"You whores!" --- Constance's video will

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As some of you may recall, we had a thread going a couple of years ago about Constance (Barbara Stanwyck) leaving behind a video will -- something just coming into vogue during the mid-1980s. How dramatic that could be.

I wanted the Colbys to spend the first half of DYNASTY's Season 6 in Denver before spinning off to THE COLBYS... how great to have had some of those Stanwyck/Beacham face-offs occurring on the parent series!

But once Stanwyck left, and her video will was read, why would she call Alexis, Sable and Caress "filthy whores"?? Sure, she dislikes Sable, we know that. But what would Constance Colby Patterson have against the Morell sisters, Alexis and Sable??

I want to see Alexis dressed in a longer version of this when the video will is played. Not sure why...

Last edited by a moderator:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Let's start with the obvious one: Alexis was a whore, so there's no need looking for subtext or mystery. Everyone would call her a whore. A narcissistic, murderous whore.
Sable was a lot of things, but definitely not a whore - and Constance should have known that. So I assume she's also being a bit hysterical in that video.
As for Caress, I think this is more personal, although she's the only one who knows why.
And that's the thing with Alexis' greedy, jealous, conniving sister: she knows a lot of stuff - about the Carringtons, Colbys, Powers, Scotts, Fallmonts and probably Mr. Patterson too.

I think, at some point, Constance became enchanted by the pretty yet serious Caress as she seemed so much more sincere than her sister.
Caress, always the opportunist, encouraged her and eventually they became romantically involved. Constance gave her gifts every now and then, but Caress wanted more, she wanted to have as much as her sister.
Therefore she confronted Constance's husband (the biggest snob in town, a true descendant of the Mayflower families) with the situation, and promised to keep quiet in exhange for money.
In a twist of fate, Caress and Philip (or is it Phillip?) got involved in a car accident, killing a young girl in the process. Cecil and Patterson made a deal with the DA and all evidence of Philip's involvement was destroyed. The DA (Moretti's father) "sold" the rest of the unofficial investigation to Cecil ("if you're going to be governor, you need someone to finance your campaign...") thus giving Cecil or actually Patterson or actually Constance the ammunition to counter-blackmail Caress.

"Get out, you little viper!"

Cecil moved to Denver and Jason supported another candidate for governor, which ruined father-DA-Moretti's life.

But Constance's feelings were still there, and she felt very, very betrayed and ashamed. Her marriage, never totally romantic to begin with, had become a shambles.
Mr. Patterson started to drink.

On her way out of Colby territory, she sort of stumbles across Zach Powers and is intrigued by the fact that he used to work for Jason Colby.
And that Mr and Mrs Carrington are on the guest list. Blake and Alexis represented the image of optimistic and successful "America". How she hated her!
Etc.

It's all a bit soapy, but this is how I think it happened.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I want to see Bette Davis make an appearance as Sable's mother in one episode of DYNASTY and then of THE COLBYS. And before she leaves Denver, Bette hands Caress a mysterious manila folder and tells her to use it when the time is right.

Could this have contained data about The Collection? And did Caress pull Sable into the search for the nazi treasure?

Naturally, Bette hates Constance.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Also because Constance hates Agatha's daughter. But she'd rather have the nosy Caress to do the dirty job. Who cares what happens to the daughter of Minx Morell (whom she also hates, of course. What a bunch!)
Oh, yes. Minx and Alexis both slept with King Galen (like mother, like daughter) while Constance had an unrequited crush on Moldavia's senior royal since the '50s (can we imagine stealing a THORN BIRDS scene like the one where Stanwyck professed undying geriatric grudge-lust to the Cardinal?)

Did Constance have a role in the coup d'etat of the tiny principality?

And Bette holds Jason's dalliance with both daughters against him -- especially since her favorite daughter, Sable, was the one he'd betrothed and betrayed. So she asks Caress to hold the secret material close to her bosom until she, Bette, passes away.

Perhaps the material has much in common with that shoebox of stuff the Mathews handed over to Blake...

And perhaps Constance tried to corral Caress' friendship years earlier, as a potential weapon against Alexis and Sable, only to learn Bette Davis (whom Constance detested) liked her. That's enough to make Stanwyck paranoid, especially if Caress slept with one of Constance's husbands to boot. (I still want to call Stanwyck's character "Rubenstein" or "Ruby", Barbara Stanwyck's real name and in keeping with the furs-and-jewels moniker motif. But that's just my quirk).

Was Agatha the name of Sable's and Frankie's mother? That's perfab!

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As you likely know, I want Dame Judith Anderson in here, too. She can't get along with Alexis or Stanwyck, logically. But Blake likes her, and so does Jason.

And I want her connected to the Colbys, the Fallmonts and the Moldavian royal family.

Now, @Willie Oleson , can you give me that??

"You left me out of your video will, my dearest bitchy whore..."

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
As you likely know, I want Dame Judith Anderson in here, too
To be honest I don't really know her, apart from the images posted here and in another (post-crash)thread.
She has a beautiful characteristic face, which is a great tool to make a role completely your "own", as it were.

As for the story, I don't know, but something tells me that this time Alexis was smart enough not to fight this woman, at least not openly.
Let's call it an alley cat-instinct (Alexis', not mine).
But why did she hate Constance? Something terrible must have happened?:popcorn:
But Blake likes her, and so does Jason
Great. I like unusual friendships and alliances as it often paves the way for unexpected twists and turns.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Willie Oleson said:
To be honest I don't really know her, apart from the images posted here and in another (post-crash)thread.
She was Mrs Danvers in REBECCA and was Elizabeth Taylor's mother in law in CAT ON A HOT TINE ROOF and played Gene Tierney's rival for Vincent Price's affections in LAURA and was even some vulcan empress or another in one of the STAR TREK movies.

She and Maurice Evans (head monkey in PLANET OF THE APES) were one of Britain's leading stage couple in the '40s. Her MEDEA was reputed to be the finest ever this side of Maria Callas (well, two Scorpio Risings... you know...)

Willie Oleson said:
She has a beautiful characteristic face, which is a great tool to make a role completely your "own", as it were.
Yes, she could be DYNASTY's Jacqueline Perrault. Soap Mother of Them All.

Willie Oleson said:
As for the story, I don't know, but something tells me that this time Alexis was smart enough not to fight this woman, at least not openly.
Let's call it an alley cat-instinct (Alexis', not mine).
But why did she hate Constance? Something terrible must have happened?
See below...

----------------------

How can Judith Anderson be Queen Mother of Moldavia, join THE COLBYS once they spin off and Stanwyck exits, and then come back to DYNASTY after the spin-off fails and be a member of the doomed Fallmont brigade...?

Hmmm....

If she's Buck Fallmont's aunt (having been his father's sister) and she then marries Andrew Colby's uncle (with a royal background in Moldavia, whose brother, the king, dies childless) and that marriage produces a son, Galen, who assumes the throne, then she can be connected to all three dynasties. Yes?

Anderson is there when Alexis takes the throne mid-Season 6 (a marriage which Anderson predictably doesn't approve) and returns to Denver with her son, Galen and Alexis, once the reverse-reverse coup d'etat occurs. Anderson blames Constance, who she detests, for the coup -- and she may be right. And after a few bitchy exchanges and scenes with Stanwyck, Constance dies and THE COLBYS return to California and their spin off. Once there and Stanwyck is six feet under, Dame Judith gets along famously with Jason who is her ....... well, if she was married to Andrew's uncle, what would that make her to Jason and his siblings?

Anyway, once THE COLBYS is cancelled, Anderson migrates back to Denver and hangs out with her snarky brother, the father of her nephew, Buck.

So.... what is Dame Judith Anderson's screen name? What is Andrew's long-dead uncle's name? And what is Anderson's brother's name, the father of Buck??

She needs a great name...

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
But why did she hate Constance? Something terrible must have happened?:popcorn:

Snarky's Ghost said:
Anderson blames Constance, who she detests, for the coup -- and she may be right.

Snarky's Ghost said:
She was Mrs Danvers in REBECCA and was Elizabeth Taylor's mother in law in CAT ON A HOT TINE ROOF and played Gene Tierney's rival for Vincent Price's affections in LAURA and was even some vulcan empress or another in one of the STAR TREK movies.

Oh, and a teenaged Stanwyck kills Judith Anderson by knocking her down the stairs in THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS (1947), and then Missy shoves a pair of scissors into her eye in THE FURIES (1950).

So there's a cinematic history. Good adversarial chemistry, like Joan and Linda but a wee bit more homicidal.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Oh wait, he's not a brother of Constance's grandfather (Andrew's father)? (and hopefully a little younger?)
I think so. I get confused easily.

If Dame Judith marries Andrew Colby's titled uncle, then he'd indeed be the brother of Constance's grandfather (and Andrew's father).

Is that workable?

And why younger? When was Andrew supposed to have been born?

Willie Oleson said:
Queen Malfuria?
'Queen Mother Malfuria'? I'll submit it to the board.

Again, was it ever established the Sable's mother's name was Agatha??

