Forums
New posts
What's new
New posts
Latest activity
Awards
Log in
Register
What's new
New posts
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Poison your name this Hallowe'en
There's plenty of time to choose your spooky October username
Click here for more details
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
“A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." Watching the Star Wars films
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Spells &amp; Karma" data-source="post: 324396" data-attributes="member: 23"><p style="text-align: center"><strong><span style="font-size: 22px">Return Of The Jedi</span></strong></p> <p style="text-align: center"></p> <p style="text-align: center"><em>continued</em></p> <p style="text-align: center"></p><p></p><p></p><p>More soapy revelations with Leia revealed to be Luke’s sister (gasp! But of course this information was also out in the universe and so wasn’t news to me). I enjoyed how it was handled, with Luke and Leia now the John Palmer and Angela Hamilton of the <em>Star Wars</em> universe: twins separated at birth; she going on to a life of wealth and privilege, though also a rebel; he becoming part of a more earthy blue collar family who teach him good values; they meet two decades later and fall in love; he discovers that the person he despises most in the world - and who treats him with equal contempt - is the person who gave him life. There's even been an incestuous kiss along the way. So very <em>Sons and Daughters</em> is it all, I actually visualised a sepia freeze frame in the moment where Luke received the news about Leia. This sequel certainly lives up to the space opera name.</p><p></p><p>Han’s jealousy and misunderstanding over Luke and Leia’s cosy confab was also nicely soapy, and Harrison Ford did a wonderfully confused look on receiving the news that made me think he was about to say “But you’ve kissed him. With tongues” (sadly, the incest angle pretty much went unmentioned in <em>Jedi). </em>Ford also gave one of the funniest, most interesting kisses on the series when Leia kissed him as he was still processing everything he was told. The look in his open eyes spoke volumes. It's also nice that Han was willing to step aside when he thought Luke was on Leia's radar as a lover.</p><p></p><p>As previously mentioned, I felt Mark Hamill was perfect for Luke but didn’t feel he was a great actor. I’ve actually changed my mind on the latter. Of all characters, it’s Luke who’s changed and grown the most in the series. He’s grown from a boy to a man and from an innocent to one who truly understands. And he’s done it all with ease. His performance in Jedi is not only the best for him as an actor in this series, but it’s also arguably one of the best performances in this film and series. He’s retained the innocent sparkle to his eyes, and this works to great effect when he’s dealing with Yoda’s death and the news about his long-lost sister. But there’s a grown up economy to his performance. The scene in which he breaks the news to Leia is terrific. There’s a lot of dramatic development in this film, with the changing family dynamics and the deaths of tutor and his father. Appropriately, there’s a darkness and intensity to Luke at times - one can almost see Willem Dafoe in some scenes. He’s become nicely unpredictable.</p><p></p><p>While I was pretty sure Vader would die, the way in which it happened felt unexpected. The final scene between Luke and Vader was quite lovely, though I really wasn’t sure about the removal of the mask - or at least about we, the audience, seeing Vader’s real face. Part of me feels it would have been better to simply see Luke’s reaction to seeing his father. But there’s no denying it was a moment. And it worked.</p><p></p><p>As the end to the series, I’m very happy with this one. At this point, I question if the prequel and sequel trilogies are needed. I’d be happy for Episodes IV, V and VI to simply be part of a wider imaginary universe and let our imaginations run riot with possibilities. That same part of me could happily leave it here and draw a line in the Tatooine sand. But since the other six episodes (among other materials) are siting in my watch list, I feel it would be rude not to.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Spells & Karma, post: 324396, member: 23"] [CENTER][B][SIZE=6]Return Of The Jedi[/SIZE][/B] [I]continued[/I] [/CENTER] More soapy revelations with Leia revealed to be Luke’s sister (gasp! But of course this information was also out in the universe and so wasn’t news to me). I enjoyed how it was handled, with Luke and Leia now the John Palmer and Angela Hamilton of the [I]Star Wars[/I] universe: twins separated at birth; she going on to a life of wealth and privilege, though also a rebel; he becoming part of a more earthy blue collar family who teach him good values; they meet two decades later and fall in love; he discovers that the person he despises most in the world - and who treats him with equal contempt - is the person who gave him life. There's even been an incestuous kiss along the way. So very [I]Sons and Daughters[/I] is it all, I actually visualised a sepia freeze frame in the moment where Luke received the news about Leia. This sequel certainly lives up to the space opera name. Han’s jealousy and misunderstanding over Luke and Leia’s cosy confab was also nicely soapy, and Harrison Ford did a wonderfully confused look on receiving the news that made me think he was about to say “But you’ve kissed him. With tongues” (sadly, the incest angle pretty much went unmentioned in [I]Jedi). [/I]Ford also gave one of the funniest, most interesting kisses on the series when Leia kissed him as he was still processing everything he was told. The look in his open eyes spoke volumes. It's also nice that Han was willing to step aside when he thought Luke was on Leia's radar as a lover. As previously mentioned, I felt Mark Hamill was perfect for Luke but didn’t feel he was a great actor. I’ve actually changed my mind on the latter. Of all characters, it’s Luke who’s changed and grown the most in the series. He’s grown from a boy to a man and from an innocent to one who truly understands. And he’s done it all with ease. His performance in Jedi is not only the best for him as an actor in this series, but it’s also arguably one of the best performances in this film and series. He’s retained the innocent sparkle to his eyes, and this works to great effect when he’s dealing with Yoda’s death and the news about his long-lost sister. But there’s a grown up economy to his performance. The scene in which he breaks the news to Leia is terrific. There’s a lot of dramatic development in this film, with the changing family dynamics and the deaths of tutor and his father. Appropriately, there’s a darkness and intensity to Luke at times - one can almost see Willem Dafoe in some scenes. He’s become nicely unpredictable. While I was pretty sure Vader would die, the way in which it happened felt unexpected. The final scene between Luke and Vader was quite lovely, though I really wasn’t sure about the removal of the mask - or at least about we, the audience, seeing Vader’s real face. Part of me feels it would have been better to simply see Luke’s reaction to seeing his father. But there’s no denying it was a moment. And it worked. As the end to the series, I’m very happy with this one. At this point, I question if the prequel and sequel trilogies are needed. I’d be happy for Episodes IV, V and VI to simply be part of a wider imaginary universe and let our imaginations run riot with possibilities. That same part of me could happily leave it here and draw a line in the Tatooine sand. But since the other six episodes (among other materials) are siting in my watch list, I feel it would be rude not to. [/QUOTE]
Insert quotes…
Verification
Who played Sue Ellen in Dallas?
Post reply
Forums
Entertainment
Movies
“A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." Watching the Star Wars films
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
Accept
Learn more…
Top