Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
“A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." Watching the Star Wars films
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Werewillie Oleson" data-source="post: 324238" data-attributes="member: 8"><p>Just for the heck of it I said "teddibly reassuring" out loud and indeed, it sounds reassuringly sinister. I even scared myself a little.</p><p></p><p></p><p>Agreed. I find it interesting to see how creative they had to be in order to bypass the technological limitations of whatever time.</p><p>Maybe I'm going out on a limb here but often I prefer the obvious fakeness in these kind of stories simply because it all looks like something that can be touched.</p><p>I'm not sure if this is true or something I want to believe, but I also get the impression that the actors had to work a little harder to sell it.</p><p></p><p>Furthermore it stimulates my imagination which is <em>always</em> a good thing, but I understand that it doesn't work that way for everybody.</p><p>Perfectly looking CGI takes that away from me but ironically I'm actually <em>more</em> aware of the trickery and illusion of it all.</p><p></p><p>I don't mean to sneeze at CGI as a whole because it can be an art in itself, and very <em>very</em> beautiful, but it could never replace the hokey brilliance of the original, dated concept (imho).</p><p></p><p></p><p>I don't know how that looks in <em>these</em> movies, but from a general point of view it might be the key ingredient for any ficitional story.</p><p>Not that the serious moments need to be counterbalanced with intentional humour, but when it leaves room for interpretable humour (or "mistakes") it inadvertently becomes more realistic.</p><p>Haven't we all (almost) laughed at a horrible real-life tragedy because it seemed so over-the-top, especially when it happened on top of another horrible real-life tragedy?</p><p>There's no such thing as a fixed scenario for how we react to people or events, then why pretend it should exist in fiction?</p><p></p><p>A few weeks ago a new colleague introduced herself to me and right after that I had to run to the WC to hide and smother myself so that no one could see or hear me laugh (she was caricaturistically serious).</p><p>Hmm, what's the relevance...oh yeah, life can be surprisingly funny and thank God for WC's.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Werewillie Oleson, post: 324238, member: 8"] Just for the heck of it I said "teddibly reassuring" out loud and indeed, it sounds reassuringly sinister. I even scared myself a little. Agreed. I find it interesting to see how creative they had to be in order to bypass the technological limitations of whatever time. Maybe I'm going out on a limb here but often I prefer the obvious fakeness in these kind of stories simply because it all looks like something that can be touched. I'm not sure if this is true or something I want to believe, but I also get the impression that the actors had to work a little harder to sell it. Furthermore it stimulates my imagination which is [I]always[/I] a good thing, but I understand that it doesn't work that way for everybody. Perfectly looking CGI takes that away from me but ironically I'm actually [I]more[/I] aware of the trickery and illusion of it all. I don't mean to sneeze at CGI as a whole because it can be an art in itself, and very [I]very[/I] beautiful, but it could never replace the hokey brilliance of the original, dated concept (imho). I don't know how that looks in [I]these[/I] movies, but from a general point of view it might be the key ingredient for any ficitional story. Not that the serious moments need to be counterbalanced with intentional humour, but when it leaves room for interpretable humour (or "mistakes") it inadvertently becomes more realistic. Haven't we all (almost) laughed at a horrible real-life tragedy because it seemed so over-the-top, especially when it happened on top of another horrible real-life tragedy? There's no such thing as a fixed scenario for how we react to people or events, then why pretend it should exist in fiction? A few weeks ago a new colleague introduced herself to me and right after that I had to run to the WC to hide and smother myself so that no one could see or hear me laugh (she was caricaturistically serious). Hmm, what's the relevance...oh yeah, life can be surprisingly funny and thank God for WC's. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
What month follows July?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
“A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." Watching the Star Wars films
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top