tommie

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I refuse to give the DYNASTY brass the benefit of the doubt, that's for sure. This is the group that tried to sell us on the idea that DYNASTY season 6A was so bad because Joan Collins was not in the first episode and (per Esther) "all the motivation for the character's later actions was not understood." Please. DYNASTY had not been that well-plotted for at least a couple of years.

They also tried to put the dopplegänger plot on Linda Evans, Pamela Sue was cited as "being over" in the press once the negotiations for The Colby's fell through, Al Corley was described as being "trouble" when he objected over them flip-flopping on Steven's homosexuality... Aaron Spelling and the Shapiro's came from the Hedda Hooper generation. They probably planted a lot of stories when they felt the actors acted up.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)

tommie

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've found an article stating that Oxenberg actually asked for a big raise (and not for "only" 2.500 $ as she said once) : https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=EloDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6757,1111754&hl=fr

Again, it probably comes from Aaron Spelling's camp, especially as it implies that Heather Locklear is seen as more valuable to the show than Oxenberg.

With that said, wanting the same salary as Locklear is hardly outrageous considering she had been on the show for two full seasons and was a Carrington daughter.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Dynasty 7th season premiere episode hit the air September 24, 1986. Viewers got their first look at Karen Cellini in the role of Amanda in the "Last Time, On Dynasty" Season 6 finale recap at the beginning of the episode. Karen reshot parts of scenes that Catherine Oxenberg appeared in in the finale episode. The first thing you notice is Amanda no longer has an english accent.

In the opening credits, Karen's segment is shot to duplicate Catherine Oxenberg's opening credit sequence.

View attachment 310

I call this Dynasty's schizophrenic choices. I mean, keeping the Amanda credits with that Thames bridge, and having the character lose her English accent.

It's like they kept Fallon's OG credit image for Emma Samms (that horse running wild)... It was perfect for PSM's Fallon : she was free spirit, passionated, wild. Jeff couldn't tame her.

For Emma's Fallon (and the way they wrote the character) they should have put that instead :

esamms opening.jpg

Last edited:

AndyB2008

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Titanic
Again, it probably comes from Aaron Spelling's camp, especially as it implies that Heather Locklear is seen as more valuable to the show than Oxenberg.

With that said, wanting the same salary as Locklear is hardly outrageous considering she had been on the show for two full seasons and was a Carrington daughter.
On another matter, Aaron Spelling had the same issue on Fantasy Island, when Herve Villechaize wanted parity with Ricardo Montelban. Although Tattoo was popular (and still remembered!) , Herve was on less pay than RM.

Spelling got rid of Villechaize and replaced him with Christopher Hewett. Not long after, Fantasy Island died a death.

Last edited:

lbf522

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
After the whole Moldavia storyline was over, the writers did not seem to know what to do with Amanda Carrington.

Monzo

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I read that Karen Cellini originally auditioned for the role of Channing Carter on The Colbys, but after producers noticed Karen's so-called resemblance to Catherine Oxenberg they hired her as Nu-Amanda. It's hard to imagine Karen playing Channing.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I read that Karen Cellini originally auditioned for the role of Channing Carter on The Colbys, but after producers noticed Karen's so-called resemblance to Catherine Oxenberg they hired her as Nu-Amanda. It's hard to imagine Karen playing Channing.

If Frankie had a daughter in The Colbys, Karen Cellini would have been perfectly casted for the role.

On another matter, Aaron Spelling had the same issue on Fantasy Island, when Herve Villechaize wanted parity with Ricardo Montelban. Although Tattoo was popular (and still remembered!) , Herve was on less pay than RM.

Spelling got rid of Villechaize and replaced him with Christopher Hewett. Not long after, Fantasy Island died a death.

I think Aaron was cheap and stingy, when it's about actors. Because of his gigantic ego, he preferred to kill his own shows, getting rid of beloved actors, instead of giving them a raise (Catherine Oxenberg).

Also, one of the problems is that producers and writers think too highly of themselves, and don't understand the importance of actors, thinking they're easily replaceable. And they're not. As much as I love Emma Samms, Pamela Sue Martin (and Al Corley, and Catherine Oxenberg) were the superior version of the character.

That's a bit the same mess with Nu Dynasty : each new Cristal is less popular than the previous one. It's not about personal taste (there's always someone to prefer the latest incarnations) but in general, mainstream viewers and fans prefer the original actors.

Last edited:

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's a bit the same mess with Nu Dynasty : each new Cristal is less popular than the previous one. It's not about personal taste (there's always someone to prefer the latest incarnations) but in general, mainstream viewers and fans prefer the original actors.
I understand the topic seems to be important to you. But it leaves out the part where viewers during the first season of NuDynasty mostly complained about C1 and to a lesser degree Steven. I was glad they fixed it. The people who are now still discussing it are always the same here or at Reddit. Nothing of that did trend at Twitter while Fallon and Fallon and Liam actually do - regularly on Fridays and after Netflix uploading it. So who are the mainstream viewers?

