Worst Knots Landing Characters

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Who would say are the worst characters the show had to offer? Why are they the worst?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Most of the younguns from the last couple of seasons.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
"Worst" in terms of writing/acting/concept, or "worst" in terms of their behavior to other characters, lack of civility, etc.?
That I will leave entirely up to you. When I started the post, however, I was thinking of characters viewers liked the least, but however they're the worst to you is quite alright with me.

Chris2

Telly Talk TV Fanatic
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Peter Hollister.
Ted Melcher.
That awful British woman from the last season. Felicity someone or another.
Jane Sumner (how did Greg marry someone so dull).
Paige (an unpleasant cold fish - all beauty on the outside and nothing on the inside).

Alexis

Telly Talk Superhero
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Paige (an unpleasant cold fish - all beauty on the outside and nothing on the inside).
I never understand how people see Paige that way. I thought she was a very layered and deep character with clear issues and the show went a fair way in explaining why she was that way.

Zach

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Kenny and Ginger Ward - they were boring and didn't contribute much to the first 4 seasons. The show could've easily done without them

Kate Whitaker
Tom Ryan
Johnny Rourke
Paula Vertosick
Ted Melcher
Jason Lochner
Vanessa Hunt
Pierce Lawton
Joseph Barringer
Benny Appleman
Charles Scott

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Kenny and Ginger Ward - they were boring and didn't contribute much to the first 4 seasons. The show could've easily done without them

Kate Whitaker
Tom Ryan
Johnny Rourke
Paula Vertosick
Ted Melcher
Jason Lochner
Vanessa Hunt
Pierce Lawton
Joseph Barringer
Benny Appleman
Charles Scott
I don't think Kenny and Ginger were ever given a fair chance. Sure, their characters were just as bland as the majority of the stories they were given, but I always felt there was some untapped potential there.

It was clear that after Season 4 that James Houghton had little interesting in continuing with the show, but Kim Lankford tried to hold to her job. Maybe it would have been interesting to have them split (they were always having problems anyway), and have Kenny hook up with a younger woman. (Yes, younger than Ginger. I'm talking barely legal here.) This would have offered Houghton a way out of the show, but would still perhaps leave it opened enough if he ever wanted to return later on, if only for some guest shots. Without Kenny, Ginger could have become a successful singer, but it seems they were only interested in letting Lisa Hartman do that.

Hey, I wonder why Kenny and Ginger didn't make an appearance at Laura's funeral? I would have loved that.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It was clear that after Season 4 that James Houghton had little interesting in continuing with the show

That's not what he said when we interviewed him.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's not what he said when we interviewed him.
Then I must be mistaken. Sorry.

But I thought he did say that he was fine with being let go, even if he wouldn't have minded staying on? It's been some time since I've read the interviews.

James from London

International Treasure
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
K

Karin Schill

I never understand how people see Paige that way. I thought she was a very layered and deep character with clear issues and the show went a fair way in explaining why she was that way.

I think it's interesting how people view Paige. I remember when I first watched the show I loved the character. But now when I am re-watching the show I am having a hard time to like her. I am not sure why my perspective on the character has changed. :confused:

The same thing happened with Diana. I think that might have to do with that I knew what happened to the character beforehand and I thought Chip ruined Diana's character. Maybe it's the same thing with Paige. I knew about her involvement in Peter's death beforehand and that made the character less likable to me.

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I like Paige. My feelings about her were indifferent initially, but she's grew on me. She can be naughty, but it's like a breathe of freshness she brings to the show.

Keep in mind, however, I haven't even finished Season 9 yet.

Ewingjee

Telly Talk Member
LV

Reaction score
Now that I'm into season 14 of my rewatch (only up through episode 6 so far), I think I have a definitive list of the characters I hated the most. I'm eliminating minor characters/guest stars. This does not include characters I loved to hate, like Abby or Joshua or Jill, but the ones that I believe truly did not contribute well to the show.

Kenny and Ginger (why? There was nothing there. Ever.)
Diana (The most annoyingly selfish teenager ever.)
Ciji/Cathy (though I did like to hate Chip and Joshua, so I realize these were necessary characters)
Olivia (The second most annoyingly selfish teenager ever.)
Johnny Roark (that accent--'nuff said)
Linda Fairgate (how many times was she retconned? 10?)
Aunt Ginny (hard to like Jason's psycho mother)
Danny and Amanda (Why? Why? Why?)
Kate (the most boring character to ever go through multiple angst sessions)
Boring Oceanographer
Alex (another pointless character retconned and then dropped)
Pierce and the redhead from his past (I like him as Captain Pike, but not Pierce--never Pierce) and the redhead was just stupidly inconsistent
And the winner for the worst character on the show: Due to bad writing, bad acting, bad accent, bad concept, bad backstory, inconsistent characterization, and all around vomit-inducing:

Vanessa Hunt

pegasys9

Telly Talk Newbie
LV

Reaction score
Favourite Movie
Coal Miners Daughter
I loathe Paige. Just a cold fish, sl-t. And she’s extremely one dimensional. Hated her pairing with Sumner. Daddy issues?
I disliked Kenny and Ginger, for one simple reason - Ginger couldn’t act, and Kenny wasn’t much better. And those bulging eyes! Creepy.
Diana - when Sid was alive, she seemed more rounded (as a character), after his departure, she had one note - shriek! She was extremely unpleasant in every way.
Anne - also can’t act and one who thinks being attractive is a substitute for acting chops. No redeeming virtues in her character at all.
Peter Hollister - vapid, and with a ferret face. Not much of an actor.
Jill - obvious Canadian accent belies her home town girl persona. Good enough actress, but useless character.
Danny - good actor, horrible character.
Aunt Ginny - awful! No substitute for Lilly Mae. Never believed her character for a second.
Everyone new in the last 3 seasons! Apparently, the casting department was run by people who couldn’t determine acting talent and written by people who didn’t know what the heck they were doing.