Beets -- for better health

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I've been a type 2 diabetic for about ten years, I'm obese, and I've also recently developed chronic kidney issues. I truly fear I'm nearing the finish line of life.

I've always been terribly addicted to pop (Dr. Pepper in particular.) I've never drank alcohol, smoked, or done drugs, but I can attest to pop being just as addictive.

I'm desperately wanting to change my bad habits, but I can't help but feel it's too little, too late. I was eating a banana a day a few months ago for the potassium. I was getting terrible cramps in my legs, and I heard the potassium would help relieve that. It did work, but I had to stop eating them because of the sugar and my potassium rose too high (I believe as a result of my poor kidney function.) Last night, I got a cramp in my left leg so bad it felt like it was broken. My doctor suggested I replace the banana with strawberries for the electrolytes, but they're doing nothing for my cramps. He also thinks my poor kidney function is partly due to the Metformin I'm on for diabetes. That stuff kept me on the toilet all the time, which he believes caused me to become dehydrated. I was on Ozempic briefly, but that also did a number on my stomach and made me sick.

I'm now off Meformin and on Insulin for the first time. I'm trying hard to drink more water, stay off the pop, and hopefully find some fruits and vegetables I can tolerate that will improve my health. It's been over 15 years since I've had beets, but that's something I'd be willing to try again. I never realized they were that good for you. Blood sugar and blood pressure are both things I need to work on controlling too. I'm not a big celery fan, but I could tolerate it with some peanut butter (which is good because it has protein.) I'm hoping I can at least prolong my life some by making these changes. That said, it's always bothered me how the things that are often most enjoyable in the moment and short term often do the most damage in the long term. It reminds me of a song Alan Jackson did called "Everything I Love is Killing Me." It truly feels that way sometimes.

Yes, soda pop is the worst (and its effects on the liver and pancreas are almost indistinguishable from alcoholism).

You might try Berberine (1,000+ mg/day) to replace the Metformin. And try and consume a B1(Thiamine) supplement every 12 hours (nearly all physical symptoms related to diabetes, or just too many carbs, is due to Thiamine depletion). Also, consume 2,000 mg/day of the amino acid Taurine -- on general principles.

There are other good things to take, but the hardest part is: get off the carbohydrates -- regardless of what kind of carbohydrates. (You need to keep it at under 35mg/day, which is severe but necessary).

The good thing is that it only takes about 72 hours to adjust to the blood sugar drop when you stop the carbs -- and after that, with your insulin down, you then have more control because your appetite crashes and the metabolism increases.

You'll feel draggy for a couple of days, but you'll quickly adjust. Sometimes life can turn on a three day period.

And do what you can to get your nitric oxide production to a maximum.

Also, if you have a stationary bike -- or someplace to walk -- it will help. Perhaps a lot. (And walking for just 15 minutes immediately after a meal is ideal).

I don't mean to sound maudlin, but don't accept that it's "too late." It's easy to say this online, but sometimes you just have to fight. And when you don't have the energy or motivation to fight anymore is exactly when you need to fight the most.

Frank Underwood

Telly Talk Winner
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Yes, soda pop is the worst (and its effects on the liver and pancreas are almost indistinguishable from alcoholism).

You might try Berberine (1,000+ mg/day) to replace the Metformin. And try and consume a B1(Thiamine) supplement every 12 hours (nearly all physical symptoms related to diabetes, or just too many carbs, is due to Thiamine depletion). Also, consume 2,000 mg/day of the amino acid Taurine -- on general principles.

There are other good things to take, but the hardest part is: get off the carbohydrates -- regardless of what kind of carbohydrates. (You need to keep it at under 35mg/day, which is severe but necessary).

The good thing is that it only takes about 72 hours to adjust to the blood sugar drop when you stop the carbs -- and after that, with your insulin down, you then have more control because your appetite crashes and the metabolism increases.

You'll feel draggy for a couple of days, but you'll quickly adjust. Sometimes life can turn on a three day period.

And do what you can to get your nitric oxide production to a maximum.
Thanks, I really appreciate the suggestions. I need all the help I can get.

Also, if you have a stationary bike -- or someplace to walk -- it will help. Perhaps a lot. (And walking for just 15 minutes immediately after a meal is ideal).
I had a doctor suggest a stationary bike as well. I think that's something I'll look into.

I used to go on walks quite frequently, but I gradually got heavier and more sedentary. As a result, walking for more than a couple minutes at a time has become quite difficult for me. At this point, I think a stationary bike or a treadmill are my best bet. That way if I get out of breath or in pain, I'll be in a position to sit and rest if necessary.

Snarky Oracle! said:
I don't mean to sound maudlin, but don't accept that it's "too late." It's easy to say this online, but sometimes you just have to fight. And when you don't have the energy or motivation to fight anymore is exactly when you need to fight the most.
I know you're right on an intellectual level, but it's often hard to find the will through the depression and negative voices. It's something I'm trying to work on, though.

