Tokyo 2020

EEisdying

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Fast and Furious
A week a way from the opening ceremony now, and even less to the opening events on Wednesday (softball and women's football).

The event will run to the 8th August. I don't know about other countries but the build up has been pretty lowkey here in the UK. The BBC have lost a lot of proliferal rights to Discovery+/Eurosport so they'll like be going back to the chopping and changing of really old Olympics between highlights as opposed to sticking with events for hours. That said Eurosport pricing is reasonable for those who prefer other sports. I've followed Olympics since Beijing and this definitely has the least buzz around it.

The day of sport running from roughly 10pm to 3pm in the UK likely hasn't much helped build up to it. I'm sure night-shifters will be pleased with it.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Hero
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A week a way from the opening ceremony now, and even less to the opening events on Wednesday (softball and women's football).

The event will run to the 8th August. I don't know about other countries but the build up has been pretty lowkey here in the UK. The BBC have lost a lot of proliferal rights to Discovery+/Eurosport so they'll like be going back to the chopping and changing of really old Olympics between highlights as opposed to sticking with events for hours. That said Eurosport pricing is reasonable for those who prefer other sports. I've followed Olympics since Beijing and this definitely has the least buzz around it.

The day of sport running from roughly 10pm to 3pm in the UK likely hasn't much helped build up to it. I'm sure night-shifters will be pleased with it.
The buildup has seemed very low key here in the U.S. as well, but I think that might change once the event gets under way. To be honest, I completely forgot we were only a week away from the opening ceremonies until I read ur post.

And welcome to the site by the way @EEisdying

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The BBC have lost a lot of proliferal rights to Discovery+/Eurosport so they'll like be going back to the chopping and changing of really old Olympics between highlights as opposed to sticking with events for hours. That said Eurosport pricing is reasonable for those who prefer other sports. I've followed Olympics since Beijing and this definitely has the least buzz around it.

I have a feeling we won’t notice much difference with the TV coverage this year. Most of the TV rights relate to live coverage which will be in the middle of the night so die hard fans who watch at 3am may have to watch modern pentathlon and 10m air pistol instead of instead of the 100m butterfly and tennis but they will all feature in the highlights show the next day.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Gymnast Oksana Chusovitina, who won Olympic gold in 1992 retired today after competing in the Tokyo Olympic Games. When her son was diagnosed with Leukaemia in 2002, she came out of retirement to raise money for his treatment. Her son is now 22 and was able to watch his mum compete in her eighth Olympic Games at age 46, the oldest gymnast in Olympic history.

Barbara Fan

Dallas Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound

Tokyo Olympics: Gold medals for Team GB's Adam Peaty, Tom Daley and Matty Lee, and Tom Pidcock​

Congrats to all the medal winners so far

I love the Olympics but do feel there are an awful lot of sports that dont merit being there

I have enjoyed the cycling races, (on the road) where do they get their stamina???? and enjoy swimming

Im biding my time to Friday for the Athletics to start, thats my passion and I hope that GB get a few medals there - Dina Asher Smith and Laura Muir in particular

I do feel that Athletics will suffer a little without the amazing Usain Bolt but iM sure Jamaica will stilll win a few sprints!

I feel sorry for Japan, its the most "efficient" country I have ever visited and the people are so polite.

I do feel rather cheated with BBC highlights which consist of 2 gabby women talking, one who cant even present and shouldnt be there A Scott, and Mz Balding and the likes of babbling Addlington - There is very precious highlights to watch due to their inane chat. Come back Gary.

The opeing ceremony with the drones was incredible and Im sure Japan would have delivered a great Olympic games with specatators present. When I think of the atmosphere in London in 2012 its sad that they wont have that or the competitors get a huge resposnse from the crowd.

EEisdying

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Fast and Furious

Tokyo Olympics: Gold medals for Team GB's Adam Peaty, Tom Daley and Matty Lee, and Tom Pidcock​

Congrats to all the medal winners so far

I love the Olympics but do feel there are an awful lot of sports that dont merit being there

I have enjoyed the cycling races, (on the road) where do they get their stamina???? and enjoy swimming

Im biding my time to Friday for the Athletics to start, thats my passion and I hope that GB get a few medals there - Dina Asher Smith and Laura Muir in particular

I do feel that Athletics will suffer a little without the amazing Usain Bolt but iM sure Jamaica will stilll win a few sprints!

I feel sorry for Japan, its the most "efficient" country I have ever visited and the people are so polite.

I do feel rather cheated with BBC highlights which consist of 2 gabby women talking, one who cant even present and shouldnt be there A Scott, and Mz Balding and the likes of babbling Addlington - There is very precious highlights to watch due to their inane chat. Come back Gary.

The opeing ceremony with the drones was incredible and Im sure Japan would have delivered a great Olympic games with specatators present. When I think of the atmosphere in London in 2021 its sad that they wont have that or the competitors get a huge resposnse from the crowd.

Discovery Plus/ES Player is £7 - and has 20 streams of sports on at anyone time and excellent evening highlights shows, thank me later. Plus a whole load of on demand content, apart from the triathlons last night and the night before because I wanted to sprawl in front of a real telly don't thing I've watched much on BBC One.

Last edited:

EEisdying

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Fast and Furious
1627512044736.png

Japan have printed our flag wrong, can you spot the problem?

If not here's the correct version for comparison

1627512100795.png

EEisdying

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Fast and Furious

German cycling boss sent up after telling his rider to 'catch the camel drivers' (an Algerian and a Eritrean)
#