Who Sired J.R.?

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
Imho, it wouldn't have ruined Miss Ellie's character, but it would have felt as if it did. That may not makes sense, but there it is.
Also, at this late stage in the series, to make JR Digger's son would feel as if it undermined a lot of the premise of the show. If this had been an issue mentioned in the early seasons, that could have worked. Possibly.a
I am speaking of if it turned out that JR was in fact Digger's son, not if the storyline was JR was being tortured with the possibility by an enemy.

Yes, the possibility is the story. I wouldn't have him turn out to actually be Digger's son in the end -- but think about the family upheaval, how Cliff would have a field day with it, and, if Cliff and Bobby learn that Pam may have died in the shadows via neurofibromatosis, JR can think he's the half-brother to that dreaded Barnes woman and her brother.

DNA tests can confirm JR is a Ewing only shortly before Miss Ellie dies --- ideally thrown from that horse while taking the family out to Section 40 to reveal Ewing secrets she's not able to, stopped by her own demise.

Seaviewer

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
This kind of story is better suited for daytime soaps.
They did it with Ridge on The Bold & The Beautiful and it's still at the back of my mind for every bonding moment with Eric and every time Steffi or Thomas brag about being Forresters.
I see why they did it - to simplify the bloodline of Ridge and Brooke's potential children - but I think ultimately it's a bad idea.

Luke_Krebbs_Ewing

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
The show had the perfect opportunity to screw with JR's parentage in Conundrum when Adam showed him what life would've been like if he'd never been born. His parentage wasn't brought up at all only references to Jason the brother who replaced him in this timeline.

I do think it would've been interesting watching JR squirm in the series if his parentage had been in doubt but I wouldn't have wanted it validated. Shades of the Wes Parmalee Jock Ewing storyline! :)

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
I have always taken for granted the fact that J.R. could only be Jock´s for the following reasons:

- "The Early Years". For a start, this was written by the mastermind behind the whole "Dallas". There was a lot of attention put into every detail, including that scene where Ellie goes to see Jock and "convince him" of helping them to save Southfork. That scene that starts with an argument and ends up with them in bed says it all about the nature of Ellie and Digger´s relationship. Not even once we are shown that they were more than a couple of romantic (late) teenagers who just fool around innocently. In that scene at Jock´s hotel, the writer cleverly shows us that it was Ellie´s "first time" (once they finish, she tells Jock: "Can we do this again?"). I mean, that closes the discussion to me. Ellie and Digger´s friendship was that, platonic, not a love story. And Jock was her first and only love, no matter that she had "other reasons" to marry him. And, well, Digger drank so much that probably he was already impotent by then!

1674604613662.png

...And he used to go gallivanting around Texas, too.

- Press reports for TEA: I remember that at the press reports of "The Early Years" at the time (and here I refer to magazines from 3 different countries at least!), one of the points they make is that "decent" Ellie got pregnant out of wedlock. Let´s also remember that Digger was causing a lot of trouble to the Southworthes by that time too. So 2+2=4.

1674604457105.png

Ellie: "Would you accept J.R. if he was Digger´s son?"
Jock: "Hmm, sorry, I´m sleepy. What did you say?"
Ellie: "We´d better make some more chili..."

- Finally, if Miss Ellie had been lying about it to her family, then the whole narrative of "Dallas" goes down the toilet. I agree with some of the opinions you have posted here, but I prefer to simplify this (and most other) "Dallas" question(s).

1674603985065.png

Chase: "You bastard..."
Richard: "No. YOU bastard"​

Speaking of "Falcon Crest", I think that Richard being Angela´s son was a big mistake, and perhaps it was Chase the one who should NOT have been a son of Jacqueline´s. That would have caused havoc in the 7th season (Chase´s will not valid, fight for the land between Richard, Maggie & Angela) instead of turning everything upside down with that revelation... I wouldn´t want something like that on "Dallas". I did buy Pam not being Digger´s because it was totally unexpected and we weren´t that used to those things in shows (at least not in Spain)... and because it allowed for Katherine to be "sister dearest" to Pam, one of the most enjoyable and exciting long-term storylines in all "Dallas" history.

1674604094682.png

Katherine: "I did write that letter because I wanted you and Bobby apart.
I want you for me only, Pam"
Pam: "I can´t believe... you are lebanese..."​

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And, well, Digger drank so much that probably he was already impotent by then!

Ha! So then we should find out that Jock was the father of Cliff and Pam, and Miss Ellie's shameful secret is that Rebecca told her years ago (y'know, girl talk)!

No wonder they were aghast when Bobby brought Pam home -- she was his sister!! :eck:

Buncha whores. We just have to determine which ones!

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I could also imagine an alternative plot where an ailing JR discovered his mystery illness to be Neurofibromatosis
I really like this idea. It wouldn't have to be spelled out in a typical deathbed confession - the impact is mostly dumped on the viewer.
It explains so much about JR’s psychology
And maybe also why Miss Ellie allowed JR to be raised by Jock, a sacrifice to even out her guilt.

I don't think it would retroactively change the whole narrative but it would be the perfect comeuppance, and a better reason for JR to (try to) kill himself rather than that silly "what would Dallas have been without JR" episode.

Oh, and Gary's kids would be the only true blood Ewing heirs. KNOTS LANDING wins.

Snarky Oracle

Telly Talk Oracle
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh yeah, that would have been a much bigger game changer. And it kinda makes sense since she sold her first son to the Nazis. Chase was the replacement.

And who would Chase's biological father be? Carlo Agretti? That would make some karmic sense: Chase's pursuit of Carlo's killer was a primordially instinctive pursuit to find his own father's killer.

It would also explain why evil Jacqueline coaxed Douglas into helping with kidnapping of Baby Richard by telling him the false story that Carlo had sired the child (as per my version of the tale). It was her perverse "guilt" over having had Carlo's real baby, Chase.