Which other 80s US prime time soaps have you seen?

Which other 80s US prime time soaps have you seen?

• Total voters

Jock Og

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
IMHO season 10 (as per the DVD numbering) was the last great year for DALLAS. All of the original core cast were still on board, except for Charlene Tilton who returned in the twilight years. The show also got the mojo back of grit and the raw feel of the early seasons. This had diminished the previous year when there was more of a DYNASTY aura about goings on. Of course DYNASTY really put it up to DALLAS in the ratings and like the Texas show had off kilter times e.g. the Moldavian massacre and all the Carrington children changing faces. However there would have been a tremendous void as regards 80’s primetime enjoyment, if the Colorado set programme wasn’t invented.

JR goes to a rodeo that Jock’s impersonator Wes Parmalee is watching, (a scene from season 9, DVD-10, 1986-87):

JR walks past Wes.

Wes: “Hello JR!”

JR: “Well. Hello daddy! I’m glad to see you got your memory back long enough to recognise me.”

Wes: “You’ve lost some weight since I saw ya. You’re looking good.”

JR: “Well I’d like to say the same about you but since I never laid eyes on you, in my life before that would be a little difficult.”

Wes: “How did you find me?”

JR: “They told me at your motel you hung out around here. Not something the real Jock Ewing would do!”

Wes: “I’ve changed.”

JR: “Yeah, more than a little.”

Wes: “Now you’re going to tell me you don’t believe I’m your daddy either.”

JR: “Well it would be a waste of time. I came down here to ask you a question.”

Wes: “Ask ahead, I’ve got nothing to hide.”

JR: “What do you want to drop this act and get the hell out of Dallas?”

Wes laughs: “I gotta say you boys are acting true to form. Bobby came by to beat the tar outta me and you want to buy me out.”

JR: “Now I didn’t come here to discuss my family. You’re obviously a fraud, you have no fingerprints. I wouldn’t it past ya to have burnt them off yourself. There’s no way we can check your dental records and your memory comes and goes.”

Wes: “Don’t forget the voice boy.”

JR: “Yeah that’s the biggest croc of all right there. You know if you’re smart you’d take some money and get outta here.”

Wes: “Could be I’m not after money.”

JR: “Sure ya are. I can smell it. Now Bobby might be too nice to do ya any real harm but I wouldn’t find it any trouble at all to get a couple of good ole’ boys and have them run you out of town one night.”

Wes: “You know I’ve been gone so long both of you boys have forgot something about me.”

JR: “Oh!”

Wes: “Jock Ewing can’t be scared off and he can’t be bought off. Now like it or not JR your daddy’s back to stay.”

Wes looks sternly at JR and then walks off to his truck.

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
So nobody watched Emerald Point N.A.S.? I would have watched it if I had the chance, but it never happened.

I wish Morgan Fairchild's Paper Dolls character Racine would have joined Falcon Crest instead of Jordan. Maybe she could have hired Melissa and Terry as models.

Last edited:

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
IMHO season 10 (as per the DVD numbering) was the last great year for DALLAS. All of the original core cast were still on board, except for Charlene Tilton who returned in the twilight years. The show also got the mojo back of grit and the raw feel of the early seasons. This had diminished the previous year when there was more of a DYNASTY aura about goings on. Of course DYNASTY really put it up to DALLAS in the ratings and like the Texas show had off kilter times e.g. the Moldavian massacre and all the Carrington children changing faces. However there would have been a tremendous void as regards 80’s primetime enjoyment, if the Colorado set programme wasn’t invented.

JR goes to a rodeo that Jock’s impersonator Wes Parmalee is watching, (a scene from season 9, DVD-10, 1986-87):

JR walks past Wes.

Wes: “Hello JR!”

JR: “Well. Hello daddy! I’m glad to see you got your memory back long enough to recognise me.”

Wes: “You’ve lost some weight since I saw ya. You’re looking good.”

JR: “Well I’d like to say the same about you but since I never laid eyes on you, in my life before that would be a little difficult.”

Wes: “How did you find me?”

JR: “They told me at your motel you hung out around here. Not something the real Jock Ewing would do!”

Wes: “I’ve changed.”

JR: “Yeah, more than a little.”

Wes: “Now you’re going to tell me you don’t believe I’m your daddy either.”

JR: “Well it would be a waste of time. I came down here to ask you a question.”

Wes: “Ask ahead, I’ve got nothing to hide.”

JR: “What do you want to drop this act and get the hell out of Dallas?”

Wes laughs: “I gotta say you boys are acting true to form. Bobby came by to beat the tar outta me and you want to buy me out.”

JR: “Now I didn’t come here to discuss my family. You’re obviously a fraud, you have no fingerprints. I wouldn’t it past ya to have burnt them off yourself. There’s no way we can check your dental records and your memory comes and goes.”

Wes: “Don’t forget the voice boy.”

JR: “Yeah that’s the biggest croc of all right there. You know if you’re smart you’d take some money and get outta here.”

Wes: “Could be I’m not after money.”

JR: “Sure ya are. I can smell it. Now Bobby might be too nice to do ya any real harm but I wouldn’t find it any trouble at all to get a couple of good ole’ boys and have them run you out of town one night.”

Wes: “You know I’ve been gone so long both of you boys have forgot something about me.”

JR: “Oh!”

Wes: “Jock Ewing can’t be scared off and he can’t be bought off. Now like it or not JR your daddy’s back to stay.”
And DNA testing, a napkin with saliva or a glass and everything was solved.

Last edited:

Richard Denault

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Camelot
So nobody watched Emerald Point N.A.S.? I would have watched it if I had the chance, but it never happened.

I wish Morgan Fairchild's Paper Dolls character Racine would have joined Falcon Crest instead of Jordan. Maybe she could have hired Melissa and Terry as models.
If I saw it, the only thing I liked was the tune.
Sela Ward auditioned for Melissa. And also for Terry
Charles Frank later played Senator Ryder
Black and Stern wrote the scripts

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
That's interesting! I read that Sela Ward was Aaron Spellling's first choice for the role of nuFallon on Dynasty/The Colbys, but she turned him down. I thought she was just tired of prime time soaps at the time, but maybe she just didn't feel like playing a recast.

Falcon Crest I

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If I saw it, the only thing I liked was the tune.
Charles Frank later played Senator Ryder
Black and Stern wrote the scripts
Yeah the theme tune sounded good. Emerald Point was flat and boring. A bit like watching a pile of ants in the desert. I can understand why there was just a one season run.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I remember seeing a few episodes of EMERALD POINT, NAS in 1983, and while I never really got into it, I was stunned how much more natural it was compared to DYNASTY, despite the Shapiros being behind both series --- but EMERALD POINT didn't utilize the dreadful Static Acting Directive (which I've long-decided was the main destructive creative decision ever employed by DYNASTY, which had so very many destructive creative elements).

I used to know somehow who'd dated Sela Ward in college. She turned him gay and then alcoholic (which eventually killed him, the little creep).

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
I remember seeing a few episodes of EMERALD POINT, NAS in 1983, and while I never really got into it, I was stunned how much more natural it was compared to DYNASTY, despite the Shapiros being behind both series --- but EMERALD POINT didn't utilize the dreadful Static Acting Directive (which I've long-decided was the main destructive creative decision ever employed by DYNASTY, which had so very many destructive creative elements).

I used to know somehow who'd dated Sela Ward in college. She turned him gay and then alcoholic (which eventually killed him, the little creep).
You are terrible Muriel!