This Is What I've Heard: Is It True?

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There are multiple listings for THE COLBYS complete series box set on eBay right now. I've heard through the grape vine that these sets are most likely fraudulent. If anyone of you have ordered this sets from eBay, do you know if they are official sets? I see several sets on eBay right now for around $30 (US).

Here's a picture from one of the current listings.

1626281954133.png

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I purchased mine from Amazon when it was first released and have no doubts as to the authenticity. These eBay listings look fishier than the Fulton Market: multiple sellers but they're all in Maspeth, New York (Queens); low quantity of feedback (double digits) and low feedback scores (disc don't play, package never received). I think these discs are as authentic as this:
Rita.jpg

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
low quantity of feedback (double digits) and low feedback scores (disc don't play, package never received)
That could be a sign to avoid this seller, but it doesn't say anything about the The Colbys DVD. I mean, why bother to create a fake?

I've heard through the grape vine that these sets are most likely fraudulent
For your peace of mind, why not just buy it from one of the many legit businesses instead of looking into a more troublesome alternative?

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That could be a sign to avoid this seller, but it doesn't say anything about the The Colbys DVD. I mean, why bother to create a fake?

For your peace of mind, why not just buy it from one of the many legit businesses instead of looking into a more troublesome alternative?
I think the seller is producing counterfeit DVDs (cheaply made copies). Selling huge quantities of the same titles would raise a red flag so they created multiple accounts to divide their inventory and avert suspicion.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think the seller is producing counterfeit DVDs (cheaply made copies). Selling huge quantities of the same titles would raise a red flag so they created multiple accounts to divide their inventory and avert suspicion.
But it's The Colbys, not Harry Potter. It's for a niche audience and it isn't out of print or anything like that. It doesn't seem like a very profitable scheme, also considering that they have to make an effort to make it look like the real thing.

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But it's The Colbys, not Harry Potter. It's for a niche audience and it isn't out of print or anything like that. It doesn't seem like a very profitable scheme, also considering that they have to make an effort to make it look like the real thing.
I think this is very clever on their part. It doesn't cost any more to make 25 copies of 4 different movies than it does to make 100 copies of one movie: the blank DVDs, paper stock and DVD cases cost the same regardless. If they were selling hundreds of copies of the latest Marvel and DC Summer blockbusters the studios would be on them in a heartbeat. Are the studios going to go after people selling 25 copies of a TV series than ran two seasons 35 years ago? No, they have bigger fish to fry.

There are several eBay sellers who sell CDs of old obscure albums. These are titles that have never been released on CD by a major record label and probably never will be - there isn't enough demand for these. These CDs have been recorded from vinyl and the clicks & pops have been removed electronically; the original album artwork has been scanned, cleaned via Photoshop or a similar program and tweaked to fit a CD jewel case. These sellers have been doing this for years under the same seller IDs. It appears the record companies haven't pursued legal action against them. I imagine it would be very different if they were selling counterfeit copies of the latest Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran albums.

How do I know about these CDs? Because I've purchased quite a few. I felt guilty at first but now I don't. If someone wanted to purchase these albums they would have to buy them in a used record store. Records companies don't make any money from the secondary market; artists don't earn any royalties from used records. These sellers are saving me and other music lovers the hassle of having to search for these albums (hopefully in good condition), ripping them to our computers, using software to clean up the sound, scanning the artwork and cleaning up the images with another software program, burning the album to CD and printing the images to glossy paper.

Back to The Colbys: Shout Factory owns the rights to the series and someone (hopefully) is earning royalties from the release. I would feel guilty purchasing a counterfeit copy knowing someone else has the legal right to produce it on DVD and chose to do so. Also, if sales of legitimate DVD copies of The Colbys suffer due to counterfeit sales, Shout Factory and other companies will be less likely to release other shows and movies that appeal to a niche audience.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think this is very clever on their part
What I meant was, if you're going to make them then you also expect to sell them. Would you consider The Colbys a very in demand item?
"Yeah, let's rip off the world with our sneaky fake The Colbys DVDs! We're gunna be rich!"

