Why wasn’t Tony in season 3

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Coleman has admitted he had a personal issue at the time playing a gay guy.

I hope that Tracy Lawton McKay had helped him to overcome that "issue"...
Funny that he has played a few gays many years later. Billy Campbell, on the contrary, didn´t care about it and took other gay roles right away, and then developed a quite respectable career as a TV actor. Not that Jack´s is not respectable..:NI:

1601420565845.png

Tony

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I thought that Billy Campbell didn’t want to be typecast which is why he was killed off in season 6.

But then he went on to star in Tales of the City only a few years later.

Artur

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think Luke was killed off because his storyline seemed to have happy ending and no drama potential for the next season. What could they possibly have done with him and Steven the next year? Luke was too normal for this show, especially during Rita and Joel era.

Last edited:

tommie

Telly Talk Hero
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think Luke was killed off because his storyline seemed to have happy ending and no drama potential for the next season. What could they possibly have done with him and Steven the next year? Luke was too normal for this show, especially during Rita and Joel era.

I also think they needed at least someone semi-important to die in the massacre and Luke became an obvious choice due to the storyline being dead-end for various reasons.

Tony

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I would have liked Luke and Steven to have moved in together as planned and take Danny with them.

Then Sammy Jo returns and fights them both for custody. You see a darker side to Luke as he’ll do anything to keep him and Steven together, even to the extent of getting Sammy Jo kidnapped.

Meanwhile Krystle is falling in Platonic love with a black gardener played by someone like Georg Stanford Brown as he tends to her roses.

It would have been a hell of a lot more interesting and believable than the dross that the first half of season six gave us.

Gabriele

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Luke and Steven living together with Danny
Smmy Jo fight for custody
They have problems with Homophobic attacks by other people
Dynasty could speak about gay life in 80
In the end Luke died by Aids

Brian Carrington Colby

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I think the reason for Tony not making an appearance is simple, the servants were never to be the main focus after Season 1 and the fade out of chauffeur Michael Culhane. Once Season 2 started and barrelled along full-throttle, the focus was solely on the trappings of the rich family Carrington. Look how much effort it took to keep getting middle-class Claudia living at the mansion in Season 2!

Tony served a plot point in Season 2 between Krystle and Alexis. Really what else was there for him to do but be the background colour in scenes showing the main cast? Look at Kirby. Once she was introduced it was all about getting the Downstairs Girl upstairs. I agree it might of added layers to Kirby if say she had an attraction to the studly gardener soon to be stable boy. But Kirby's story was destined to be one of a love triangle between the two Dynasty Princes of the time, virtuous Jeff and scoundrel Adam. When we get to Season 8 and Matthew has taken Gerard, Jeanette, and Hilda Gunnerson hostage along with the Carringtons, the scene between Gerard and Jeanette, though well written and great for their characters, feels so out of place because the show for seven seasons prior gave the characters absolutely NO character development outside of anything superficial that served the plot of the main characters.

Most likely during Season 3 there was just no need for Tony, even in the background, for what the show wanted to accomplish that Season. Tony was a welcome sight in Season 4, but he really did not do much. His shirtless scene with Fallon was much appreciated tho!!

And an aside, not to get this tread off the rails, I found this interview with Jack Coleman from 1991 where he discusses his time on Dynasty and his feelings towards the show and his playing Steven. And it gives his explanation as to why he did not appear in the reunion........

Last edited:

Ked

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I agree it might of added layers to Kirby if say she had an attraction to the studly gardener soon to be stable boy. But Kirby's story was destined to be one of a love triangle between the two Dynasty Princes of the time, virtuous Jeff and scoundrel Adam.

Here are some alternatives I thought of:

-Adam/Kirby/Tony love-triangle; it could serve to make Adam come off more dastardly as he's trying to ruin a cute innocent couple's future along with all the other sh*t he's pulling.

-Kirby isn't in love with Tony, although she is attracted to him. She views him as "an amusing distraction" while she takes the occasional break from pursuing Jeff and fending off Adam. Either Tony falls for her and later ends up jilted, or he knows what's going on and simply smirks, "Fine by me."

-It's Fallon who Tony gets involved with (I'd still keep Fallon getting with Mark Jennings - but it's only for a few romps in the sack; she quickly gets bored of him, but Mark becomes obsessed with her). This might appease Pamela Sue Martin, who said in an interview that she was "kinda jealous" of all the boyfriends Joan Collins got to have (particularly Michael Nader). So it would mean that Adam wants to get with Kirby, who wants to get with Jeff, who wants to stay with Fallon, who wants to get things on with Tony.

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
So what's the tea on Nolan Miller? I always thought he was gay but then thought maybe not. He was married, not that that means anything. He seemed obviously gay to me, but then I would think myself a bad person for thinking that he was gay just because he was a florist turned fashion/costume designer. Is there really any proof of this?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Maybe it's like a straight man playing a gay character.
Also, he didn't do anything for the Dynasty men. Not even a fur coat for Cecil Colby.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
Yea, I know that, obviously, but was Nolan really gay or is it just speculation?

We should ask Hugh Grant if he ever spotted him in Sunset Boulevard... in high heels. :cool1

Tony

Telly Talk Fan
LV

Reaction score
Awards
A trusted author I know told me that Nolan was gay and in a relationship with a film academic who is still alive.

Maybe he married later on in life for companionship or convenience.

Like Steven Carrington being bi.

So what's the tea on Nolan Miller? I always thought he was gay but then thought maybe not. He was married, not that that means anything. He seemed obviously gay to me, but then I would think myself a bad person for thinking that he was gay just because he was a florist turned fashion/costume designer. Is there really any proof of this?