princess Diana in a TV movie of the week before she started on Dynasty, it fed into the zeitgeist of that time. It is not surprising that Catherine might have had an inflated sense of self in terms of her contribution and worth to the show.

If you look at both actresses during Season 6, both were heavily involved in the two storylines credited with damaging Dynasty: Heather and the Rita/Krystle storyline, and Catherine with the Moldavian aftermath. One thing with Heather's situation, even though the storyline was convoluted and just too much for Dynasty, she was front and centre with Linda Evans, so she got screen time, and she did act the Hell out of it, from Sammy Jo's initial scheming to her eventual redemption. Sammy Jo grew as a character and Heather did a great job with what she was given. Amanda in the first half of Season 6, on the other hand, didn't fare as well as a character. The character went from having a prominent part in the previous season interacting with Alexis and Dex, to being relegated to a few scenes interacting mainly with dull Prince Michael, and those scenes were mainly her being jealous of Michael and his interaction with the Duchess of Brana, or being treated like garbage by Michael, or questioning her marriage to Michael. Weeks on end of this. The character of Amanda went from being the motivating force in her storyline, to being a bit-player. Now, it can be said that once the season was retooled and the Moldavians were sent packing, the Amanda character did spring back somewhat: bedding Dex, being disowned by Alexis, attempting suicide, sniping with Sammy Jo, and having interaction/an attraction (I guess attraction, their relationship was all over the place) with new stud Clay. The problem seemed though, that after months of misuse, besides the resolution of the Alexis/Dex/Amanda triangle, what the writers came up with for the character just didn't seem to gell as well as it should. A part of that might of been the fact that after the Moldavian fiasco, they tried to make Amanda more "North American' in tone and style, and stripped away what Catherine could do well, working with her natural British/European style and countenance. International was out, All-American was in. By the end of the season, Heather's character was in a much healthier state than Catherine's was.

Once Season 6 ended, and Catherine's firing from the show was announced in July of 1986, the press reports hint at some tension between her and Spelling. The July 19, 1986 Lakeland Ledger story ( https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=pbBOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=cPsDAAAAIBAJ&pg=7047,1069781 ) states that Catherine heard rumours she was going to be fired from the show while vacationing in Europe that summer prior to work resuming on Dynasty and phoned Spelling to make sure this wasn't true. At that point it wasn't. But still, it hints that there must of been some concern, for some reason, for Catherine to get assurance her job was secure. According to Spelling, everything was fine until Catherine started her power-play for more money weeks later. Now, because the above link tells Spelling's side of the story, it doesn't portray Catherine in a favourable light, stating that she was refusing to report to work when production on Season 7 started, and that when contacted by Spelling, her new agent made demands for more money and creative control of her character. Both these points were major no-no's in Spelling's eyes. Even the announcement of her departure caused tension. According to the E! True Hollywood Story: Dynasty TV show, Catherine states that she and the show agreed to an amicable parting of the ways, whereas Spelling issued a statement saying she was flat-out fired! Of course, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Still, whether it was due to greedy new management giving her bad advice, or by her own free will, she did roll the dice for more from the Dynasty pie that summer, and she lost big-time.

It would be interesting to know if any sort of negotiation process was initiated with Catherine, once she started playing games and not reporting to work, and her true demands were made by her new agent. Or, was it a flat-out "You're FIRED!" from the get-go. If it was the later, which seems likely, knowing what we know about Spelling, it doesn't really suggest that the relationship between Spelling and Oxenberg was the strongest. Yet again, maybe he thought it was, and that sense of betrayal (which the article states Spelling feeling) by Catherine enraged him enough to fire her right away.

In the end, as history shows, Catherine was fired, and the ensuing panic resulted in the hasty hiring of Karen Cellini in a role that was so wrong for her. So wrong in fact, it resulted in Karen being blamed for the recasting failure, and her being fired only months later. It's plain to see that, if Catherine Oxenberg did consider herself worth the same salary as Heather Locklear, Aaron Spelling ultimately did not. For her part, Heather Locklear stayed the course and survived both "Amanda" actresses to become a major part of Dynasty right to the last show, three seasons later. And worth every penny she got.........

Last edited:

Brian Carrington Colby

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A question, when do you think this ABC summer promo was shot?

Back in the day, each network created a series of promo commercials to broadcast during the summer months, to help the audience to remember their respective shows, and to get people jazzed up for the coming television season. The summer of 1986, ABC's promos were called "We Belong Together" with an appropriately catchy song, stressing "Family" both with the viewing audience, and the casts of the upcoming 1986-1987 ABC TV shows. In the above video, at the 1:54 mark, there is Catherine Oxenberg on the main Dynasty stairwell set, dressed in a tuxedo, hugging her Dynasty co-stars Heather Locklear, Jack Coleman, and Ted McGinley.

My guess is it had to of been shot, at least the Dynasty cast shots, before the end, or just after the end, of shooting of Season 6. Whenever it was shot, it is crazy to see Catherine in it, an anomaly considering that by mid-summer 1986 she was gone from Dynasty, and yet this promo possibly played on after her departure. :)

Last edited:

Ked

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A question, when do you think this ABC summer promo was shot?

Back in the day, each network created a series of promo commercials to broadcast during the summer months, to help the audience to remember their respective shows, and to get people jazzed up for the coming television season. The summer of 1986, ABC's promos were called "We Belong Together" with an appropriately catchy song, stressing "Family" both with the viewing audience, and the casts of the upcoming 1986-1987 ABC TV shows. In the above video, at the 1:54 mark, there is Catherine Oxenberg on the main Dynasty stairwell set, dressed in a tuxedo, hugging her Dynasty co-stars Heather Locklear, Jack Coleman, and Ted McGinley.