Matthew Blaisdel

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
As long as there is an original release of these great shows available, i will always prefere purchasing that over some homemade bootleg copies, as that's our only way to make the studios aware of our ongoing appreciation, love, support and interest for them.

Last edited:

xab

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As long as there is an original release of these great shows available, i will always prefere purchasing that over some homemade bootleg copies, as that's our only way to make the studios aware of our ongoing appreciation, love, support and interest for them.
... And maybe a way to have them considering a reboot ? (But, for God sake, hardly related to the "Liz Gillies comedy hour" show...) "The Colbys" always reminds me of classic plays by Racine or Corneille (if those names ring any bell to non-french people...) The plot settled in antic Roma most of time, it's drama soap at its peek ! But high quality of course, just like Shakespeare. Backstabbing, passions, revenge, tragic love stories... Sable was a brand new Agrippine or Livia...

A genuinely bold reboot, in HBO's style, sexier, more brutal if necessary (Wasn't Fallon raped by Miles after all ? ) freed from censorship, could lead to a strong and very 2021 show...
Where "Dynasty 2017" failed ( just my opinion) "The Colbys 2023" could succeed...

Just my two cents...

Last edited:

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
There are definitely bootlegs of The Colbys going around. There were reviews on Amazon, and people had said they discovered they bought fake copies by mistake. I think this is also true on eBay. I suspect the complete collection of The Golden Girls that I bought from eBay a few years ago is fake too and I paid a lot for them. I didn't watch it right away when I bought it, and then over a year later I noticed. The packaging was cheap, too flimsy. The menus were weirdly basic and home made. Picture quality isn't great either.
It was the stuff I read about The Colbys, that made me think about my Golden Girls set.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
There are definitely bootlegs of The Colbys going around
Even if that's true - but it's all hearsay - then it's still very easy to avoid these: don't buy suspiciously cheap copies advertised as "brand new".

I'd love to see a picture of these bootleg discs. Are they home-made instead of manufactured?

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Even if that's true - but it's all hearsay - then it's still very easy to avoid these: don't buy suspiciously cheap copies advertised as "brand new".

I'd love to see a picture of these bootleg discs. Are they home-made instead of manufactured?
My Golden Girls discs were not suspiciously cheap, I don't think these Colbys ones are either. They have fooled people who thought they were legit. They seem very real and genuine at first. They don't look like someone just made them at home on cheap discs and used a sharpie to label them. The artwork is well scanned and reproduced, just on much thinner card stock. The discs themselves have reproduced artwork from the originals on them. I think they are lesser quality images, slightly pixilated etc. They appear factory sealed and all of those official things we look for. But they are knock offs. There was a whole thing a few years back on Amazon about people being refunded as they were fake. They look almost identical to the official release. I think that it was mentioned on this forum too.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
also considering that they have to make an effort to make it look like the real thing.
They seem very real and genuine at first. They don't look like someone just made them at home on cheap discs and used a sharpie to label them. The artwork is well scanned and reproduced, just on much thinner card stock. The discs themselves have reproduced artwork from the originals on them. I think they are lesser quality images, slightly pixilated etc. They appear factory sealed and all of those official things we look for. But they are knock offs.

This is SO bizarre. I mean...why? Who masterminded this "brilliant" scheme?
Could it not simply be a faulty/inferior batch?

xab

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
... And maybe lead to a reboot ? (But, for God sake, hardly related to the "Liz Gillies comedy hour" show...) "The Colbys" always reminds me of classic plays by Racine or Corneille (if those names ring any bell to non-french people...) The plot settled in antic Roma most of time, it's drama soap at its peek ! But high quality of course, just like Shakepeare. Backstabbing, passions, revenge, tragic love stories... Sable was a brand new Agrippine or Livia...

