TNT revived Dallas for a 2012–14 series. Would you revisit it again?

stevew

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
DALLAS also has to be sexy, and - no offence - that wasn't going to work for the older original actors so it simply had to be about the next generation.
I thought they took their soap very seriously, as opposed to the childish dramedy in New Dynasty.
PEYTON PLACE also focused a lot on the younger characters but I don't think young viewers were their exclusive target audience.

DALLAS simply has to be a good and modern soap, and that's what it was. It's not possible to make it look like the LORIMAR days because that was a 70s and 80s soap.
Well said.

1) sexy John Ross as a gentleman cowboy raising his young kids on the ranch, a good love story with his sexy younger wife, Pamela, Romeo abs Juliet that works out - awe so sweet.

2) Calley’s son would have been fresh out of college - sexy, single, wild play boy, every bit as arrogant and ruthless as his daddy - and think of the girls (and guys) they could have had him with - maybe a young Anderson granddaughter who could have been the suitable marriage JR would want, maybe a under Frank and Claire Underwood partnership. He could have been Lance to JR’s Angela Channing.

Instead we got two thirty somethings acting like teenagers where they older generation keeps getting involved in old stories, with no satisfied ending to those old stories. Uggggg

the-lost-son

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Lorimar Dallas was a success because its structure was so simple:
1. Romeo / Juliet and their feuding families
2. Cain vs. Abel

So if you want to reboot it, keep that structure:
1. John Ross Ewing marrying Pamela Barnes in the first scene
2. John Ross (good) vs. Christopher (evil)

Keep that structure and go from there. The rest is just small potatoes.

In my opinion the interference from higher management were too severe. The 3 years of Dallas are too erratic to blame one person.

I like the series Cobra Kai, a continuation of the Karate kids-movies. The series runs successfully on Netflix, 10 episodes per year. I think something like that would have been possible for Dallas, but it wasn't meant to be

stevew

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
2. Cain vs. Abel

In my opinion the interference from higher management were too severe. The 3 years of Dallas are too erratic to blame one person.

I like the series Cobra Kai, a continuation of the Karate kids-movies. The series runs successfully on Netflix, 10 episodes per year. I think something like that would have been possible for Dallas, but it wasn't meant to be
Well said.

Pamela_E

administrator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
2. Cain vs. Abel

Your point about the simplicity of Dallas is spot on, the concept and characters were it's success.

JR was simply the baddie, his victims the characters we cared about. That was it.

Cynthia Cidre had a difficult job on her hands.

What show would start with two brothers, cousins,an estranged wife. It was a bit of a mess.

I also think the show felt more 90's, the shock factors of threesomes and drugs may have been talking points 10 years earlier but in the 2010's it was all very passé.

Not only that, but some of the decisions left little to like about many of the characters.

There were various ways to take the series, this just didn't work.

lbf522

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When they did, "JR Returns" that was a good idea and its a shame they did not create a new series from that. For one thing, we would have had Larry Hagman and Ken Kercheval longer and the writing would have been better. The main problem with Dallas TNT, was that they put someone in charge who did not care about the show as it was obvious in the writing.

stevew

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When they did, "JR Returns" that was a good idea and its a shame they did not create a new series from that. For one thing, we would have had Larry Hagman and Ken Kercheval longer and the writing would have been better. The main problem with Dallas TNT, was that they put someone in charge who did not care about the show as it was obvious in the writing.
I agree - that would have been a good time to do a continuation - J. R. should have been at SF (owning 1/2 of it) and running the company from home - like Jock with John Ross and Chris in the roles of Bobby and J. R. Bobby should have owned half the house and owned all of ranch with Lucas having arrived to work for him in an awkward sort of set up, sort of a Lucy and Ray type of character waiting for the big reveal. Two brother's living together passing on their life to the next generation.