Twilight (franchise)

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Any threads going on this franchise? Any fans out there anywhere?

1625151191848.png

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Hero
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’ve only seen the first one and I just couldn’t get into it. I never saw the big appeal to be honest.

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’ve only seen the first one and I just couldn’t get into it. I never saw the big appeal to be honest.
I had seen pieces of the different movies over the years. I actually saw BREAKING DAWN: PART 1 in theaters by default when it came out. I had gone to the theater to see MY WEEK WITH MARILYN, starring Michelle Williams, but my local theater didn't get that particular movie. I saw BREAKING DOWN: PART 1 with my father's then-girlfriend and her daughter.

I found the first half of the original TWILIGHT to be horrendously slow-moving. I cannot say that I didn't like the movie overall, but I did find it very long. The acting and storytelling was good in that "for what it is" kind-of-way, but nothing stood out too much really.

I want to watch the rest of them in order. I've got a hunch the other ones will get better, or at least more entertaining.​

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
We've finally finished the five-film TWILIGHT franchise. I'd like to rank them here for you all now, and give you little tidbits as to way each movie lands where it does according to my personal tastes.

First, I'd like to say that I never saw these films when they were new and popular, so my opinions are coming solely from a viewer watching them with "new" eyes, almost a decade after the final outing was released.

From best-to-worst, here's how I'd rank the movies:​
1. BREAKING DAWN: PART 1 (2011/117 minutes)​
2. NEW MOON (2009/130 minutes)​
3. BREAKING DAWN: PART 2 (2012/115 minutes)​
4. ECLIPSE (2010/123 minutes)​
5. TWILIGHT (2008/121 minutes)​
I actually enjoyed the TWILIGHT movies overall.

My least -- and by far -- was the original. That's almost against the law: saying your least favorite in a well-loved franchise is the original film. I just found that first movie to be overlong and tedious; nothing happens for too long a time. It's not that I object long movies, but I thought the original TWILIGHT had too much padding and filler that could've been sliced and everything would've still been alright in the end. Kristin Stewart and Robert Pattinson, while playing "iconic" and fan favorite characters, seem to have little-to-no chemistry together.

I instantly liked the second movie in the series, subtitled NEW MOON, especially when Taylor Lautner got rid of his terrible wig. I also really like how the second movie deals a lot with Bella's relationship with Jacob. I've always been Team Jacob, despite that character's jerkier moves throughout the franchise. I think that Bella looks happier with Jacob than she every has with Edward. Bella and Edward are too somber and depressing and they don't smile a whole lot together. Their relationship just seems a little too forced for my preference.

ECLIPSE (the third in the series) was a good movie, but it was a little drab. I did like how Edward and Jacob were at least attempting to pull their forces together to protect their mutual interest: Bella. That is always something interesting to explore: two differing sides finding some common ground where they can bring down the "dark" side.

The final two movies, subtitled BREAKING DAWN: PART 1 and BREAKING DAWN: PART 2, could be easily watched as one giant movie. I've actually had the idea of doing just that one of these days. Visually, I'd say these final two films are the best-looking outings in the franchise. I'd argue that the acting and storytelling is also a smidge better than what the first three movies dished out. Kristin Stewart is definitely her most physically attractive as Bella in these final chapters.

BREAKING DAWN: PART 1 is my favorite of the franchise. I like that Edward and Bella are finally married and therefore able to be together, even if they still seem awkward around one another. Throughout the entire wedding ceremony Bella looks constipated and like she realizes she is making the biggest mistake of her life. And then... as luck would have it... Jacob shows up and Bella instantly has a smile on her face. She laughs and giggles with him while Edward eases himself back to the reception.

Wait... what?

Bella appears happier with Jacob? Yeah, she looks happier with Jacob. Now I know that Jacob did some jerky things throughout the movies (like not having the slightest interest that Edward would die), but I honestly thought Bella would've been happier with him. Edward was drab and too dark, and not in a mysterious way... but in a weird way.