A genuinely bold reboot, in HBO's style, sexier, more brutal if necessary (Wasn't Fallon raped by Miles after all ? ) freed of censorship, could lead to a strong and very 2021 show...
Where "Dynasty 2017" failed ( just my opinion) "The Colbys 2023 could succeed...

Just my two cents...

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
This is SO bizarre. I mean...why? Who masterminded this "brilliant" scheme?
Could it not simply be a faulty/inferior batch?
I think they are mass produced in China. I doubt there is an inferior batch like that of DVDS. They card stock just felt cheap, if it was official it would be sturdier, and no major company would send out discs where the images on them looked that bad. If there is money to be made this will always happen. There have always been fakes, of everything. It will always be a thing.

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I used to make copies of DVDs to take to work to play in the breakroom (old sitcoms like Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie and The Golden Girls and "family friendly" movies), not just for myself but for my co-workers (one of whom stole a copy of Home Alone). I could have used plain DVDs and written on them with a Sharpie but my printer (nothing special, I bought it at Office Depot) can scan DVDs and CDs and print the artwork to a blank DVD or CD. You can purchase glossy blank discs from Amazon. I'm able to make DVDs and CDs at home that look a lot like the original with the only difference being the reverse side of the disc is a slightly different shade.

You don't need a large factory to mass produce counterfeit DVDs and CDs, just a machine that burns multiple discs at one time and a printer capable of printing on large size cardstock. A year or so ago I watched several videos by a Youtuber who featured unusual houses. One of the houses had been added onto and was foreclosed after being "seized by the authorities". The addition had shelves filled with video games, DVDs, CDs, etc. There were several machines that the Youtuber didn't recognize but I could see that they were DVD burners. It was pretty obvious that someone was running a counterfeiting operation out of this building. This wasn't a factory in China, it was a former church parsonage in Kentucky.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Maybe the White House is a front for the secret THE COLBYS counterfeit mass production. Maybe I'm getting overly suspicious here but at this point I feel everything is possible.
We're all gonna be cloned! The message is in the infamous cliffhanger and now the whole world is going to pay the price for cancelling THE COLBYS.

Mel O'Drama

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They card stock just felt cheap, if it was official it would be sturdier, and no major company would send out discs where the images on them looked that bad.

My copy of The Colbys was pre-ordered from Amazon US before official release, but arrived with a damaged slipcase because the card used was so flimsy. I returned it and they sent a replacement but the same thing happened (again, because the quality was poor). I complained again and they ended up refunding the whole item without me having to return it.

The images on the disc do indeed look quite terrible... like it was done on a printer that was low on black ink. And I think the pre-ordered item had the same issue.

Since my set was pre-ordered from Amazon direct (not a third party seller), I've every reason to think it's genuine. I think it would be a huge undertaking to replicate an item before official release.

Shout! Factory is probably a smaller operation with less resources than many of the big names. Perhaps the initial batch of discs just printed badly and it wasn't viable to print more.

And some manufacturers, sadly, do use a cheaper, less substantial card for their slipcases to further keep costs down. I've just checked, and the slipcase on my copy of The Colbys is of a similar card quality to the ones on my Peyton Place DVDs, also from Shout! (happily, the PP slipcases arrived intact. The Colbys slipcase suffers more because it's covering two large cases rather than one standard amaray).

I'd hesitate to buy this kind of item from eBay, partly because of my obsession with perfect slipcases but mostly for the reasons @Matthew Blaisdel gave above: I want to support the industry. Buying from an authenticated seller gives evidence that there's a market for this show, which might just help get similar shows like Knots and Falcon Crest released (call me Pollyanna).

The Colbys is still for sale on Shout!, so regarding the original question: since there's doubt about the eBay item's authenticity, my suggestion would be to spend a little more and buy it direct from the manufacturer. Then there can be no doubt that it's genuine.