• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

These are The Pollocks

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But the Pollocks were executive producers of "The Colbys", like they were in "Dynasty" from seasons 6 to 9 (they were executive consultants in season 5).

They were usually listed as "executive story consultant" or "creative consultant" or "senior creative consultant" from Season 2 thru Season 8, but they were the de facto showrunners of DYNASTY. Which is what they wanted. (They weren't involved in Season 9 at all).

The Pollocks co-created THE COLBYS, but William Bast & Paul Huson were told they could do anything they wanted -- which is undoubtedly the reason the spin-off was better than the two concurrent years of DYNASTY where the Pollocks continued their creative stranglehold.

Not that they were the sole culprits. This brief interview snippet with casting director extraordinaire, Pam Polifroni, describes what it was like working on LOVE BOAT and HOTEL with Doug Cramer (who once sneered that "nobody remembers" Pamela Sue Martin and Al Corley, while extoling the acting virtues of Jack Coleman):

GillesDenver

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They were usually listed as "executive story consultant" or "creative consultant" or "senior creative consultant" from Season 2 thru Season 8, but they were the de facto showrunners of DYNASTY. Which is what they wanted. (They weren't involved in Season 9 at all).

To be more accurate, they were story editors from season 2 to 4, executive story consultant in season 5 and supervising producers from season 6 to 8 + "The Colbys".
Their involvment in "Dynasty" from 1985 to 1988 was the same than for "The Colbys" from 1985 to 1987 : assisting the writers on a daily basis (while the Shapiros were only helping on a weekly basis).
Bast & Huson were running "The Colbys" like Camille Marchetta" run "Dynasty in season 5, Diana Gould in season 6 and Laurence Heath in season 7. All were producers and writers of the seasonal bible. Jeff Ryder' s case was different. Although he wrote the bible of season 8, he was not producing the show (probably because he only had experience in daily soaps).

Not that they were the sole culprits. This brief interview snippet with casting director extraordinaire, Pam Polifroni, describes what it was like working on LOVE BOAT and HOTEL with Doug Cramer (who once sneered that "nobody remembers" Pamela Sue Martin and Al Corley, while extoling the acting virtues of Jack Coleman):

I'm not astonished. Look at this document.

Attachments

• Casting The Colbys.pdf
    144.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
To be more accurate, they were story editors from season 2 to 4, executive story consultant in season 5 and supervising producers from season 6 to 8 + "The Colbys".
Their involvment in "Dynasty" from 1985 to 1988 was the same than for "The Colbys" from 1985 to 1987 : assisting the writers on a daily basis (while the Shapiros were only helping on a weekly basis).
Bast & Huson were running "The Colbys" like Camille Marchetta" run "Dynasty in season 5, Diana Gould in season 6 and Laurence Heath in season 7. All were producers and writers of the seasonal bible. Jeff Ryder' s case was different. Although he wrote the bible of season 8, he was not producing the show (probably because he only had experience in daily soaps).
Despite their changing job titles, the Pollocks were the essential show-runners from S2 thru 8, regardless of the other writer-producers who came and went. Marchetta came in in Season 5, Gould for S6, and Heath for S7 -- but the Pollocks had the control, which is why the same suffocating tone-deaf tone ran through all those seasons. (Marchetta has discussed how challenging the Pollocks' aversion for narrative logic was to work under).

I have no doubt that everybody got together around the writers' table on THE COLBYS, but Huson & Bast were given relative autonomy (which they've asserted) and that had to be true, because the spin-off, though flawed, never had the maddening flaws or unchanging creative rigidity that DYNASTY had year after year.

Lotus Point Tundra Torque

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Wizard of Oz
Doug Cramer bragged that DYNASTY had 40+ minutes of music per episode while DALLAS only had 20 minutes,
Hey there! Do you have any more information or sources for this? I'm working on a research project specifically about how orchestral scores were used in these shows, and this could be great information!

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A visual metaphor for what was happening (in front and behind the camera) to the show...

Only two years apart (and the same cinematographer) ... did the Pollocks sign off on this, or even demand it?

Did Joan not complain? Surely she didn't age that much between Season 5 and Season 8...!

alexis_1985_1987.jpg

Laurie Marr

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
How interesting that Dallas veteran Marchetta had at least some influence over Season 5. I’m watching it now and I am currently on episode 9. So far I am finding it to have pace, more dialogue than I expected I have discovered to be actually rather good - and the Dominique plot at these early stages had a focus and hence some drama. Thomson is great and I was surprised by how likeable Oxenberg is. Coleman is dire, of course, but all in all I am enjoying the season very much.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
How interesting that Dallas veteran Marchetta had at least some influence over Season 5. I’m watching it now and I am currently on episode 9. So far I am finding it to have pace, more dialogue than I expected I have discovered to be actually rather good - and the Dominique plot at these early stages had a focus and hence some drama. Thomson is great and I was surprised by how likeable Oxenberg is. Coleman is dire, of course, but all in all I am enjoying the season very much.

Admittedly, though, the first four episodes of Season 5 -- when the Pollocks were there -- dragged and didn't work too well. It didn't pick up until the Pollocks returned. Perhaps Bob & Mike thought they had something to prove (their work in Season 2 and late-Season 6 proved they could do the job, but only under duress.)