There was really no need to replace Amanda on Dynasty. She should've died in the fire like Claudia. The writers obviously lost interest in writing for them long before.

tommie

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There was really no need to replace Amanda on Dynasty. She should've died in the fire like Claudia. The writers obviously lost interest in writing for them long before.
Absolutely. And since the season ended with Amanda and Sammy Jo fighting, there could've been a trial and a huge media ruckus about Sammy Jo murdering her. Of course, there could've been an attempt by Blake to shift accountability of the fire to Sammy Jo and conflicts and blah blah blah. Instead of whatever we get with Cellini-as-Amanda. There was really no worth in saving her character with a recast, unlike Fallon and Steven.

GillesDenver

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But Catherine Oxenberg was fired a few days before the shooting, it was impossible to change all the scripts and story outlines.
The only thing they could do was giving Amanda's lines to Jackie and vice & versa.

Last edited:

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I understand the topic seems to be important to you. But it leaves out the part where viewers during the first season of NuDynasty mostly complained about C1 and to a lesser degree Steven. I was glad they fixed it. The people who are now still discussing it are always the same here or at Reddit. Nothing of that did trend at Twitter while Fallon and Fallon and Liam actually do - regularly on Fridays and after Netflix uploading it. So who are the mainstream viewers?

The problem with C1 was mainly the writing. Most of us on this board didn't like her at the beginning but ended enjoying the character by the end of the season.
I think there is a pattern here, and it was kinda the same with the OG Spelling production : making wrong choices, bad writing, then fire/blame the actor.

I obviously can't talk about USA or other countries. But when season 3 was on Netflix France, Dynasty was not a twitter trend at all, and even less the characters. I never saw Dynasty or Fallon trending on twitter. But All the young fans talking about the show on Twitter complained about the same things... Anyway, who makes the TT? Mainstream viewers or fans? Keeping in mind that in US Dynasty on the CW is everything but a mainstream hit.

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
She should've died in the fire like Claudia
Or trampled to death.
Why couldn't this be more epic, like Carrie's prom night-turned-hell?
Heck, get Maureen McGovern to sing an instant classic during the La Mirage party.

Season 2: inside the Sky Crest ranch, Toscanni, Blake and Krystle are having a big argument. Then Toscanni detonates the bomb he had planted which causes an avalanche of rocks, endangering Sky Crest and everyone in it.
Season 3: a slasher scenario instead of the cabin fire. But who is the masked madman?
Season 4: the mysterious light that beckons Fallon - maybe a spaceship, maybe not!
Season 5: Alexis' coronation interrupted by the revolutionaries ("How dare you!")
Season 6: the way it was, but much much better
The Colbys season 1: a poseidon adventure disaster
Season 7: the mansion invaded by giant South-American crocodiles, courtesy of Matthew the jungle tycoon.
The Colbys season 2: Constance's video will + Phillip kidnaps Frankie, using the helicopter, but then it crashes into the mansion.
Season 8: the snowstorm

GillesDenver

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You forgot season 9 ! After Fallon shoots Dennis Grimes in the mine, the basement of the mansion collapses and all its residents fall in a huge hole : the Hellmouth !!

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
I think Aaron was cheap and stingy, when it's about actors. Because of his gigantic ego, he preferred to kill his own shows, getting rid of beloved actors, instead of giving them a raise (Catherine Oxenberg).

A lot of producers and others in authority are like that: their ability to say "no" is of paramount importance, and the resulting losses incurred aren't dealt with until after they happen. That's what happened with the Mis-Ellie debacle on DALLAS: they disastrously recast the Emmy-winning matriarch from the biggest show on the planet just to say "no" to Barbara Bel Geddes' request for a modest raise and a reduced workweek while she continued to recuperate from the previous year's heart surgery... And she wasn't even disliked by the brass in the way Oxenberg was.

Executive egos are sometimes much worse than those of the actors.

As I've said, they should have held Oxenberg to her contract, with or without that raise, and then killed her off in the avalanche cliffhanger that was scheduled to close Season 7 but Spelling cancelled also for budget reasons.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A lot of producers and others in authority are like that: their ability to say "no" is of paramount importance, and the resulting losses incurred aren't dealt with until after they happen. That's what happened with the Mis-Ellie debacle on DALLAS: they disastrously recast the Emmy-winning matriarch from the biggest show on the planet just to say "no" to Barbara Bel Geddes' request for a modest raise and a reduced workweek while she continued to recuperate from the previous year's heart surgery... And she wasn't even disliked by the brass in the way Oxenberg was.

Executive egos are sometimes much worse than those of the actors.

As I've said, they should have held Oxenberg to her contract, with or without that raise, and then killed her off in the avalanche cliffhanger that was scheduled to close Season 7 but Spelling cancelled also for budget reasons.

Yes. Budget... Money... Ego... The same way AMC fired Frank Darabont (the show runner from season 1 of The walking Dead) because they wanted him to do 13 episodes for season 2 with the same budget than season 1 (6 episodes)...

In the terrible food chain of Hollywood television there are:
The broadcast > producers > show runners > writers > writer's dogs > directors > actors...

Last edited: