Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Hey - I just wondered has anyone with young children got experience with nightmares?

My little niece is 4 and is wakening on a nightly basis thanks to the 'Bad Grinch', this buck eejit who thought it would be a good idea to go into people's homes at Christmas and wreck their houses. She heard adults talking about it and it's left her terrified.

Thing is she is ok with the 'Good Grinch' aka Jim Carrey, but is having nightly night terrors around this other one. Her mum has tried everything - sleeping beside her, worry dolls, talking about it - nothing has worked and now I'm googling books. We're all really worried. I remember having nightly fears myself of burglars but I don't want them to have to wait for her to grow out of it.

Any suggestions anyone?

FYI - this is the 'Bad Grinch'.

K

Karin Schill

I don't really have any experience with this. But when I was a kid and had nightmares I wrote about the stuff that scared me in short stories and it helped ease my fears. So I think it could help her if she could process it somehow. Maybe if her parents sits down and talk with your niece about what is making her scared and explains that it is not something that will happen to her. Or possibly let her paint a drawing of what scares her. I think that might help.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Thanks so much @Karin Schill - I love her so much and hate seeing her so afraid.

I love the drawing idea. I know she will outgrow it. I had terrible fears as a child of spiders, fire and burglars. I remember the first time we had a smoke alarm fitted I was convinced it meant the house would go on fire. It’s just horrible that this idea is in her head.

I will suggest the drawing to her mum. Thanks again! You’re very kind xx

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm not a parent but I would suggest reassuring the child that everything is ok and ask her to recount the dream. Although this might be painful, it's only by getting it out that you can deal with it. The dreams might representing another anxiety that the child is experiencing in her real life so try and find out if something else is bothering her. Other than that, it might just be a case of being patient and eventually the dreams will stop.