• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Who would you want in the elevator?

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I misunderstood the question this morning thinking that you asked us which two characters we'd like to be stuck in an elevator with! :rlol:
me, too! Dallas being a mildly salacious show of its time, my mind went here:

(hence my initial response earlier in the thread)

Last edited:

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Sue Ellen. Especially at that point in time. Give them time to knock their heads together about what they were doing and get back together. Saving me and the rest of the planet a lot of heartache!

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
JR and Pam

Miss Ellie and Cliff

agree re Jock and Gary but i wouldnt envy Gary

Jock and Digger or Cliff

;) Teresa and Raoul x
I don’t know, I think at an older age for Jock and a lot of pent up anger, I think Gary might have this one. He’d know all the buttons to push (no elevator pun intended) and I think if swung on he might not be able to pull himself back. I think Gary and Jock would have been one hell of a reckoning.

“And you can write me out of the will, old man! All it’ll ever get me is money grubbing bitches, so keep it. Better yet, shove it up your ass! That’s right. I said it. You’re nothing but a piece of shit, flimflam man who stole his best friend’s oil find and his girl. You hated me because I was more a Southworth and reminded you every day that Ewing’s are nothing more than thieves and carpetbaggers. You were born trash and will died trash and all the money in the world will never change who you are!” - think Jock would take a poke at him then? Cause I think Gary might hold his own.

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I don’t know, I think at an older age for Jock and a lot of pent up anger, I think Gary might have this one. He’d know all the buttons to push (no elevator pun intended) and I think if swung on he might not be able to pull himself back. I think Gary and Jock would have been one hell of a reckoning.

“And you can write me out of the will, old man! All it’ll ever get me is money grubbing bitches, so keep it. Better yet, shove it up your ass! That’s right. I said it. You’re nothing but a piece of shit, flimflam man who stole his best friend’s oil find and his girl. You hated me because I was more a Southworth and reminded you every day that Ewing’s are nothing more than thieves and carpetbaggers. You were born trash and will died trash and all the money in the world will never change who you are!” - think Jock would take a poke at him then? Cause I think Gary might hold his own.
Ted Shackleford's Gary would certainly have a chance - you could tell he was quite a good athlete and Jock was decades past his prime - and I might favor him in a gentleman's match where they square up and play by the rules. He'd better not screw around, though, because as the old boxing wisdom goes and old Tom Owens found out, power is the last thing to go, and Jock certainly knew how to throw and take a punch and likely knew a ton of street-fighting tricks that Gary never would have learned. If he started off on that speech above without being fully poised for action, he might find himself looking up at the elevator lights before he got halfway through.

even without coming to blows, it'd be amazing, though, like an intense one-act play! Imagine more 'art' and less 'soap' than regular Dallas. Jim Davis wasn't the best at just kind of 'filler dialogue', but he could do intense pretty well (like the 'real power' scene with Bobby), as well as a certain type of sentimental, as with Ray in 'Fourth Son'.

Last edited:

stevew

Telly Talk Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Ted Shackleford's Gary would certainly have a chance - you could tell he was quite a good athlete and Jock was decades past his prime - and I might favor him in a gentleman's match where they square up and play by the rules. He'd better not screw around, though, because as the old boxing wisdom goes and old Tom Owens found out, power is the last thing to go, and Jock certainly knew how to throw and take a punch and likely knew a ton of street-fighting tricks that Gary never would have learned. If he started off on that speech above without being fully poised for action, he might find himself looking up at the elevator lights before he got halfway through.

even without coming to blows, it'd be amazing, though, like an intense one-act play! Imagine more 'art' and less 'soap' than regular Dallas. Jim Davis wasn't the best at just kind of 'filler dialogue', but he could do intense pretty well (like the 'real power' scene with Bobby), as well as a certain type of sentimental, as with Ray in 'Fourth Son'.
I also think that the pent up anger in Gary would go a long ways to giving back what ever physical assault he took, but I agree if Jock got in a good one from the start it could end right there. And yes count have been great art. Every word revealing something we didn’t know. “When have you ever been a real man? Certainly not when your momma died all alone!” There could be issued brought up, one sided from Gary, that no punch from Jock could return as much pain as dealt. That would have been incredible to see - a deep dive into Jock and Gary as characters.

Jock could say, “What did you ever do? What you want to know. Just like my dad, you were a little fa . . .”

“What? What were you gonna say?”

“Never mind.”

“What about Grandpa Ewing?”

A scene where the audience sits mouth open.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think J.R. and Digger could’ve been interesting

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think J.R. and Digger could’ve been interesting
or Jock and Digger! As great as the episode was, their initial encounter on the porch or veranda or whatever it was in Barbecue was a bit of a letdown. Jock giving it to him verbally by the bar was a pretty spectacular scene, though..

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think it would be more powerful between two characters that don’t quite understand the other. We all know about Jock and Digger. Jock and Cliff or Digger and JR would be much more interesting.
generally agree, but maybe the problem all along was that Jock and Digger were too stubborn to understand each other fully? Yeah, thinking more, I’m not seeing it working

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
generally agree, but maybe the problem all along was that Jock and Digger were too stubborn to understand each other fully? Yeah, thinking more, I’m not seeing it working
I guess Jock and Digger wouldn’t have come out of that elevator understanding the other any better but I still would’ve liked to have seen it for entertainment purposes alone. I can see them getting drunk and talking about the old days and maybe having a laugh or two before they went right back to arguing again.

Katherine and Angelica could’ve been fun just for the hats and clothes alone.

Taylor Bennett Jr.

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I guess Jock and Digger wouldn’t have come out of that elevator understanding the other any better but I still would’ve liked to have seen it for entertainment purposes alone. I can see them getting drunk and talking about the old days and maybe having a laugh or two before they went right back to arguing again.

Katherine and Angelica could’ve been fun just for the hats and clothes alone.
I’m not sure those two could even *fit* in one elevator car with those outfits!