Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I pride myself on my knowledge of American geography. I can name every state and can also identify the states by their shapes. (Yes I am that good!) I even impressed 2 American visitors last week - they admitted THEY couldn't name all the states ;)

Sadly my UK geography isn't as hot and I occasionally (shamefully) forget some of the Irish counties as well. Which is sad because I'm Irish. :confuse:

I'm trying to broaden my horizons by learning about Africa first and then the rest of the world.

Where are your geographical strengths? And weaknesses??

Michelle Stevens

'The Lovely Michelle'
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Very good. :gotcha: Many of my fellow Americans are woefully ignorant of geography, even with knowledge of our states. :fp:

I couldn't name all the counties in Ireland but that could be my next challenge. :think:

My strengths, I can name most countries of the world and their flags. Try your luck with this. https://www.jetpunk.com/quizzes/how-many-countries-can-you-name I can get about 160-170 in 15 minutes but I get hung-up with spelling names quickly enough and I have a weakness with Pacific Island and Caribbean Island nations.

Good luck with your study of Africa. I didn't have as much trouble with learning the 55 countries overall but the tiny ones like Equatorial Guinea or Comoros can throw me off.

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've always been interested in geography. Even in elementary school I read up on all these exotic places and could spout all the trivia, stuff we were not taught back then. I think it was because I was living in a rural area and wondered about places beyond my hometown. Knowing all the countries, landmarks, etc. was a good complement to studying history in high school. My school system didn't offer the subject as a separate class, so I was 'independent study'.

It's all great fun when you're watching Jeopardy with friends (well, fun for me, anyway) or playing Trivial Pursuit (do they still do that?), but none of the info does me much good these days. But I agree it's kind of funny/sad seeing students leaving high school or even college who don't know the difference between Austria and Australia, or unaware that New Mexico is not a part of Mexico. It's almost like the attitude toward having good grammar--some try to argue that both subjects have no "real" value in their lives, when in fact everyone's lives can be enriched by the knowledge.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Geography and maths are my weakest subjects. I can't place all counties of Sweden. I can probably place about 70% of the European countries. I can name approximately 80% of the European capitals.

When it comes to Africa, I can place maybe 10-12 countries.

I suck at Central America and Asia.

US states is not my specialty either. I can place maybe 10-15. Central and North East states are difficult.

Flags of the world is something I'm very good at. I have no idea why, but for some reason I can remember them much better. And if I can't say what country a flag belongs to, I'm very good at guessing. I have often surprised myself with this hidden talent of mine.

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
Top Poster Of Month
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I can probably place about 70% of the European countries.
That's because Europe is constantly growing eventhough it's not getting bigger (hey, that's a great paradox).
Every year, the Euro Song Festival has at least one contender representing a European country I had never heard of before. Maybe they're all created by Esther Shapiroo_O

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I used to be able to do a 'parlor trick' involving drawing the USA, state by state on a marker-board. I used to work it into a lecture or two when I taught high school, and I thought it was quite the show-off maneuver as I kept calling out and adding on states. 9/10 times it would turn out looking close to normal. :D Not once did any of my students show any reaction whatsoever.:mad:

Michael Torrance

Telly Talk Mega Star
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I know every country in Europe (as of last night) and every state in the US, but after that I have a rather superficial knowledge of other parts of the world. Like, I can tell you in what continent a country is, and probably the general area of the continent it is located, and I can draw the shape of the huge ones (like Russia, India, China, Argentina, and Brazil) as well as locate all the island ones. But not much else in great detail. When I was a kid I was actually more fascinated with foreign lands, but I have grown more ignorant of them as I became a US citizen. I have yet to lose my ability to colour-coordinate, and I can't seem to be able to wear sneakers even at black tie events, but when it comes to geography I am almost fully Americanized. :D

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
That's because Europe is constantly growing eventhough it's not getting bigger (hey, that's a great paradox).

Here you have it. The last 2300 years.

I had never heard of all those empires before. I had no idea Germany, Spain & Finland took so fricking long to become Germany, Spain & Finland.

Emelee

Telly Talk Warrior
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Can you name/place many mountains, rivers, lakes, peninsulas, deserts etc?

I recently learned Sweden's 10 biggest lakes in order from biggest to smallest --- thanks to a terrific memory game. :D But don't ask me to name lakes in other countries!!!!

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Can you name/place many mountains, rivers, lakes, peninsulas, deserts etc?

I recently learned Sweden's 10 biggest lakes in order from biggest to smallest --- thanks to a terrific memory game. :D But don't ask me to name lakes in other countries!!!!

No I can't. With mountains I'm usually The Mournes, Ben Nevis, K2 and Everest. Oh and the Himalayas. Which I think are Everest and K2!

Mo Mouse

Telly Talk Well-Known Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've always said that you are the brainiest bird on this forum, Sar. The full package, as it were.