• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

UK Labour Party needs to grow a spine and stand up for workers, says union chief

Englishboy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards

I agree with her.

I have to say that I have no idea what Keir Starmer and those who are currently at the top of the Labour Party stand for.

They need to set out a positive vision of what the future would look like under a Labour Government.

They need to give people a positive reason for voting Labour rather than simply saying “vote for us because we’re not the tories”

Here’s some food for thought for them. Here are some policies I’d like to see included in the next Labour manifesto.

1) Increase the higher rate of income tax to 60 per cent (it was even at this level for most of Thatcher’s tenure for goodness sake!)

2) Increase the additional rate of income tax to 60 per cent.

3) Increase corporation tax to 30 per cent.

4) Use the extra tax revenue generated in points 1) to 3) above to fund increased spending on public services.

5) Enact legislation for trade union recognition.

6) Introduce a bill of workers’ rights.

7) Outlaw the use of zero hours contracts.

8) Increase the minimum wage to £15 per hour and legislate so that this applies to ALL workers irrespective of their age cohort or employment status (ie to include self employed contractors)

9) Renationalise the obscene energy and utility companies.

10) Renationalise the railways.

11) Roll out an affordable London style bus service to ALL parts of the UK.

12) Introduce propaganda prohibition laws so that the rules of political neutrality and balance which the tv news channels are subject to apply equally to the print media (ie newspapers)

13) Ban foreign nationals including Murdoch from owning UK media outlets.

14) Invest in cleaner, greener and ultimately cheaper renewable energies.

Last edited:

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sharon Graham is absolutely correct, Keir Stamer needs to remember he leads the Labour Party and not the Tory Lite Party.

I agree with her.

I have to say that I have no idea what Keir Starmer and those who are currently at the top of the Labour Party stand for.

They need to set out a positive vision of what the future would look like under a Labour Government.

They need to give people a positive reason for voting Labour rather than simply saying “vote for us because we’re not the tories”

Here’s some food for thought for them. Here are some policies I’d like to see included in the next Labour manifesto.

1) Increase the higher rate of income tax to 60 per cent (it was even at this level for most of Thatcher’s tenure for goodness sake!)

2) Increase the additional rate of income tax to 60 per cent.

3) Increase corporation tax to 30 per cent.

4) Use the extra tax revenue generated in points 1) to 3) above to fund increased spending on public services.

5) Enact legislation for trade union recognition.

6) Introduce a bill of workers’ rights.

7) Outlaw the use of zero hours contracts.

8) Increase the minimum wage to £15 per hour and legislate so that this applies to ALL workers irrespective of their age cohort or employment status (ie to include self employed contractors)

9) Renationalise the obscene energy and utility companies.

10) Renationalise the railways.

11) Roll out an affordable London style bus service to ALL parts of the UK.

12) Introduce propaganda prohibition laws so that the rules of political neutrality and balance which the tv news channels are subject to apply equally to the print media (ie newspapers)

13) Ban foreign nationals including Murdoch from owning UK media outlets.

14) Invest in cleaner, greener and ultimately cheaper renewable energies.
Can't disagree with any of these.