• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

World Cup Tournament The World Cup of 80s Prime Time Soap Characters

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards

The World Cup of 80s Prime Time Soap Characters will begin in September in which 32 characters from the main 80s prime time soap operas will compete against each other in a knock out tournament until we have a winner.

The contest will be similar to The World Cup of Dallas game we played earlier this year but will feature characters from 6 different prime time soaps.

I have pre-selected 22 characters to automatically qualify for the World Cup and the remaining 10 places will allocated to the winners of a series of qualifying matches which will start on Monday 2nd August.

You are invited to participate by voting for who you would like to win each round.

More details to follow shortly.

Last edited:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
The following 6 soap operas will be part of this game:

I tried, but there wasn't space, to include characters from Return To Eden, so this game will only feature US prime time soaps.

Further details will follow soon.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
The following characters have been chosen to automatically qualify for the knockout round of the World Cup. They were mainly selected based on making the most appearances in the respective shows. I made a few exceptions to include characters who I considered to be more significant even though another character appeared in more episodes e.g. I included Abby Cunningham for Knots Landing even though Mack MacKenzie made more appearances.

Dallas: JR Ewing, Sue Ellen Ewing, Ellie Ewing, Bobby Ewing.

Falcon Crest: Angela Channing, Richard Channing, Lance Cumson, Maggie Gioberti.

Dynasty: Blake Carrington, Krystle Carrington, Alexis Colby, Fallon Carrington.

Knots Landing: Karen Mackenzie, Valene Ewing, Gary Ewing, Abby Cunningham.

Flamingo Road: Constance Carlyle, Fielding Carlyle, Titus Semple, Lane Ballou.

The Colbys: Jason Colby, Sable Colby.

There was only room for 2 characters from The Colbys, it was either that or to leave the series out of the game altogether. However, there will be a chance to vote to include more of them later on, particularly as some of their main characters also appeared in Dynasty.

There will be a opportunity to vote to include 2 more characters from each the "Big Four", i.e. Dallas, Falcon Crest, Dynasty and Knots Landing and a final place for a character from any of the participating soaps. Further details of these polls will be given on Monday when the voting will begin.

If you have any questions before then, please post them on this thread, although full details of how each round of the game is to be played will be given before each poll opens.

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Phew! ;-) thank you! :) and thanks for considering including RTE. Maybe a uk and Aussie soaps World Cup one day? Haha :)

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Phew! ;-) thank you! :) and thanks for considering including RTE. Maybe a uk and Aussie soaps World Cup one day? Haha :)

It would have been great to have had Stephanie Harper and Jilly Cooper in the game but if would have meant leaving out characters like Bobby Ewing and Fallon Carrington. I will find a way to feature Return To Eden in a future World Cup.

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
You are a star @Angela Channing :) A soap opera of Pam Ewing, Alexis Carrington, Jilly Stewart and Stephanie Harper/Tara Welles with a few of soaps yummiest men would have been a dream

Last edited:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
There will be a rule change for the matches in The World Cup of Prime Time 80s Soaps compared with how we played the game previously.

To make the World Cup less predictable and the avoid just one soap dominating, forum members are only permitted one vote for a particular soap each week unless there are 2 characters from the same soap competing against each other in the same match.

Therefore, if there are characters from the same soap in both matches, you may only choose one of them to go through to the next round. You may still vote in both matches or just vote in one of them in your prefer.

Character who appeared in more than one soap (e.g. Fallon Carrington and Valene Ewing), for the purpose of this game, they will only represent the soap stated in my previous post.

I will explain this rule change in more detail when he situation arises.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Match 1 is between Karen MacKenzie (Knots Landing) and Fallon Carrington (Dynasty) and Match 2 is between Bobby Ewing (Dallas) and Maggie Gioberti (Falcon Crest).

You are voting for the character you would like to win each of the two matches to go through to the semi finals. You may vote for a winner for either match or for both matches.

The poll will close at midnight on Sunday 9th September.

Last edited:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I will vote first to make it clear how to play along. Giving reasons for your vote(s) are optional.

Match 1 - Karen MacKenzie - I liked when Fallon was played by Pamela Sue Martin but I thought she lost her edge when Emma Samms took over the role. Karen MacKenzie was consistently interesting and was the centre of so much that went on in Knots Landing so she gets my vote.

Match 2 - Maggie Gioberti - Maggie and Bobby were both the nice guys that contrasted will the villains of their respective shows. I can't forgive Bobby for coming back from the dead and ruining the credibility of Dallas. Maggie on the other hand was always a great character who was never scared to stand up to Angela. She was interesting as Chase's wife and even more so when she married Richard. Her death was one of the most surprising, bizarre and memorable of any of the soaps. Overall, Maggie is my winner for this match.

Last edited:

Zach

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Karen MacKenzie

My vote goes to Karen, there's no Knots Landing without her. Fallon was an intriguing and interesting character in the first two seasons, after that, I am afraid not so much (thanks to the writers).

Maggie Gioberti

My second vote goes to Maggie, one of the nicest characters in soapland. Bobby on the other hand was smug and spoiled and ruined Dallas.