All non-letter mail by DHL now?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Even those tiny orders packed in a cardboard envelope (e.g. CD) that easily fits through the letterbox?
And now I also have to sign for everything, and I'm receiving sms messages from DHL that the package is on its way.
I never asked for this!
I only opt for signed for/registered mail when I buy something (relatively) expensive, and only when I buy from private market place sellers.

Has the online market system been abused so much that every purchase is now treated as a parcel that requires traceability?

When I come home I want to find those little packages on my doormat, like gifts under a Christmas tree - and not some note saying they will try to deliver it again or that I have to arrange a signed for delivery or that my neighbours signed for it.

Whatever happened to TNT post? Does it still exist?

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Here in America we now have this phenomenon jokingly referred to as "porch pirates". Due to all the online shopping, thieves are now brazenly stealing deliveries off people's porches, sometimes even following the delivery truck around. The blame for all these thefts, of course lies on the thieves, but it does not help that the shopper does not always make secure arrangements for their deliveries, nor does it help that some delivery people don't make reasonable attempts to hide/secure the packages. In an effort to appease their angry, bereft customers, all the big delivery companies are doing wacky stuff like this--tracing everything, no matter how small--in order to keep from having to reimburse people for the thefts, since some victims are all too willing to blame anyone for the theft.

If I were a frequent online shopper, I'd rent a drop box at the UPS Store or a similar place (they have staff who can sign for packages) and have my more valuable and/or large packages sent there. If online shopping keeps growing at the rate it is right now, handyman-types might be able to make some side money by constructing lock-box type strategies for deliverymen to secure packages on porches, back doors, etc. like a giant, locking mailbox.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well of course I don't mind opening the door and sign for something if I expect a bigger parcel.
I certainly wouldn't want them to leave it outside my house (the very idea!), and I seriously doubt they are allowed to do so (unless specified by the sender, but I would never agree with that).
But that letterbox is there for a reason: use it!!