• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Which season would this version of the DYNASTY theme be right for?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've posted, somewhat facetiously, that the parfum commercial with Jackie Junior had the tone I vaguely envision for, say, Season 4. (Ironically, Miss Portman's new ad has her getting married at The DuCap in Antibes -- set to a Joplin song!)

Anyway, which season would you think this 'cascading strings' version of the DYNASTY theme fit?:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh that's season 5! Without a doubt! It just has to be.
That's what I thought too, it's so lush.
Except the "break part" at 0:46 (also known as the subtle "pling-plang-plong" from season 1) is a little too quiet compared to the rest of the score.
That very same (but different) break at 1:51 is exquisite (but it's really two different versions of the theme).

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Hmmm... Most people seem to feel it fits Season 5 or 6. I like to place it in DYNASTY's phantom Season 10 (which never happened) but that's probably cheating.

Zara

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Season five. The other seasons' plots don't match the theme in the video.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Nearly everybody's saying they feel it's right for Season 5, but S5 already has a slightly Christmassy arrangement that fits the winter holiday affectations of that year -- although both should have been a little intensified.

The reason I think I'd like it for S4 in that that was the early season where DYNASTY aimed for (though fell short of) a gothicky, sophisticated poshness, which this cascading strings version would complement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Inside my head -- which either objectively listens to nature or just subjectively listens to my tinnitus -- I always want the orchestrations from S1, S2 and S3 to be exactly what they were.

I like the Christmassy tone of S5 and the tambourine-laced march of S6, but want them intensified.

But S7 thru S9, I want to hear something entirely different than what they gave us: I want bells and chimes for S7, and pipe organ and a men's choir for S8 (you should really hear this as I hear it), and a piano, harpsichord and children's choir for S9.

I don't know why. That's just what I want to hear -- especially if S7 and S8 didn't, y'know, suck donkeys.

Which leaves either S4 (I like the increased use of the triangle) or phantom S10 to adopt the Mantovani cascading strings sound from the video in the original post -- which evokes a late-'50s/early-'60s zeitgeistiness and, hence, the rarefied peak of something.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And then a xylophone & bongo version for Season 11.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Hmm, I'm not a huge fan of the xylophone sound - but a lounge-y bongo version would be awesome. Is season 11 a new beginning, spring or summer perhaps?