It's really interesting how insidious poor diet and lack of exercise is. It's like the frog that's placed in the pot of tepid water and is slowly boiled alive. It doesn't realize what's happening until it's too late. Obviously I knew I wasn't living a healthy lifestyle, but I didn't start paying attention until I felt the effects of it and saw the lab results.

I know a lot of people think it's a result of laziness and lack of will power, but there's often a pleasure element involved as well. Junk food often fills a void as it did for me.

Last edited:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Also, in addition to the other things mentioned (and the supplements):

*take one baby aspirin daily for the rest of your life
*get an omega-3 (krill oil is good) ever day or two
*Vitamin D-3 (10,000 IU/day)
*Magnesium, at least 600mg/day (in divided doses) but not magnesium oxide (as it's poorly absorbed)
*take a Potassium supplement (bananas don't really have that much, and you need 4,000 mg/day anyway)
*1,000 mg of Vitamin C

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My blood pressure medicine has enough potassium in it that my doctor has steered me away from bananas and other potassium-rich foods (for fear I'd have too much of it in my system).

Same doctor prescribed D3 in a form that I only had to take once a week, but I didn't renew the prescription because I wasn't even sure why she had me taking them in the first place. Now I can guess from what you say that she ordered it in an effort to help me lose weight without actually saying out loud You need to lose some weight.

DallasFanForever

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Thanks, I really appreciate the suggestions. I need all the help I can get.
It’s never too late my friend! I’m a firm believer in our diet habits controlling a lot of our issues, so much so that I decided to get back into shape last year at 47. I just started eating healthier, nothing more and nothing less. The weight began pouring off and I lost 50 pounds. Personally I don’t think I ever looked that bad, for I have a big enough frame to carry the extra weight, but I’m so glad I did it now. It made me feel a lot better about myself but not just physically. It made a difference mentally as well. It made me a happier person, and I felt like I had just walked out of a thick, heavy fog of depression.

It’s not easy. There are times I will still regress I’m noticing, but the guilt sets in so quickly that I get right back to work again before my weight starts climbing again.

My point is you can do it! It can be done if you want it bad enough. Like you I was a HUGE soda drinker. Now I probably have a glass or two a month, and when I drink it now I don’t even like it cause my body isn’t used to it anymore. Tap into your willpower. I can tell by your posts that you are definitely a strong minded person. You certainly have the ability to change things, trust me!

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It should also be pointed out that low nitric oxide is involved in all-cause mortality.

Angela Channing

World Cup of Soaps Moderator
LV

Reaction score
Awards
My blood pressure medicine has enough potassium in it that my doctor has steered me away from bananas and other potassium-rich foods (for fear I'd have too much of it in my system).

Same doctor prescribed D3 in a form that I only had to take once a week, but I didn't renew the prescription because I wasn't even sure why she had me taking them in the first place. Now I can guess from what you say that she ordered it in an effort to help me lose weight without actually saying out loud You need to lose some weight.
Eating beetroot, either raw or cooked, has been shown to be an effective way of reducing blood pressure which kind of gets back to the title of this thread.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Also, in addition to the other things mentioned (and the supplements):

*take one baby aspirin daily for the rest of your life
*get an omega-3 (krill oil is good) ever day or two
*Vitamin D-3 (10,000 IU/day)
*Magnesium, at least 600mg/day (in divided doses) but not magnesium oxide (as it's poorly absorbed)
*take a Potassium supplement (bananas don't really have that much, and you need 4,000 mg/day anyway)
*1,000 mg of Vitamin C

Oh, and how could I forget: a good turmeric-curcumin supplement (with pepperdine, a necessity for absorption). The benefits are astounding -- although I can't take it any more often than every 48 hours, as it gives me the runs.

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, the allergy-rash is back. But apparently it's now the fault of the big raspberry/blackberry/blueberry/strawberry bowl I've been scarfing down in the morning for the last few days.

What's a boy to do when his beets & berries set his crotch on fire like crazy? Go back to cheesecake??

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Well, the allergy-rash is back. But apparently it's now the fault of the big raspberry/blackberry/blueberry/strawberry bowl I've been scarfing down in the morning for the last few days.

What's a boy to do when his beets & berries set his crotch on fire like crazy? Go back to cheesecake??

I'm guessing the culprit is the strawberries...

Daniel Avery

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was going to suggest eliminating the individual berries one by one to see which was causing the distress. Maybe the offending strawberries were accidentally sprayed with a chemical, rather than it being something in the actual strawberries?

Maybe Kroger could lean into the predicament and offer a free tube of Gold-Bond with each pint of strawberries?

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I was going to suggest eliminating the individual berries one by one to see which was causing the distress. Maybe the offending strawberries were accidentally sprayed with a chemical, rather than it being something in the actual strawberries?

Maybe Kroger could lean into the predicament and offer a free tube of Gold-Bond with each pint of strawberries?

It's happened twice. Strawberries and raspberries are most prone to creating allergic reactions. It's only happened when I was taking the strawberries -- so that's where I'm going to start.