What titles are in your Netflix/Amazon etc list?

J. R.'s Piece

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
3CC4B88B-0F50-48E1-966F-3EB4A7F00A45.png

Canon

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Lucky you! I wish I could see it for the first time again.

Having finished The Americans, I join you now in wishing I could watch it all again for the first time. Who knew a show about Russian spies would turn out to be a show about deeply complicated and moving relationships. God, I loved it.

20210207_134047.jpg

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Servant, season 2. I'm at episode 6.

Loving it very much. I can't wait, each week, to get a new episode. They got me addicted.

Crimson

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Servant, season 2. I'm at episode 6

I find Shyamalan's movies to be more miss than hit so I was skeptical about this one; halfway through season one, and it's been pretty strong so far. Very atmospheric and weird (in a good way). I've only recently signed up for Apple + and I've been alternating between SERVANT and THE MORNING SHOW.

Ukdallasfan

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Tonight we watched Dark Waters with Mark Ruffalo, Anne Hathaway and Bill Pullman. It was an excellent depiction of the real life class law suit against Du Pont who manufactured Teflon but were happy to poison people and animals near their plant with toxic chemical waste. Massively enjoyable as well as informative. I won’t be able to look at my non- stick pans in the same way again :)

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I find Shyamalan's movies to be more miss than hit so I was skeptical about this one; halfway through season one, and it's been pretty strong so far. Very atmospheric and weird (in a good way). I've only recently signed up for Apple + and I've been alternating between SERVANT and THE MORNING SHOW.

I agree. Shyamalan is able to do good movies (early movies) and really disappointing ones. Split was a good surprise, then Glass was mediocre.

Brian Kinney

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wish I hadn't seen Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo. A series based on Germany's most famous child prostitute/ drug addict Christiane F. based on her interviews for 'Stern' magazine that also resulted in a book (1979) and a film in 1981 (Christiane F. - Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo).

The series extends the stories of the young teenagers who slide into drug addiction (heroin) and prostitution but adds nothing that deserves an 8-part Amazon Prime series. It fails on many levels, most of all casting and music.

The father of Christiane looks as if he's a younger brother. The shocking thing about Christiane F. for the public was her young age. The film hired teen actors but the series has only actors in their 20's to play 14-16 year old teens.

In a club techno music is used in one scene which is an extreme anachronism (electronic music of 1976-79 must have been Tangerine Dream or similar). They didn't forget to include David Bowie played by Alexander Scheer, last seen as the drug addicted writer in Sløborn who looks more as Babylon Berlin's actor Sabin Tambrea trying to look like Bowie. Someone meets him in a toilet after a concert. A far cry from Bowie's real concert appearance in the 1981 film. I've skipped a lot.

thomaswak

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've just finished Servant season 2. And I just can't wait to watch season 3.
The season finale was good and of course we have more questions than answers. But at least I think we have a real idea of what's Leanne's motivations, and that she has abilities that can go full "Carrie"... Anyway, this season was more fascinating than season 1 and I want to rewatch it now lol

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I thought we had a thread dedicated to what we last watched on Netflix. This must be what I was thinking off.

We did two movies over the weekend.

My Best Friend Anne Frank

F745B88E-8D99-46E7-872A-0BC2FC1E8420.jpeg

A grim account of the real-life relationship between Anne Frank and Hannah Goslar. As always with anything relating to the horrors of what happened, it was a hard watch, but I felt somewhat happy in the knowledge Hannah is still alive today. It was an gripping insight into the world of Anne Frank from her best friend’s perspective.

09A7E119-300C-40EF-965C-5E2656C249AB.jpeg

The second movie was Sandra Bullock’s The Unforgivable.

80F84F74-B1A7-4988-927F-0D2EEEDC0D07.jpeg

It was okay, a sad tale of one woman’s struggle trying to connect with her young sister after a stretch of 20 years inside for murder. Some nice twists and while I wouldn’t say it was gripping, it kept my interest right through.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Curiously, upon my return to netflix, the first thing I watched wasn't OZARK but a computer animated fairy tale in 10 parts (30 min. per episode).
It's like a Pixar version of Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events. I think I'd watch a second series.

Edit: oh yeah, those talking stars are super creepy.

Last edited:

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've gotten back into Netflix recently (just as everyone else is bailing out, it seems). I loved Top Boy, and the Jimmy Saville doc was grimly compelling. I'm up to speed with Better Call Saul which is very good, but not as accessible as Ozark: watched the first episode and a half of the most recent half-season (or whatever it is) last night and it was just .... great.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
just as everyone else is bailing out, it seems
Many dutchflixers have hopped over to the recently introduced HBO Max and somehow that made netflix just a little bit more attractive.
I had planned to have an early night - well, "early" by my standards anyway - but I clicked* on the thriller mini-series Midnight Mass and now I'm afraid that this combination of a small community on an isolated fisherman's island and a Neil Diamond soundtrack is going to put that early night in serious jeopardy.