Agatha Scott, in happier times:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
And why younger?
Well, Buck Fallmont's parents/aunts/uncles seem to be a younger generation than Andrew Colby's parents/aunts/uncles.
So either she married a very very old man, or she was Buck's very very old aunt.
How old is she supposed to be?
Incidentally, sometimes I found it difficult to think of Constance as Jason's sister.
Again, was it ever established the Sable's mother's name was Agatha??
It was the first name that popped into my head, and you always say "don't fight nature".
Agatha Scott, in happier times:
Ah, but whose husband is she looking at so gleefully?
They may end up acting like the pearls-clutching matrons, dismissive of the Alexises, Sammy Jos and the likes, but they usually have a lot to answer for.
And Jacqueline Perrault wasn't the only one!

(hmm....lost internet connection. I'm gonna dance to the Popcorn song and hope that the problem will fix itself)

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, Buck Fallmont's parents/aunts/uncles seem to be a younger generation than Andrew Colby's parents/aunts/uncles.
So either she married a very very old man, or she was Buck's very very old aunt.
How old is she supposed to be?
Judith Anderson was approaching 90 at the time, and still working (on a daytime soap, no less, which rarely use her!) but I don't see why we can connect to her an earlier generation of Fallmonts.

Willie Oleson said:
Incidentally, sometimes I found it difficult to think of Constance as Jason's sister.
I know. Stanwyck was like 17 or 18 years older than Heston. I was okay with it, but I would have been fine with "Aunt Connie".

Willie Oleson said:
It was the first name that popped into my head, and you always say "don't fight nature".

Well, it's fab. "Agatha". Couldn't be better. You've just earned Story Editor status. I hope you're pleased.

Willie Oleson said:
Ah, but whose husband is she looking at so gleefully?

They may end up acting like the pearls-clutching matrons, dismissive of the Alexises, Sammy Jos and the likes, but they usually have a lot to answer for.

And Jacqueline Perrault wasn't the only one!

(hmm....lost internet connection. I'm gonna dance to the Popcorn song and hope that the problem will fix itself)

Now who did I want as Sable's daddy? It has to be someone who'd do it, which rules out a lot of folks. Also, I tend to assume Sable's and Frankie's papa expired long before the series started. Likely killed by Agatha by accident.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
but I don't see why we can connect to her an earlier generation of Fallmonts.
I guess that should read as "can't".
Of course you can, but it seems a bit difficult to connect her with two generations. Or could she be the sister of Buck Fallmont's grandfather?
And how is Andrew's uncle (who married the sister of Andrew's mother or father) related to the Moldavians?
You've just earned Story Editor status. I hope you're pleased
Very pleased! But where's my Editor banner? (do I need another one? My profile info already looks a bit peacockish).
Sable's and Frankie's papa
Yes, the fathers are often more challenging to create. Papa Morell should be 100% Hammer Horror of course, but I'm not sure about Papa Scott.
Maybe he should be one of the real good guys...but then, he left his daughter in England...maybe he just didn't like her?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I guess that should read as "can't".
Correct, I meant "can't" instead of "can." Thank you.

Willie Oleson said:
Of course you can, but it seems a bit difficult to connect her with two generations. Or could she be the sister of Buck Fallmont's grandfather?

And how is Andrew's uncle (who married the sister of Andrew's mother or father) related to the Moldavians?
All of that's so intriguing! When it becomes too complicated, that's the time to breeze passed it.

Willie Oleson said:
Very pleased! But where's my Editor banner? (do I need another one? My profile info already looks a bit peacockish).
I'm going to misappropriate your contributions, taking advantage of your good nature. Always leading you along with promises of stature, credit and renumeration until, years later and fatigued by the exploitation you're forced to file an intellectual property suit which will, naturally, conclude with knives brandished and shrieks of "liars!!"

Citing your superior melodrama, the courts will ultimately find me liable, the bastards.

Which leads to another series concept. And yet another suit a decade after that.
Willie Oleson said:
Yes, the fathers are often more challenging to create. Papa Morell should be 100% Hammer Horror of course, but I'm not sure about Papa Scott.
Maybe he should be one of the real good guys...but then, he left his daughter in England...maybe he just didn't like her?

I tend to assume most of the papas are dead. Obviously, they have fewer choices in couture.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Gosh...now I feel like the painted whore!
No whore is as fabulously painted as your Agatha.

Agatha is a terrific, pitch-perfect name, and should have been used. Doesn't "Beth" also sound like kind of a spooky name? -- not for Sable's mother however.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Maybe it's because Beth rhymes with "death"... and, of course, there's Shakespeare's MacScottishPlay.