What went wrong -- and right -- with DALLAS?

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
Absolutely! And by placing the "Dream Scenario" on Pam just weakened her character straight out of the box. Victoria was one smart cookie. Although her television career never reached the dizzying heights of Dallas she did find success with Principle Secret. It would appear she was attuned to those behind the scenes flash of egos and in hindsight, left at the appropriate time.

Anything the character Bobby touched after this point had nothing on Pam. They stood in her shadow. I find it interesting a character that was last dealt with in 1988 (when Margaret Michaels appears) suddenly is resurrected in TNT Dallas, 25 years later. Proves how popular the character was with fans (even after all this time) and how they desperately clung to the hope Pam would return.
If the old show hadn't almost ignored her absence, it would have had an easier time surviving that absence.

Jock's Ghost

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Fantastic write up! Bobbys return and pams exit did the most damage. If they could wrote him out to where he just leaves town. caused by a tragic events- pam marries mark and Christopher dies of childhood cancer heartbroken, he leaves town. He sends a message to Miss Ellie explaining why he left.....
he comes back in S10 . Mark has died from his blood disease and Bobby and Pam reconcile. Katherine returns and kills Pam.
Shakespeare THE F out of it.
Is that not better? No mess to clean up.
Jeremy Wendell should have been introduced earlier forcing Barnes and Ewings to ally against him.

Jock's Ghost

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And now.... S8 with Lucy and yet another lousy luck with men storyline. Has there ever been a show to express so much contempt for one of its own? Rich girl works in a shitty diner... how compelling.
The posion dwarf gets dumped on again.

Last edited:

Jock's Ghost

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And now.... S8 with Lucy and yet another lousy luck with men storyline. Has there ever been a show to express so much contempt for one of its own? Rich girl works in a shitty diner... how compelling.
The posion dwarf gets dumped on again.
S8 by the start of Jennas trial, Patrick appears very bored despite having a juicy storyline.

Jock's Ghost

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
@Jock’s Ghost now what did Clayton do to annoy you?
Show up. Such a useless bore. He's what i call an obstacle character. Provide contrived drama for the Ewings.
S8 episode Ewing brothers ask for his help in preventing Barnes from getting ahold of Ewing Oil and he turns them down and lectures JR. Idiot.

Last edited:

Jock's Ghost

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
The thing that still gets me when watching Bobby's death scene is Pam's (Victoria's) reaction when he flat-lines. Her jolt is the punctuation mark of Bobby's death and everything that was so good about Dallas and why it was at the top of its game. The carefully constructed scene in the lead up to Bobby's death was on full display. Jack, Jamie and Cliff learning of the horrible circumstances. Cliff's reaction when he learns the incident occurred at Pam's home. "All that wasted time. We should have been married," says Bobby as he lies there facing Pam and Jenna.

More importantly we had the main characters there, J.R., Clayton, Miss Ellie (despite my objections to Donna Reed), Donna and Ray. But for the drama to follow the next season the writers cleverly left out Sue Ellen.
Patrick was so good too. His speech is a little slurred so it sounds like real brain damage happening and he tells everyone good bye. Solid stuff. Im about 5 episodes away to watch again. Hagman gets a tear out, "bobby... dont leave me."
If they had just built on that. Either dont make Bobbys exit so permanent or tell Hagman he's insane and cram his idea of bringing bobby back.
I remember reading a Magazine that had all the alternatives to how Bobby was back. One was he wasnt dead. Hes being rolled out and his eyes flicker and hes taken away somewhere to recover, tropical island hospital as he could barely walk or talk
Now the ethics of not telling a family their beloved is still alive is another matter. Lol . BUT
It would have sufficed. Wouldn't have been such a poke in the eyes.

Jock's Ghost

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Too bad they didn't build on that great death scene. I still say they should have worked it to where Windell was responsible. JR spends the rest of the series bringing Windell down. Taking over WESTSTAR... JR and Cliff teaming up to stop him.

TheDeadBobby

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Groundhog Day
Bringing back Bobby hurt the show more for me than killing him off did. The credibility of the show washed down the drain in that shower scene for me.
Pretty much for me too. How could all those intricate scenes that Pam wasn't even part of be part of a one night dream? Who came up with that idea? They should have been fired . There just wasn't any way to bring him back and keep the show credible. Well, that's Hollywood for you. :crazy:

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
Pretty much for me too. How could all those intricate scenes that Pam wasn't even part of be part of a one night dream? Who came up with that idea? They should have been fired . There just wasn't any way to bring him back and keep the show credible. Well, that's Hollywood for you. :crazy:

They had to use the Federal Witness Protection Program explanation. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's the only available scenario which, technically, could happen. And it would take only one episode to break it all down for the audience.

But if they had to use the dream explanation, it needed to be Bobby's dream since he was the one that flatlined and went all comatose and whatever.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
They had to use the Federal Witness Protection Program explanation. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's the only available scenario which, technically, could happen.
I like this. It’s not perfect but no explanation is. I like it over the dream. And it is plausible. You could even use his connection to solving Jenna’s case and bringing Naldo’s real murderer to justice. The guy was a paid hitman who could’ve had serious friends.

Monzo

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
I think the reason for this "what went wrong" discussion is that Dallas has been doing everything right for so long. It's rare that shows are great for multiple seasons, and when that happens you're kind of used to it. Yes, it was sad when Dallas started to fade in writing, but other soaps faded much sooner.