My guess is it had to of been shot, at least the Dynasty cast shots, before the end, or just after the end, of shooting of Season 6. Whenever it was shot, it is crazy to see Catherine in it, an anomaly considering that by mid-summer 1986 she was gone from Dynasty, and yet this promo possibly played on after her departure. :)

Dang it, that just makes me even more mad that Catherine was given the boot! She looks so cute with her co-stars like that (though Heather looks kind've irritated :lol:), although wait, at the bottom, is that Troy Beyer? Hard to tell, the picture's so grainy... But anyway, back to Catherine, the fact that she's wearing a suit instead of an evening gown reminds me of how PSM wore one during that one Season 4 promo... yet *another* detail that made Catherine playing Pamela's sister so perfect.

Brian Carrington Colby

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dang it, that just makes me even more mad that Catherine was given the boot! She looks so cute with her co-stars like that (though Heather looks kind've irritated :lol:), although wait, at the bottom, is that Troy Beyer? Hard to tell, the picture's so grainy... But anyway, back to Catherine, the fact that she's wearing a suit instead of an evening gown reminds me of how PSM wore one during that one Season 4 promo... yet *another* detail that made Catherine playing Pamela's sister so perfect.

Yes to all this!!! And, if you slow the video down, I am pretty sure that IS Troy Beyer along with Catherine, Heather and the rest. You can just make out that Troy's hair is in a high braid behind her head (sorry, I don't know what that hair style is called). She must be crouching down or kneeling (in her Nolan Miller gown? Shocking! LOL), or the others are on a platform or something raised behind her. Too cool!

And Catherine wearing the tuxedo reminded me as well of Pamela Sue Martin in that old promo she did from Season 3 or 4, where PMS wore a tux as well. The original Carrington sisters had a unique sense of style and fun!!! :)

In this promo I also love the quick shots of John Forsythe, Linda Evans, Joan Collins, and Diahann Carroll on the main Dynasty stairwell set, supposedly finishing up a Dynasty scene, then the director yelling "That's a wrap," and the four then giving each other spirited hugs!! Especially interesting to see Joan and Linda hugging each other with big smiles!!! Acting!!! LOL (Sorry, Just me being snippy. I am sure L.E. and J.C. got along just fine on set). :)

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Nowhere did the glamorous stars of DYNASTY seem less glamorous than on DYNASTY itself.

Promos, TV interviews, walking the red carpet, public appearances..... everywhere they went, they looked great and seemed vital and alive. Except in that Dynastic Dead Zone. Where nothing and no one could breathe.

Last edited:

Ked

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes to all this!!! And, if you slow the video down, I am pretty sure that IS Troy Beyer along with Catherine, Heather and the rest. You can just make out that Troy's hair is in a high braid behind her head (sorry, I don't know what that hair style is called). She must be crouching down or kneeling (in her Nolan Miller gown? Shocking! LOL), or the others are on a platform or something raised behind her. Too cool!

It must be a platform or something that Heather and Catherine are standing on, since both Jack and Ted look their normal heights next to Troy. But man, Troy actually looks elegant in this grainy shot and not like some syrupy little girl. Why didn't she look like this on the show?

And Catherine wearing the tuxedo reminded me as well of Pamela Sue Martin in that old promo she did from Season 3 or 4, where PMS wore a tux as well. The original Carrington sisters had a unique sense of style and fun!!! :)

I would have loved it if there had been a party scene at the mansion, and Fallon decided to "make a statement" by showing up wearing a tuxedo... only for Little Sister to appear at almost the same time in a tux as well. Fallon's irritated that Amanda stole her thunder but plays along, like they had both decided to do this... but later on, the sisters have themselves a glorious catfight! :lol:

In this promo I also love the quick shots of John Forsythe, Linda Evans, Joan Collins, and Diahann Carroll on the main Dynasty stairwell set, supposedly finishing up a Dynasty scene, then the director yelling "That's a wrap," and the four then giving each other spirited hugs!! Especially interesting to see Joan and Linda hugging each other with big smiles!!! Acting!!! LOL (Sorry, Just me being snippy. I am sure L.E. and J.C. got along just fine on set). :)

I suppose it is strange to see them hug, but I saw the behind-the-scenes filming of the poolfight between Amanda and Sammy Jo. They did the whole thing in one take, and once the director said, "And we got it!" the two girls started laughing and gave each other a huge hug, even falling back into the water as they did. They even started laughing at what they had just been doing, huddling down in the water and pointing at each other (couldn't hear what they exactly said, but I got the gist).

Makes me wonder if Heather and Catherine were chummy on set. I mean, they were the same age on a show mostly filled with "grown ups." Plus, there were lots of photos with them and Troy Beyer doing promo shots, and in all of them, Catherine and Heather look like they're playing with each other.

Which makes me wonder even more, only about Heather's feelings on Catherine leaving and having to re-film with a different actress. Aside from those re-shoots, Heather only had one other scene with Karen Cellini. The characters get catty with each other... and now that I think about it, in that scene it seemed pretty clear both Amanda and Clay had feelings for each other.

Which leads me again to resent Catherine leaving all over again, because Amanda should have gotten with Clay! :( D'ooooooh...

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If what was said about CO's behavior was even remotely accurate, I gotta side with Spelling. Fire her.
But we don't know if it's accurate. And given all the dishonest spin that came out of the front office over the years, I'm inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But we don't know if it's accurate. And given all the dishonest spin that came out of the front office over the years, I'm inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt.

I refuse to give the DYNASTY brass the benefit of the doubt, that's for sure. This is the group that tried to sell us on the idea that DYNASTY season 6A was so bad because Joan Collins was not in the first episode and (per Esther) "all the motivation for the character's later actions was not understood." Please. DYNASTY had not been that well-plotted for at least a couple of years.