When Did Miss Ellie Start Driving?

Sarah Danner

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
For the first bunch of years of the show, Miss Ellie would either bum a ride from somebody at Southfork or take a taxi.
All of a sudden (at some point I can't land on for sure) she was scooting around in that white car with the EWING1 plate.
Was there a landmark episode that I missed where she at last got her own car or did it just get phased in at some point with no fanfare?

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Speaking as someone who grew up in a rural area, it's practically a necessity for everyone to know how to drive if they are going to get anywhere, get anything done, etc. It would have been even more important in the era in which Miss Ellie grew up and became a young mother and Jock was likely away on business. It was an important piece of individual freedom (that is, freedom of movement) and I can't imagine her settling for being homebound and unable to pick up and go someplace when needed. As they got richer she may have relied more on ranch-hands* driving her where she needed to go and thus got "out of practice" so she opted to drive only on the property in her cute little convertible in later years.

* I can picture a sweet lady like her being surrounded by ranch hands and others competing for the chance to do things for her. It's how we are raised in the South to respect and care for our elders to an enthusiastic degree. It's part of the reason we address older women as "Miss_____" because we value all ladies of a certain age as on par with our mothers, and our actions are often a proxy for how we hope other Southern men will come to the aid of our own mothers if we are unable to. Also, if you fail to be helpful to such a lady, you will definitely hear about it soon enough and get a dressing-down from your real mother. You might even have your Southern Card revoked!

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think Season 10 was the first time I noticed she was driving.

Her not driving seemed so pointed in the first half of the series, so it was a bit of a shock when we finally saw her behind the wheel -- although her little bug was indeed adorable. I always saw her not driving, too, as a southern gracious-lady-of-position kind of thing; my maternal grandmother, of whom Miss Ellie reminded me a lot, never drove either.

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
She started driving when they needed a new car to bear the much-coveted EWING1 plate. Though it seemed strange to see it on the little car and not on Jock’s Lincoln. Oh well, time marches on.

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When she figured out driving was the more efficient way to murder people.

But don't tell Angela Lansbury!