• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

The theme/intro

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I LOVED it, but agree it should have been the full theme - I love how it builds to the BIG MOMENT. Loved it.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
I am a huge fan of theme tunes/titles ( and have been since a kid - I'm 51 now) and I really cannot express or put into words just how mad this theme makes me - just as I'm expecting my 2nd favourite theme tune ever to kick in with the cast list it jumps to the 2nd third of the theme....IT'S HELLISH!!! Damn it infuriates me.

They brought back Thunderbirds a couple of years ago and did the exact same thing...a great theme tune should never be f*cked with IMO....sorry for the naughty word.

What I don't understand is why didn't they use the theme music as it was during the show's first few years which was a lot shorter but suited the Dallas logo zooming up the middle of the screen.

Again obviously Cynthia Cidre hadn't a clue as she hadn't seen or watched much of the original Lorimar Dallas. :(

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Dallas has possibly the most famous title sequence ever.

The only show capable of beating it is the BBC's Doctor Who series.

What's my favourite, well, let's just say it isn't Doctor Who & I absolutely love that show, there's a show I happen to love more.

The best theme music & title sequence belong to only one show, as shown below.

pete lashmar

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dallas has possibly the most famous title sequence ever.

The only show capable of beating it is the BBC's Doctor Who series.

What's my favourite, well, let's just say it isn't Doctor Who & I absolutely love that show, there's a show I happen to love more.

The best theme music & titles sequence belong to only one show, as shown below.

As said above, Dallas is my 2nd favourite theme tune - Doctor Who (Howell theme) is my all time favourite.

But the Dallas theme & titled had IMPACT, they told you what the show was, it was BIG, it was BOLD...but TNT's titles made it look like Moonlighting for heaven's sake.

Rove

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
they didn't tweak this version with the gold Dallas logo
There was one thing which I liked about the intro and that was how the names would appear behind a building as the intro rolled. I did however miss seeing the actors in the opening credits. This of course was corrected later. Seeing Dallas scroll across the screen in soft white was a no no. I also thought the bass was too heavy.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But the Dallas theme & titled had IMPACT, they told you what the show was, it was BIG, it was BOLD...

As did many great title sequences of television's past, including O-R CBS Lorimar Dallas!

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I really liked the TNT Theme, though the rejected one posted by @Via The Void is even more to my liking. I would have preferred the alphabetical order. However, I did not care for the three-part cards (too 80s outdated for my taste) but it was funny how they brought that in the very season that was the least faithful to the stories and character of the original.
Nowadays of course, every revival has the title sequence of the original, so...

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
As said above, Dallas is my 2nd favourite theme tune - Doctor Who (Howell theme) is my all time favourite.

But the Dallas theme & titled had IMPACT, they told you what the show was, it was BIG, it was BOLD...but TNT's titles made it look like Moonlighting for heaven's sake.

I know it's not the Doctor Who theme!

But it's Doctor Who done Dallas style. :)

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Nowadays of course, every revival has the title sequence of the original, so...

Why does every revival have the title sequence design of the parent series?

lbf522

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don't understand this cost-cutting measure by producers today not having full-fledged opening titles or theme. It announces to the viewer what your show is about. I didn't mind the TNT Dallas intro - I'm just thankful we had it. I would have prefered the full theme with the actors shown in alphabetical order as in the original. Season 1 of TNT Dallas had some great shots of the city skyline at night - rarely scene in Lorimar Dallas - however by season 3 they were dropped.

Another observation I've detested over the years is TV series beginning an episode and just prior to their first commercial break they offer a short intro...think The CW Dynasty. Having the intro front and centre announces to household your favourite series is about to begin.

I agree. The theme song was the best part of the show. I grew up with theme songs and hated that it has ended.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Yeah @Darren Chivers I like it. Obviously prefer our original but I actually like it better than the ‘exploding dirt’ season. It’s very sharp. Only thing is I need a zoom in of Southfork at the end. Where’s Victoria too?

Alexis Colby Carrington

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You can't beat the Dallas theme tune, it's iconic, brilliant, I love it in the early seasons where you hear what I think is a guitar just after the first few seconds.
I also love how other people have created their own style theme tunes using the Dallas technique.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It’s one of those themes that to this day you can tell what it is by only hearing about the first 3 notes. Even the average person who is not a Dallas fan can probably tell you what that theme is I bet

Alison Carr

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Posted this elsewhere here but as it fits with the discussion am putting here too.... this one is all mine and the first I have ever done although with a lot of help, patience and tuition! I hope you approve of it as a final season variation, I'd say it's part way between the 3 way split and what the final seasons gave us. Please tell me what you think. I did not include Clayton or April as they barely appeared so keeping them in the titles for the entire season seemed silly. Susan Lucci would have been removed mid season too and maybe replaced by Vanessa Beaumont temporarily.

Alexis Colby Carrington

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Posted this elsewhere here but as it fits with the discussion am putting here too.... this one is all mine and the first I have ever done although with a lot of help, patience and tuition! I hope you approve of it as a final season variation, I'd say it's part way between the 3 way split and what the final seasons gave us. Please tell me what you think. I did not include Clayton or April as they barely appeared so keeping them in the titles for the entire season seemed silly. Susan Lucci would have been removed mid season too and maybe replaced by Vanessa Beaumont temporarily.

I love this. Well done. What program did you use to create it?