What was the last book you read?

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Room 222: Whatever Happened to Mavis Rooster?
Room 222: Monday Morning Father
A pair of TV tie-in novels based on the late 60s-early 70s dramedy which was quite groundbreaking for its time. One of the first with a black lead, in a high school setting where they explored some if the social issues of the day.
Author William Johnston captures the show's tone and character's voices very well.

darkshadows38

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Blindsided (2001) Karin Slaughter
Kisscut (2002) Karin Slaughter two damn good books

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And What Do You Do? What The Royal Family Don't Want You To Know by Norman Baker

After seeing the obscene extravagance of the recent coronation and the enormous cost of it to the public, I was prompted to read this book which describes some of the the ridiculous and mind blowing expense of the monarchy. It is a well written and entertaining book and not an anti-royal rant. Every pro-royalist argument is skilfully demolished as the author shows us what the monarchy really is about: free-loaders and hypocrites of the highest order who really don't do very much to justify the vast sums of money they get from taxpayers.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Vendetta for the Saint (The Saint #37)
The first book in the series not written by Leslie Charteris. Apparently the real author was the noted science fiction writer Harry Harrison but his name is nowhere on the copy I have.
I probably would not have picked up on it if I hadn't known going in, but there does seem a slight change in style. Harrison makes a good fist of it but doesn't quite match Charteris's playful use of language,

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson
This is another of Stevenson's adventure novels set against elements of Scottish history. It turns out that the Black Arrow is a sort of Scottish Robin Hood, but oddly not the main character in the book.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Murder By Tradition by Katherine V. Forrest (Kate Delafield #4)
Onto the fourth entry, this has taken on the aspect of a semiserial: The cases are complete in each book but the saga of Kate's personal life is ongoing, with an increasing entourage of continuing characters.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A Fire on the Moon by Norman Mailer (1970)
An account of the Apollo 11 moon mission overlaid with a philosophical treatise on the Meaning of it all.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Saint on TV (The Saint #38)
When they ran out of Charteris's books to adapt for TV, they started adapting TV episodes as books.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's That- Colin Broderick. True story of the author's life growing up in Northern Ireland in thev1970s-80s. Very good book. Poignant, but not as depressing as I thought it might be.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Finished yet another Jørn Lier Horst murder mystery novel (When the Sea Calms). I've soon read or listened to 16 of the current 17 released novels in the William Wisting series. I just started on The Only One, and will then go on to number 17.

When I find an author I like, I loyally stick by them. Horst has become one of my favourite crime authors. After Bo Balderson, Agatha Christie, Arthur Conan Doyle, Sjöwall/Wahlöö, Arnaldur Indriđason, Stieg Larsson and Dorothy L Sayers.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Overboard by Sara Paretsky (V.I. Warshawski #21)
V.I. in the age of Covid.

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Dead Yard- Adrian McKinty.
#2 in Michael Forsythe trilogy.

and The Bloomsday Dead-Adrian McKinty
#3 in Michael Forsythe trilogy.

Couldn't put them down:)

Last edited:

Jimmy Todd

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes.... kinda creepy... :confused:

"Life Means Life" by Nick Appleyard is a good True Crime book.... also, S.C. Lomax wrote an interesting narrative on "Jeremy Bamber" in the book of the same name as did Roger Wilkes in the book "Blood Relations". :)

How about Autobiographies....?

Anyone enjoy reading those ? o_O
I posted earlier that I read That's That by Colin Broderick. It's an autobiography of his growing up in Northern Ireland in the 1970s and 1980s. I just read his next book, Orangutan. This is his story of living in NYC, the Bronx specifically, in the late 1980s, 1990s and 2000s.
It's very captivating as he navigates adapting to America, becoming a writer, and battling a serious addiction problem. He abused so much alcohol and drugs It's a miracle he's still alive.
Great book, even if some parts are a tad hard to believe.

Last edited:

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Leopard by Giuseppe di Lampedusa
Historical novel about a Sicilian nobleman watching his way of life die around him against the backdrop of Italian unification.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Liberty Square by Katherine V. Forrest (Kate Delafield #5)
This entry is somewhat different from the previous books in the series. It's still basically a murder mystery but with Kate and her girlfriend in Washington DC for a reunion of Kate's fellow Vietnam vets, she is outside her Los Angeles jurisdiction and herself becomes a possible target and suspect.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Champion
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The Mystery That Never Was by Enid Blyton
I used to like Enid Blyton when I was kid so I thought I'd try to catch up on some of the ones I missed then.