• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

World Cup Tournament The World Cup of Dallas

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
We played this game in the Falcon Crest Forum and it's now coming to Dallas.

How It Will Work
The World Cup of Dallas is a popularity contest between different Dallas characters in a knockout competition with the same format as the knockout stage of the FIFA World Cup.

I will take 16 Dallas characters and randomly pair them to compete against each other in a match. Forum members can then vote on who they want to win each contest and the one with the most votes will go through to the next round and loser will be eliminated.

After round 1, the 8 winning characters will go through to the quarter finals where they will again compete against each other to qualify for the semi-finals and then the final where the remaining 2 characters will compete to be the winner.

How You Can Take Part
Each week there will be 1 or 2 fixtures and if you want to take part, post the names of the characters you want to win each match. You can provide reasons for your vote (which may influence how others vote) but there is absolutely no obligation to do so. In the event of a tie, the choice of the person who posts first (excluding my vote) will be the winner of the match.

Details of the first match will be posted later this week.

If you have any questions, please post them on this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've put the names through the cup fixture software and it has come up with some very interesting matches in which some of the tournament favourites have been drawn against each other early on, as you will see in future weeks.

This week's matches:

Match 1 will be between Ray Krebbs and Katherine Wentworth and Match 2 will be contested by Clayton Farlow and Donna Krebbs.

You are voting for which character you would like to win each of the two matches.

Please post the name preferred winner of each match to go through to the quarter finals. You can give reasons for your votes but this is entirely optional and you can just give the names if you prefer.

Voting will close at Midnight on Monday 22nd January 2018. When the poll closes, I will add up the votes and the 2 characters receiving the most votes will go through to the next round and the other 2 character will be eliminated.

Last edited:

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
My votes:

Match 1 - Katherine - although Ray was in the series longer, Katherine was such an interesting and deliciously devious character that she gets my vote.

Match 2 - Clayton - difficult choice but ultimately Clayton's role in the Wes Parmalee storyline (which was one of my favourites) swung it for me.

Victoriafan3

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Match 1 - Katherine. Morgan played her in such a fun way. She was pivotal in the 83-84 season and in swan song. Beautiful lady, fabulously dressed, camp, funny and very watchable and quite sad and tragic all at the same time. I liked Ray aswell, Steve was a good actor but Katherine has to get my vote push come to shove here lol

Match 2 - Donna. Again Susan was a great actress. I loved her punching Bonnie and in the dream season especially, her story with Tony and that episode of the oil barons ball where she screamed. Goose bumps moment. She shone and should’ve been nominated for an Emmy. Clayton/Howard was good and solid it again, faced with this choice, it’s Donna. So grounded. Her and the real Miss Ellie kept the show earthed. Susan rocked and has always been one of my favourites. So natural as Donna

Last edited:

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
oh Gosh, thats so hard, the 2nd option as i love Donna too

1 Ray Krebbs - Loved the character of Ray as SF foreman who became a ewing son and struggled with it all.
I have to vote for Steve Kanaly, i spent 2 days with him and he got me on the Dallas set!!

2. Has to be Clayton Farlow - I far preferred him to Jock on Dallas and Im glad he married momma and made her happy and was a thorn in JRs side
and re Howard Keel - he is possibly one of the nicest men i have ever had the privilege of meeting, a true star, a gent and appreciated his fans

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
The line up of characters that will compete for The World Cup of Dallas is now complete. They are as follows: Afton, Bobby, Clayton, Cliff, Digger, Donna, Ellie, Jenna, Jock, J.R., Katherine, Kristin, Lucy, Pamela, Ray and Sue Ellen.

I will make the draw for the first round (round of 16) later today and will post details of the first matches shortly after.

PS Yay!!! No simpering April!! :laughs:

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Match 1:
Ray Krebbs

As portrayed by Kanaly, Ray’s natural earnestness and humility brought a great many layers to his scenes. More than any other character on the show, I got a sense that Ray worked hard to earn the respect of the other characters.

All of his relationships had a complexity to them: the history with Pam brought a nice undercurrent of tension to his interactions with Bobby early in the show. He brought depth to Gary’s visits to Southfork throughout the Eighties with their bonding and shared love of the land (post Ackroyd, Gary’s Dallas appearances didn’t do the character justice, but the dynamic with Ray brought out the best).

His (at times) slightly awkward relationship with Ellie in particular was just fascinating - especially once the truth was out about his lineage. Ray’s relationship with Jock was one of that character’s saving graces, and his later acceptance of Clayton was a turnaround - this time it felt like Clayton had earned Ray’s respect as much as the other way round.

His dalliances with Lucy and Sue Ellen hung over the show like a cloud of discomfort, as did his history of largin’ it up with JR.

And that’s not even covering his relationship with Donna.

Match 2:
Donna Culver Krebbs

This was a really difficult one for me. Both Clayton and Donna were extremely watchable for this Dallas viewer. I loved Clayton’s humour and charm, but I feel Donna had more of a journey over the years and her interactions with a wide range of characters made an impact on the stories - from her fling with Cliff to her friendship with Ellie. She also clashed beautifully, from JR (her “We’ll destroy you” speech to him is one of my favourite scenes) to Mickey and even Ellie.

Without Donna it would have been a very different Dallas.

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'll go with Ray and Donna too. Katherine was fun and Clayton was likeable, but the Krebbses were more three-dimensional.

Angela Channing

LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ray Krebbs

As portrayed by Kanaly, Ray’s natural earnestness and humility brought a great many layers to his scenes. More than any other character on the show, I got a sense that Ray worked hard to earn the respect of the other characters.

All of his relationships had a complexity to them: the history with Pam brought a nice undercurrent of tension to his interactions with Bobby early in the show. He brought depth to Gary’s visits to Southfork throughout the Eighties with their bonding and shared love of the land (post Ackroyd, Gary’s Dallas appearances didn’t do the character justice, but the dynamic with Ray brought out the best).

His (at times) slightly awkward relationship with Ellie in particular was just fascinating - especially once the truth was out about his lineage. Ray’s relationship with Jock was one of that character’s saving graces, and his later acceptance of Clayton was a turnaround - this time it felt like Clayton had earned Ray’s respect as much as the other way round.

His dalliances with Lucy and Sue Ellen hung over the show like a cloud of discomfort, as did his history of largin’ it up with JR.

And that’s not even covering his relationship with Donna.

That's one of the best analyses of Ray Krebbs I've ever read.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Ok hope I do this right!

Match One - Ray - aw I was gonna say Katherine but Ray is a sweetie and had a rough ride

Match Two - Clayton - loved him and he was one of few not afraid of JR or anybody else

Last edited: