Watching The Bold and the Beautiful from the beginning!

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But I mean they are airing it from the beginning. The DVD sets only have 25 episodes per DVD. There are hundreds of episodes from 1987 alone.

I downloaded videoclips from a site a number of years ago that is no longer up and running. I saved many of them on a cloud. I watched the 1987 episodes back then.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I watched the first episode of THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL on YouTube today during my lunch break. I thought it was a pretty good initiation to the soap. I was kind of surprised that Stephanie wasn't introduced right off, but that's primarily because in my mind, B&B and Stephanie Forrester are synonymous.

Looks like their building up some obvious tension between Ridge and his father Eric, and naturally Ridge is going to marry Caroline Spencer despite her father's objections. I'm looking forward to making my way through at least a few of these early episodes. I honestly don't know how much I'll get watched owing to me busy schedule, but I'll come back as I get some in the can.​

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think the character I’m enjoying watching the most so far is Bill Spencer, Sr. He’s just so cold yet so likable at the same time. Any scene he’s in is a must watch for me. I’m trying to hate this guy but I just can’t.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The actor who played Bill (Jim Storm) was involved in one of the most famous recasts in soap history on One Life to Live. When JS decided to leave the role of Dr. Larry Wolek, the show had Larry involved in a fire. When Larry's bandages came off, he was being played by Michael Storm, Jim's brother. Jim Storm also played Neil Fenmore, Lauren's father, on Y&R for a while though I don't recall his being a major role.

I think it was a smart move to hold off on introducing Stephanie immediately. In a premiere, you are bombarded with all new characters and settings, and all that exposition will make a new viewer lose track. Giving Stephanie a less hectic introduction allowed the viewer to "absorb" her character better, much like being "fashionably late" to a party in order to make a grander, more memorable entrance.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was surprised at how they held off on Stephanie a little in the beginning but I did enjoy that part. It made her entrance feel more special. But now you can see the character starting to hit its groove. Her scenes with Margo are reminding me a little of her and Brooke. You can just feel that natural tension between them.

Mrs Bobby James Ewing

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I am really enjoying watching the 1987 episodes of The Bold and the Beautiful on YouTube. :)They are so much better written then the current episodes airing on CBS. :) I love how writers are slowly introducing the individual characters and their backgrounds to the audience and I especially love that the old episodes aren’t full of flashbacks from a previous episode that we just saw three or four days ago.;)

Last edited:

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The first six to eight months of a new soap are usually very enjoyable because the writers have been crafting the plotlines and spending a lot of time sharpening the scripts. They've had more time than they ever will again to put "finishing touches" on things. After that opening period, they'll be churning out scripts and filming things as fast as possible and corners get cut.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The first six to eight months of a new soap are usually very enjoyable because the writers have been crafting the plotlines and spending a lot of time sharpening the scripts. They've had more time than they ever will again to put "finishing touches" on things. After that opening period, they'll be churning out scripts and filming things as fast as possible and corners get cut.

The writers got months to prepare new well-thought out storylines when all 4 soaps were on a covid-19 break too. Apparently, they didn't spend the time well. Nothing creative came of it.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Those involved in the shutdown were "out of work" during that period (not being paid to do their jobs), so they most likely weren't spending lockdown polishing scripts at home. I mean, if I'm not getting paid, I'm not going to spend my free time doing free work for my employer. if I were asked to, I'd tell them to call my union rep and have them explain the wages-for-work concept. ;)

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Those involved in the shutdown were "out of work" during that period (not being paid to do their jobs), so they most likely weren't spending lockdown polishing scripts at home. I mean, if I'm not getting paid, I'm not going to spend my free time doing free work for my employer. if I were asked to, I'd tell them to call my union rep and have them explain the wages-for-work concept. ;)

Some of us aren't like that. I gather ideas of what to do with my pupils whenever and wherever. Even if it's 3 at night. Whenever a good idea pops up...

B&B should have improved during lockdown considering Brad Bell is his own boss. It's very much in his best interest to make B&B better. But when the post-lockdown episodes began airing, it was same old same old. Even extremely sloppy and rushed storylines like Steffy's addiction and instant love story with Finn. Instant weird obsession with Zoe & Zende that fizzled out into nothing. Thomas taking obsession to a new level and then miraculously cured with a brain surgery. Ridge & Shauna quickie drunk Vegas wedding that went absolutely nowhere. Steffy & Liam one night stand and paternity test fiasco that ended with status quo, no new direction.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
B&B should have improved during lockdown considering Brad Bell is his own boss. It's very much in his best interest to make B&B better
I agree that things should’ve improved during the lockdown but I think the odds of this happening were very long. It was still the same people writing the same show for the same mostly bland characters. Sadly, all we were going to get was a continuation of the status quo once they came back.

ChrisSumner

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Are yall still watching this? They responded to feedback and now are uploading 3 episodes a day 5 days a week instead of 5 episodes a week. So far they're through August 1987. I'm in June and I'm loving it. I heard the early years were boring, but there is a lot of interesting stuff going on. The Logan family overall is the weakest part of the show, but there's enough to keep me interested. The sets are also amazing and so big and well lit. It's crazy to see how much they've been shrunk down in the current episodes. The show feels so expensive in these early days.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I’ve been binge watching them on the weekend when I have time. I’m up to July 6 and I think this show was absolutely amazing in the beginning!!

I do love the Logans but I don’t like the episodes where they are the focus. I prefer it when them and the Forresters are both featured. Of course with a half hour show I’m sure this wasn’t easy in the beginning.

I do notice now as the show goes on the worlds of the two families are intersecting more and more and I like that. I like how things are really starting to take off and we see the characters slowly becoming what we know them to be.

kcmimichar

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Chinatown
I’ve been binge watching them on the weekend when I have time. I’m up to July 6 and I think this show was absolutely amazing in the beginning!!

I do love the Logans but I don’t like the episodes where they are the focus. I prefer it when them and the Forresters are both featured. Of course with a half hour show I’m sure this wasn’t easy in the beginning.

I do notice now as the show goes on the worlds of the two families are intersecting more and more and I like that. I like how things are really starting to take off and we see the characters slowly becoming what we know them to be.
Believe me, it only gets better. The show was on fire then. You actually cared about what happened and there were multiple storylines going on.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I am still re-watching when I can. I have made it to around the end of April 1987, but this is my third viewing of these episodes. I wanted to go back to the start again. I am glad that they have upped the amount of episodes they are uploading daily. It's much better that way. I can't wait to get up to the point I left off at. I think the 100th episode.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Any word yet if we will get 1988? I am addicted to 1987 B&B and am all caught up. I’m really enjoying seeing these episodes. I’m just a little sad that after a few more episodes it will be all over. I really hope they keep going with this!!

ChrisSumner

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Any word yet if we will get 1988? I am addicted to 1987 B&B and am all caught up. I’m really enjoying seeing these episodes. I’m just a little sad that after a few more episodes it will be all over. I really hope they keep going with this!!
They've committed to uploading the entire series. Right now I believe they're in February of 1988 with the uploads. I'm at the beginning of December, so I'm trying to slow down a bit so I'm not fully caught up. The good thing is, they're uploading around 10-12 episodes a week so it's going pretty fast.

One thing I'll say is having recently binged what is available for Y&R around the same time period, this is much better. It's crazy because this is the time period where Y&R went to #1, but it had a lot of filler. I know Bill Bell hated making the show an hour and you can tell with B&B that he's in his sweet spot. I love how even though you have certain story elements that take a long time to develop, they rotate the main focus pretty regularly so the entire cast is doing something and it never feels slow.

A big shock to me is how aggressive Brooke is in her pursuit of Ridge. I was under the impression that they met by coincidence and he pursued her. She is relentless and the fact that Caroline was such a good friend to her makes it even worse. This is a very delicious tight rope and I can't wait for the explosion when Brooke and Ridge get together. Even in the early days the chemistry between Susan Flannery and Katherine Kelly Lang is GOOD. Susan Flannery is a key component to elevating the show and she adds so much subtext to every scene she's in. I just want more and more of her. I didn't realize how much I missed her until I started these early episodes.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They've committed to uploading the entire series. Right now I believe they're in February of 1988 with the uploads
Thank you! I actually did end up finding the 1988 episodes as well so I was pleasantly surprised that they continued on. I’m in mid-February right now and almost caught up.

I love how even though you have certain story elements that take a long time to develop, they rotate the main focus pretty regularly so the entire cast is doing something and it never feels slow
I used to hate the idea of only a 30 minute show because it felt like we weren’t getting enough. But in reality because of the faster pacing perhaps we got more that way. I’m amazed at how the entire cast gets something to do. It feels like no one is left out, even if you don’t see them for a couple of episodes.

A big shock to me is how aggressive Brooke is in her pursuit of Ridge. I was under the impression that they met by coincidence and he pursued her. She is relentless and the fact that Caroline was such a good friend to her makes it even worse
I’m not finding Brooke very likable, which surprises me cause I thought I would in these early episodes. I loved her friendship with Caroline but she sure ruined that.

. Even in the early days the chemistry between Susan Flannery and Katherine Kelly Lang is GOOD
I love their scenes! You can just feel the tension whenever they’re in the same room together. Even when neither are saying anything, the looks they give each other alone convey the disdain and mistrust.

. Susan Flannery is a key component to elevating the show and she adds so much subtext to every scene she's in
As much as I enjoy watching these old episodes, it can also be a very sad reminder of what once was and could never be again. B&B without Stephanie is just not the same show for me.