Who was Miss Ellie's favourite daughter-in-law?

Who was Miss Ellie's favourite daughter-in-law?

• Pam

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Donna

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Jenna

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sue Ellen

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • April

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Callie

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

Mel O'Drama

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
A couple of daughters-in-law are conspicuous by their absence here. While not her favourite I'd hope Ellie would at least view Valene more fondly than she would April.

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Miss Ellie was fond of all of her daughter-in-laws. Although she was close to Pam and Donna and confided in them more, she had a different closeness with Sue Ellen and pitied her for having a mother like Patricia.

Sue Ellen was more of a challenge but Miss Ellie spoke of the family's love for her more than for any of the others.

When Miss Ellie was away it was Sue Ellen who would take over her role in Southfork.

Miss Ellie admired Sue Ellen for being able to love JR and didn't even fall out with her over Clayton!

Monzo

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Scream series
What I always liked about Miss Ellie was that she welcomed every new woman in one of her sons' lives with open arms, even Cally. She probably would have gotten along with Abby too - if they shared any scenes together. As for April, I think she just didn't have a chance. In season 13, Miss Ellie had apparently decided that new family members no longer interested her (except for a few distant family members who had to be searched for like a scavenger hunt). JR suddenly had an adult son, but Miss Ellie didn't care, so she was no longer interested in any other potential daughters-in-law, not just April, but also Vanessa. Perhaps her disinterest was meant to reflect the audience's disinterest in these characters.

Last edited:

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Miss Ellies favourite daughter in law was Pam as she had the Digger connection and always felt she was the daughter she wanted to have but never had
She had a soft spot for Pam as Diggers daughter (or so we thought) and I think she secretly liked how Pam stood up to the Ewing men
She was the one she confided in about things - her fears over breast cancer, discussing Lucy etc - she was also the one that sided with Miss Ellie when fighting over EO

When Pam marries Mark, Miss Ellie tells her she has been like a daughter to her and she wouldnt want to lose that

Donna was a good friend and confidant - and well respected

I think she was less close to Sue Ellen and saw through her ambitions but had empathy, at times pity, for her as JR treated her pretty badly on so many occasions
From the minute you brought that girl home you neglected her, first for the business then with other women

But she never really Confided in SE the way she did with Pam and Donna; I dont think Sue Ellen was someone you could trust with a secret

April and Cally dont even come into the equation, Dallas the crap years - and never had that close relationship with them like the others

Kaleid

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Miss Ellie likely admired Pam the most, respected Donna the most and pitied Callie the most. However, as a DIL, Sue Ellen was certainly her favorite. Miss Ellie likely saw a lot of herself in Sue Ellen, and probably felt a motherly duty to her. When it came down to it, the things that were important to Miss Ellie were also valued by Sue Ellen, and that was the bond that trumped what should have been more important factors in a healthy relationship.

southfork88

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ellie's closeness to Pamela only concerned the very first period of the Ewings' affairs, when Digger was still alive.

We must not forget Ellie's bad relations with Donna, when she published Sam Culver's biography which accused Jock of atrocities. Of course it was only for a short period of bad relationships, then Ellie continued to confide in Donna.

Sue Ellen was the perfect daughter-in-law, at least until Pam came to Southfirk and Sue Ellen started getting drunk (see Barbecue). Ellie often defended Sue Ellen by turning her own son JR against her.

We don't know Ellie's relationship with Valene well.

Ellie was politely nice to Jenna, April and especially Callie.

But already from the 1986-1987 season, from the end of the "dream season", all the characters had been transformed, including Miss Ellie. At that point it seemed that she had never really loved anyone, daughters-in-law or even her children.

Was Ellie really a hypocrite, or should we consider this just a rewrite of her character?

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A lot of what if’s here for me concerning this thread. The poll is obviously skewed because it’s not taking into consideration Kristin, Katherine and Jenna. Everyone knows had any of these three become a Mrs. Ewing like they all hoped for than Miss Ellie would’ve dropped Pam, Sue Ellen and Donna in a heartbeat for them.

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
with Sue Ellen had made Miss Ellie more protective and close to this daughter-in-law.
Or maybe Miss Ellie could manipulate this daughter-in-law more than the others. She was aware of Sue Ellen not showing maternal feelings and spoke about this to Jock and JR when she should have sat her down and spoke with her, she sided with Jock and believed Sue Ellen had shot JR, she almost stole John Ross from the Southern Cross Ranch, asked Sue Ellen to take him to the bbq, knowing she couldn't say no, asked Sue Ellen to stay when the search for Jock began, again knowing she couldn't say no, interfered in her social life when she was involved with JR and Cliff.

So although I maintain Sue Ellen was her favourite maybe it was because of the control Miss Ellie had over her and the positions she put her in which she wouldn't have done to any of the others.

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Whichever was her favorite, Ellie was a horrible mother -in-law. She allowed JR to abuse SE under her roof and manipulated her emotions to get to to behave how she wanted. She drove a wedge between Pam and Bobby multiple times. She turned on Donna viciously about that Culver book. She was complicit in kidnapping Valene's daughter. She guilted Jenna into going back to Ray after he cheated.

Mommie-in-law dearest.

LMLDallas78

Telly Talk Enthusiast
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Whichever was her favorite, Ellie was a horrible mother -in-law. She allowed JR to abuse SE under her roof
But I've often wondered if Miss Ellie would have known of that abuse apart from the verbal attacks done in front of the family which he did about most members. Miss Ellie would usually give a feeble "JRrrrr" as a reprimand. It was usually Bobby coming to Sue Ellen's defense.

Miss Ellie did say to Sue Ellen at the sanitarium that she knew a little of her life with JR. Maybe not all though?

Most of JR's abuse of Sue Ellen was usually done in the bedroom or nursery or with no witnesses around.

Was Miss Ellie in complete denial of her precious son's behaviour towards Sue Ellen or was Sue Ellen too clever at disguising it from the bottom of a bottle?

CeeCee72

Telly Talk Dream Maker
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But I've often wondered if Miss Ellie would have known of that abuse apart from the verbal attacks done in front of the family which he did about most members. Miss Ellie would usually give a feeble "JRrrrr" as a reprimand. It was usually Bobby coming to Sue Ellen's defense.

Miss Ellie did say to Sue Ellen at the sanitarium that she knew a little of her life with JR. Maybe not all though?

Most of JR's abuse of Sue Ellen was usually done in the bedroom or nursery or with no witnesses around.

Was Miss Ellie in complete denial of her precious son's behaviour towards Sue Ellen or was Sue Ellen too clever at disguising it from the bottom of a bottle?
I don't think there is any doubt she knew more than she let on. After Holly Hardwood, she screams at JR that he had destroyed her AGAIN. She saw plenty and turned a blind eye to it all.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards

I think she knew more than she would’ve liked, but back then things were different. A lot of times the problems in a marriage were left for those two people alone to deal with and no one else really interfered for the most part. The Ewings were a public family and expected to act a certain way at times. J.R. and Sue Ellen were expected to make up and play nice for the public but behind closed doors it was a different story.

I wonder if Sue Ellen feared the wrath of Jock if she stood up to J.R. more. She might’ve assumed Jock would side with his son and Miss Ellie would side with her husband. This had to dawn on Sue Ellen and possibly discourage her from confiding in them more.