*click & watch is going to be my new netflix mantra. No more overthinking and no more checking IMDB to assure or discourage me.
The story has a muslim sheriff and I can imagine all the "PC/woke nonsense!" comments so I don't have to go there and read it.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1651927558608.png

A BBC TWO production.
I understand that not every British series can be a winner but this....
To give it the benefit of the doubt, let's ignore the cliché premise of powerful Asian clan wars and their tit for tat shenanigans, and also the Detective who's compromised his work ethics in order to save his younger brother who sort of accidentally got involved with criminal activities.

The problem is that this is one of those "streamingfied" alternative realities where no cultural identities can exist.
The story takes place in London and Tokyo but if feels as is everything is happening in New York.
I also understand that Asian culture and language are difficult to translate to western audiences, not because of the culture and language themselves, but because of the way it's experienced and expressed by native Asians.
Some leeway has to be allowed for it to make sense in a western production, but GIRI/HAJI takes it to extremes.

And then there's the London characters, with their "streaming" English expressions and the cringe-making delivery thereof.
Kelly Macdonald's performance is probably the most extreme example. She does that kind of apology-humour i.e. saying something inappropriate and then fake-apologizing for it which is supposed to be funnier than the inappropriate comment itself, and it's exactly that international modern slickness that undermines the credibility of the script and character.
She also does the on cue facial expressions for every line or thought which, at least to me, seems to be the complete opposite of British acting.

I had hoped for a Line Of Duty meets McMafia, but instead I got a McNetflix where everybody speaks in exactly the same tongue.
There's not much fun in posting negative reviews but I had to get it out of my system and tell the internet how shockingly disappointing this series is, especially since the mix (or clash) of these different cultures could have made it very special.

The most convincing performances are by American (!) actor Justin Long and by a Japanese actor who plays a hacker with a fetish for masturbation-in-public. Asian people are notorious pranksters therefore that scene made perfect sense to me.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
View attachment 37749
A BBC TWO production.
I understand that not every British series can be a winner but this....
To give it the benefit of the doubt, let's ignore the cliché premise of powerful Asian clan wars and their tit for tat shenanigans, and also the Detective who's compromised his work ethics in order to save his younger brother who sort of accidentally got involved with criminal activities.

The problem is that this is one of those "streamingfied" alternative realities where no cultural identities can exist.
The story takes place in London and Tokyo but if feels as is everything is happening in New York.
I also understand that Asian culture and language are difficult to translate to western audiences, not because of the culture and language themselves, but because of the way it's experienced and expressed by native Asians.
Some leeway has to be allowed for it to make sense in a western production, but GIRI/HAJI takes it to extremes.

And then there's the London characters, with their "streaming" English expressions and the cringe-making delivery thereof.
Kelly Macdonald's performance is probably the most extreme example. She does that kind of apology-humour i.e. saying something inappropriate and then fake-apologizing for it which is supposed to be funnier than the inappropriate comment itself, and it's exactly that international modern slickness that undermines the credibility of the script and character.
She also does the on cue facial expressions for every line or thought which, at least to me, seems to be the complete opposite of British acting.

I had hoped for a Line Of Duty meets McMafia, but instead I got a McNetflix where everybody speaks in exactly the same tongue.
There's not much fun in posting negative reviews but I had to get it out of my system and tell the internet how shockingly disappointing this series is, especially since the mix (or clash) of these different cultures could have made it very special.

The most convincing performances are by American (!) actor Justin Long and by a Japanese actor who plays a hacker with a fetish for masturbation-in-public. Asian people are notorious pranksters therefore that scene made perfect sense to me.

I really liked it.

In fact, I think I recommended it to you, didn't I?

Sorry about that.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
So excited to find season 4 of FARGO on prime, and they didn't even advertise it. They do think I should watch THE FAST & THE FURIOUS #28 which is exactly the kind of movie I don't want to see.
But anyway, I'm currently on episode 5 and even though it's not as marvellous as the first two seasons it's definitely a step-up from the frustrating, hard-to-watch third season.
I'm a sucker for American period dramas because everything looks so gorgeous and grotesque and the same time.
One of the lead actors is the man who got slapped by Will Smith in THE OSCAR.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
I just realised I don't watch that many tv shows on Netflix. It's more like docu-stuff. The only one I am currently watching is Nu-Dynasty.
Oh this didn't last very long at all...