BREAKING DAWN: PART 2 was a good finale, but I laughed every single time they showed us Edward and Bella's computer-generated baby. It was an obvious fake. I understand that I real child would've been hard to cast, but I think more attention could've been used in that area (at least the baby wasn't around too long before the child started aging).

My biggest issues with the TWILIGHT series are: 1) Kristin Stewart as Bella. I found her irritating and whiny. Her physical attractiveness leads me to wonder why in the world two good-looking guys like Edward and Jacob fought for her. 2) The mere fact that Edward and Bella rarely (if ever) look happy when together. They were appealing visually, I guess so anyway, but their happiness always seemed forced and non-existent by the expression on their faces.

I'd re-watch those movies one day. I doubt I'd watch them in order again anytime soon, but I'll get around to again one of these days.

1626877890274.png

darkshadows38

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
well i have read the books i wanted to see what the big deal was? and i went in open minded to be honest, the books weren't that very well written to be honest. it was an okay series not really that awful but just okay. the way this series is written is how pathetic Belle is, sure people go nuts whenever a break up happens weather you are married to them or not? but on how bat shit crazy Belle gets over Edward Leaving is not even in the same realm of being normal. the film hints at it but the book well the book gets into her mind and she pretty much tries to commit suicide because of it, sure that's in the film but guy or woman whatever you are attracted to no normal person has that kind of reaction. nobody should rely onto someone that badly it's just not normal, it's been said that if you are dating/married to someone you need to take breaks from each other once in awhile. i'm not saying separations or breakups either i just mean a night out with the girls or the guys depending on the gender.

you spend some time away from each other you will keep your sanity and you will therefore want to be glad to see each other when you do come home. my mom was talked into reading it from the girls at work and she thought why not? so she read them and enjoyed them for what they were fluff pretty much. she did have a good laugh she said the books are pretty clean but the birth scene in the book holy shit did she go into detail her words not mine. & that is pretty funny i think too,

i read them on a dare my mom said you won't like them and that felt like a challenge and i read them all in i dunno month and a half i think? they were pretty fast reads for me. i think i read the last book in a week i think? or was it less than that? i don't remember anymore. either way me and my mom didn't really get why this series is so loved. she enjoyed it but she didn't love it and i dunno why this series was so loved but than she also didn't get it either. i have the books i dunno if i'll ever ream them again. i did buy the last one that came out a year or so ago with Edward Telling his side of it cause i was just curious what his side would say over her side. well i have read some of it but not all of it yet. i'm about #50 pages into it or not. i hope none of this came out as offensive and if it did i deeply apologize i was really trying not to piss anyone off on this post i hope i succeeded

Caproni

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've never read the TWILIGHT books, so I can't comment on them either way. I know people that's sped right through all the books because they said they were "addictive" reads. Quick reads too apparently.

I've only seen the movies. I'd say the movies are more addictive rather than good. The acting is inconsistent and leans more towards bad over good. I'd make the slight argument that the acting and storytelling got a little better... or maybe it was I have gotten more into what was going on and I just didn't continue to notice how bad it all really was. Who knows?

The weakest link to me was (and probably always will be) Kristen Stewart as Bella Swan. I literally just realized I spelled her name "Kristin" in the earlier post (maybe Kristin, Sue Ellen's devious sister, was lingering somewhere in my mind), but it makes no matter. Visually, and perhaps pettily, I don't find Stewart attractive enough to be at the center of a love triangle with Edward and Jacob. I found them too nice looking to be vying for Bella's affections. I just don't quite "get" the fuss over her.

At the same time, however, Stewart's performance and appearance as Bella is something vaguely iconic. As much as I say I don't like her, I'd feel funny seeing someone different playing Bella. I haven't the slightest idea who I'd recast Stewart with in the role. Maybe someone like Shailene Woodley... or is she too young? Shailene's two years younger than Kristen. I say it would've worked.

1626962301274.png
1626962328021.png

Last edited: