• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Things you didn't know about television before...

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This should be a no-brainer so I don't know why I didn't assume this was the case before I learned this: stars are filmed first. Unless you're in a three-camera sitcom (filmed before an audience) or there are other logistics involved (exterior shots that need to be filmed at a certain time of day) if you are the star of the show you scenes are almost always filmed or taped first. If you're a supporting cast member and your scenes are with other supporting cast members you're going to have to wait until the stars of the show are done filming.

I learned that the cast members on One Life To Live were happy when they received their scripts for the following day if they saw they were working with Erika Slezak. As the star of the show, Slezak would be taped first, she was also known for always being prepared and not needing multiple takes. If you were taping with Slezak there was a pretty good chance your workday would end when others on the show were breaking for lunch.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
okay bet ya didn't know this, in (1929) they were testing the use of a TV already! i'm not entirely sure when the 1st tv was sold to stores and bought by a consumer but the UK if IMDB is right had tv movies as far back as (1938) i have a hard time believing that but Vincent Price apparently did one of them if my memory is correct. fast forward to the (1940's) where issues of both Batman and Superman in issues going back as (1946) or (1947) they had Batman in the comics going on tv! Superman as well if you can believe that.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
okay bet ya didn't know this, in (1929) they were testing the use of a TV already! i'm not entirely sure when the 1st tv was sold to stores and bought by a consumer but the UK if IMDB is right had tv movies as far back as (1938) i have a hard time believing that but Vincent Price apparently did one of them if my memory is correct. fast forward to the (1940's) where issues of both Batman and Superman in issues going back as (1946) or (1947) they had Batman in the comics going on tv! Superman as well if you can believe that.
I never knew this until recently but yes, that is correct. TV was around a lot sooner than we realize. The idea itself actually began back in 1843 by a Scottish inventor, but of course everyone either laughed at him or didn’t understand the concept yet. It would be over 80 years until his invention was finally released.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
well in the 1920's they were putting color into some of the silent films to expirement with them actually i think it was before the 1920's. but the 1st big budget film in color was i think becka Sharp (1935) the low budget films such as Mystery of the wax museum (1933) the Original House of wax as a matter of fact. it wasn't use d that often color i mean cause it was expensive as hell.

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That would be John Logie Baird.
The Australian television awards known as The Logies are named after him because Graham Kennedy - who was our greatest pioneer of television variety shows - thought that the name sounded like that of an award.
John Logie Baird was born in 1888. He wouldn’t have been around in 1843.

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That Lynda Carter was only in her 20s when she was Wonder Woman (the title role of the 1976-79 ABC/CBS adventure series by that name); 25 when it started in 1976, and 28 when it ended in 1979 (Carter was born 7/24/51 in Phoenix, AZ as Lynda Jean Cordova Carter).

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
it is amazing how young some stars were when hit shows were on. well i dunno about 1843 for tv but maybe you are thinking about the various ways that were the invention of movies? i mean projectors ? movies if you cam believe it well shorts/movies whatever have been around since like i think (1892) or so ? if i'm not mistaken the first ever test i think was by Edison he had a company that made films up to like the 1920's i think? i want to say (1917) but it may have been into the 20's. the first ever movie i think was of a kiss. and the first film with a story i want to say was in maybe (1902) or (1903) but than i could be wrong on that i don't think Edison had anything to do with that but than i could be wrong. he didn't really create the projector all by himself or rather all the parts weren't all his ideas he i think did invent the projector he i think perfected it that's i think true? but there was a lot of various inventors if i'm not mistaken who created some parts that helped invent it

i'm going by memory and without looking it up so i could be wrong on some of it.but i think i got some of it right at least lol

bmasters9

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
it is amazing how young some stars were when hit shows were on.

And Lee Horsley was in his late 20s approaching 30 when Matt Houston was on ABC from 1982-85.

the-lost-son

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Dallas is the only series I'm a huge fan of, reading books about it etc. Most I know about TV business (ratings, writer's strike, behind-the-scenes-politics) I learned in regards to Dallas.

Season 2 Episode "Jock's trial" ranked no. 16 for the week when it first aired. During the "Who shot JR phenomenon" the rerun of this episode came in at the 9th place with a 40% share.

It's fascinating that a rerun could outnumber the first airing. I've never heard that before and I doubt I ever will.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
really? i do love the show Dallas but there are so many other shows i love more than Dallas i really dunno what number i'd have Dallas but it wouldn't be in my Top 10 i don't think.

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Florence Henderson and Robert Reed often said their characters, Carol and Mike Brady on The Brady Bunch were the first TV couple to share a bed. Is this true and if it is why did it take until 1969 to happen?

In the early days of television, broadcasters saw the need to implement a set of Standards & Practices; these would reduce the chance of offending viewers and would also reduce the risk of outside interference from government agencies like the F.C.C. Rather than reinvent the wheel, they decided to adopt the Hayes Code, created in 1930 by the Motion Picture Association of America and implemented in 1934. The Hayes Code stipulated that actors could not be seen sharing the same bed - even if the characters they portrayed were married. Movie and TV couples would have twin beds until the late 1960s.

The Hayes Code did make an exception for couples who were married in real life. In 1947 the DuMont network began airing Mary Kay and Johnny a fifteen minute situation comedy depicting a young married couple. Mary Kay and Johnny Stearns were married in real life so they were able to be depicted sharing a bed, which they did. In 1948 Mary Kay Stearns became pregnant, after unsuccessfully attempting to conceal the pregnancy, it was eventually written into the series. Mary Kay Stearns was the first TV character to give birth, sorry Lucy.

Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz were married throughout the production of I Love Lucy yet their characters, the Ricardos, had twin beds (sometimes pushed together but made up as separate beds with separate sheets). In a 1955 episode the Ricardos and their friends the Mertzes are driving cross-country when, very tired, they stop at a hotel. Due to the lack of accommodations the Ricardos first share a double bed while Fred and Ethel are in bunk beds. The couples decide to switch and the Mertzes use the double bed. Technically Vivian Vance and William Frawley were the first couple not married in real life to be seen in the same bed together on TV.

Three years prior, in 1952, The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet would premiere, the show which starred real life couple Ozzie and Harriet Nelson, sometimes showed a double bed in their bedroom; at other times twin beds were shown.

It wouldn't be until 1964 that television would regularly depict couples, not married in real life, sharing beds at home. Bewitched debuted on September 17, 1964; in the pilot episode Samantha and Darrin Stephens are in a hotel suite with a double bed. A few weeks later we would see the couple share a bed at home which they would do for the remainder of the series. Exactly one week after Bewitched debuted, the first episode of The Munsters aired. Herman and Lily Munster would also share a bed throughout the run of the series.

It could be argued that the Stephens and the Munsters don't qualify due to a technicality: Samantha Stephens is a witch, Lily Munster is undead and Herman is a collection of reanimated, recycled human remains - neither couple consists of two mortal beings. Technically Carol and Mike Brady are the first couple, not married in real life, portraying mortal characters who are married in the script, to share a bed on a regular basis.

So why did it take until 1969 for this to happen? As social mores evolved film makers began to push back against the restrictions of the Hayes Code. In 1968 The M.P.A.A. implemented a new ratings code which, depending on a film's rating, would allow the depiction of things previously forbidden. By the end of 1968, with the new code in place, the Hayes Code was a thing of the past. The following year TV producers began to test the waters of what they could and could not get away with on television.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Florence Henderson and Robert Reed often said their characters, Carol and Mike Brady on The Brady Bunch were the first TV couple to share a bed. Is this true and if it is why did it take until 1969 to happen?
I never realized this. Although Marcia and Greg might’ve beaten them to the punch. But of course that would be off camera couples I guess.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Nine people living in a house with three bedrooms? Desperate times call for desperate measures, I guess. What kind of awful architect Mike Brady must have been.

Poor Alice had to sleep on the back porch.

ETA: Fred and Wilma Flintstone got to share a bed long before the Stevenses...

Last edited:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
really? i do love the show Dallas but there are so many other shows i love more than Dallas i really dunno what number i'd have Dallas but it wouldn't be in my Top 10 i don't think.
No seriously. What?!

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
i didn't grow up with Dallas like a lot you did i haven't even seen the entire show yet either to be honest. i love the show don't get me wrong but i'm a far bigger fan of Lost in Space (1965-1968) that's my favorite show of all time "Dark Shadows would be my 2nd and i'd say Doctor Who would be my 3rd i really don't know what Dallas would be. TMNT the Original (1987-1996) would be i'd say my 4th that was my child hood pretty much and i even go back to it once in a blue moon. i dunno about #5 though maybe The Twilight Zone (1959-1964) i don't refuse to watch the rest of the show either i just haven't gotten around to it that's all i don't own the entire series either. the last one i own is i forget which one it was where Bobby Dies that is the last one i bought. so the Dream Season is my next Purchase i believe. When Soap net was airing it back in the day i just could not get into it i dunno why but it just felt like it was a downgrade from the previous season. i do plan on getting back to it one day though in recent years i have watched seasons 1-3 dvd wise and Jock's Last Season is the one i'm currently on aka Pam's badly looking Fro season

that thing can scare small children i think. and i think even Victoria Principal would prolly agree to that today lol

Last edited: