Val's House - a haven for psychos and madness?

stevew

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've always wondered how many rooms the house had: when Gary and Val moved in, only the two lived there. In seasons 6 and 7 a total of 7 (!) People lived there: Val, Ben, Betsy, Bobby, Lilimae, Joshua, Cathy.
Val and Ben = 1 room

Betsy and Bobby could have shared, they were young and it’s not uncommon = possibly just one room

Lilimae = 1 room

Forgive me I didn’t watch it like I did Dallas, would Joshua and Cathy have shared a room? If yes that’s only 4 bedrooms. I’m sure the house was 4 bedrooms. It could have been 5, doubtful but possible.

Though only Gary and Val lived there to start I’m sure 1 bedroom was set up for Lucy, hoping there daughter wouldn’t know that she always had a place and I’m sure 1 bedroom was for a guest room like in hopes Miss Ellie would visit. That’s at least 3 bedrooms but I’d guess looking at it, it’s really a 4 bedroom house, thus 2 guest bedrooms from the start.

Grant Jennings

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The actual houses on Crystalaire Place.
16966/Val: 2,740 square feet, 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms.
16972/Karen: 2,680 square feet, 5 bedrooms (one on first floor) and 3 bathrooms.
16975/Laura: originally 2,880 square feet, 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. With additions (after Knots Landing filmed): 3,519 square feet, 5 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. The additions consist of a sunroom across the back of the house and a master suite at the back corner of the first floor on the garage side of the house.
16969/Abby: 5 bedrooms (one on first floor), 3 bathrooms. This house and 16972 are the same floor plan with different facades.
16961/Ginger: 2,106 square feet, 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

Daniel Avery

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Titanic 2: The Revenge
I know what you mean, though. Even with enough bedrooms, people don't live in those spaces.
Having grown up in 1970's tract housing (not in California, but still...) I will point out that in those days, bedrooms were small in comparison to today. My childhood bedroom (of the three in the house) barely had room for a twin bed and a desk. Bedrooms were not seen as "sanctuaries" like they are today. In modern home construction, the walk-in closets would be around the size of my childhood bedroom. The sets for the bedrooms at 16966 were obviously much larger (for TV purposes) but if such a living arrangement (the Gibsons, the Rushes, Lilimae and the twins) had been occurring in real life, the cramped quarters would have been a recurring topic in everyday conversation. I can't picture newlyweds Joshua and Cathy fighting over a 6x6 closet for both their wardrobes, and who would get a wink of sleep in a house that has two newlywed couples and two toddlers in it?

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And I agree it’s just a rationalization, but maybe some truth to it, especially looking at all the stuff posted in this tread. Tough to be fair the South Fork attracted it’s share of trouble and Lucy was no safer it would seem.
At SF there were two shootings, a fire, a terrorist break in and Miss Ellie was kidnapped by Jessica.
At Valene's house there was a hostage situation, Jean Hackney, Joshua, Jill, and Valene herself(she killed those poor hermit crabs). Plus her parents kept getting divorced.
I think Lucy was safe at Southfork.

stevew

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
At SF there were two shootings, a fire, a terrorist break in and Miss Ellie was kidnapped by Jessica.
At Valene's house there was a hostage situation, Jean Hackney, Joshua, Jill, and Valene herself(she killed those poor hermit crabs). Plus her parents kept getting divorced.
I think Lucy was safe at Southfork.
Doing JR's justifying - nice work. Lets go with that. Lucy was safer at SF. :NI: