The Letter,
All About Eve,
The Little Foxes,
Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte,
The Nanny,
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?,
Death on the Nile,
In This Our Life
The Star (it's a bit shlocky, but she's playing Crawford)
The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex
Mr Skeffington
Now, Voyager

I don't think I've actually seen OLD ACQUAINTANCE or THE OLD MAID, oddly enough. And I need to look again at OF HUMAN BONDAGE...JEZEBEL and DARK VICTORY were okay, but I haven't watched them in forever.

I always wonder about Edward Albee's preference for James Mason and Bette Davis for WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? which he thought would have been "deeper but less showy" that the Taylor-Burton version... I mean, I like the Liz&Dick version, but I can just smell the Davis/Mason one that doesn't really exist. And would Bette impersonate herself (a la "What a dump!!") ??

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Mr Snarky, I'll leave it up to @Karin Schill to confirm but I think you have to rank your choices otherwise it won't be possible to compile the final top 10.

Okay, here goes again...

1. The Letter,
2. Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte
3. All About Eve,
4. The Nanny (perhaps Bette's most underrated movie ever)
5. The Little Foxes,
6. Death on the Nile
7. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
8. In This Our Life
9. The Star
10. The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Bette Davis Top 10, I was brought up on Bette Davis - my mums fav actress

1. The Whales of August
  2. Dark Victory
  3. Now Voyager
  4. all about Eve
  5. Whatever happened to baby Jane
  6. The letter
  7. the corn isgreen
  8. a piano for mrs Cimino (with Digger barnes himself!)
  9. Death on the Nile
  10. Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's hard for me to compile a Top 10 list of many movie stars. I like a lot of classic movie stars and I enjoy their movies, but I don't always think about how I'd rank their movies on a list such as we do here.

With Bette Davis, however, I know my favorite movie of hers is ALL ABOUT EVE. Not only is that my favorite Bette Davis performance, it's also easily one of my favorite classic movies. The dialogue is sharp and witty, and Davis slides on the Margo Channing role like a snug little glove. The supporting cast -- Anne Baxter, George Sanders, Celeste Holm, Gary Merrill, Marilyn Monroe, and Barbara Bates -- only elevate the movie. It's one of the few movies that comes as close to perfection as possible, especially for me.

1656435603459.png

I know the purpose of these discussions is to "rank" our favorite movies for said movie star, but I really don't know if I can do that for Davis.

So, instead, if it's permissible with the committee, I can discuss nine more of Davis' films -- therefore making a Top 10 list -- but with the remainder not being in any specific order.

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? gives us an iconic Davis performance as former vaudevillian Jane Hudson. Davis brings a lot of layers to the character and turns in one of her strongest performances. The fact that she's paired with Joan Crawford is just icing on the cake.

HUSH... HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE is a downright good Southern gothic-type picture and Davis again brings nuance to the demented Charlotte Hollis. The cinematography is sharp and Olivia DeHavilland is a good counterpart to Davis.

DEAD RINGER often gets lost in the shuffle of Davis' post-BABY JANE career, but it's a very good B-movie. It's Davis' second time playing identical twins, and she has some good co-stars along for the ride, like Karl Malden and Peter Lawford.

THE NANNY was a movie I was dismissive of for many years. Once I actually watched it, I understood the hype. Davis turns in a strong, erie performance as the nameless Nanny of the title. It might be one of the very top performances of her entire decades-long career.

JEZEBEL is a career-defining moment for Davis. She won her second Oscar for her performance as Julie Marsden, a spoiled Southern belle. Henry Fonda and George Brent make for solid, handsome leading men. The movie is much more than Davis' "consolation prize" for missing out on getting to play Scarlett O'Hara.

OLD ACQUAINTANCE is the second film Davis did with Miriam Hopkins, an actress she infamously did not like. The Davis-Hopkins tension that resulted in the two actresses endlessly trying to upstage one another plays deliciously in this story of two women whose lengthy friendship has a series of ups and downs.

THE WHALES OF AUGUST tries very hard to be very important, and while it mostly falls short, I do like the fact that Davis and silent screen star Lillian Gish star here as elderly sisters. Ann Sothern and Vincent Price are also among the cast, and the script's shortcomings and missed opportunities can be overlooked with such talented people at the helm.

NOW, VOYAGER was released at the height of WWII and at the height of Davis' power as the Queen of Warner Brothers in the early-'40s. Davis stars as Charlotte Vale in this tear-jerker about a suppressed woman who comes out from under her mother's controlling thumb. It's classic Davis, and I personally think she was her most attractive in this film.

DARK VICTORY was Davis' personal favorite of her many films. The story had been originally bought by producer David O. Selznick for Greta Garbo, but Davis turns in a fine performance as a partier whose rowdiness is sidelined when she learns she's dying. As a side note, Ronald Reagan is among the supporting cast.

THE LITTLE FOXES is an adaptation of the Lillian Hellman stage show, with Davis taking on the role of Regina Giddens that Tallulah Bankhead famously originated. Davis was well-suited to Hellman's brand of steamy Southern melodrama, and the movie stands out as one of her most iconic performances.

1656437216971.png

As I said, I know my method of listing my favorite movies doesn't necessarily fall into the rules of this thread. But this is probably the only way I can participate. It's hard for me to weigh the pros and cons of different films to construct such a Top 10 list ranked #1 to #10. But, in my way, I've put together a Top 10, with my favorite movie being singled out and the other nine being tossed out there in any order.

Toni

Maximum Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
  1. All About Eve
  2. Jezebel
  3. The Little Foxes
  4. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
  5. The Letter
  6. Now, Voyager
  7. Dark Victory
  8. In This Our Life
  9. Of Human Bondage
  10. The Private Lives of Elizabeth & Essex
Also,
11. Old Acquaintance
12. The Old Maid
13. All This, and Heaven Too
14. The Nanny
15. Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte
16. The Whales of August
17. A Stolen Life
18. The Star
19. Deception
20. The Corn Is Green

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I also very much liked Bette's Emmy-winning TV movie STRANGERS: THE STORY OF A MOTHER AND DAUGHTER (1979) although Gena Rowlands -- who was gorgeous just 15 years earlier! -- is a wee bit too shrill in the role. (If only it was Meryl Streep).

This may be the film where Bette reminds me the most of my paternal grandmother, in all their Moon in Gemini glory.

I could cast my entire family.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
I found my Letts schoolgirl diary for 19 80 something and for today many years ago I have written
Watched Bette Davis in Family Reunion, she was fantastic in it

I have no recall now what the film was all about!! :yikey:

cijimccashin

Telly Talk Active Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
1.Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte
2.Now, Voyager
3. Old Acquaintance
4.The Letter
5.Whatever happened to baby jane?
6.Jezebel
7.The Catered Affair
8.A stolen life
9.Mr. Skeffington
10. In this our life

K

Karin Schill

Hi Everyone!

First of all my apologies for not posting the results of the last round last summer. There was a lot going on at the time and I simply forgot about it. So I figured I'd return with the results now. Because better late than never, right? ;)

Your favorite Bette Davis movie is:

91QuXmbNQvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? (1962)
In this American psychological thriller film Bette Davis portrays Baby Jane Hudson, a former child star whose sister Blanche (Joan Crawford) envys her fame. As the sisters grows up Jane's career fades away and Blanche becomes a successful Hollywood star. Blanche career however is cut short after a tragic accident which leaves her paralyzed. The sisters are living together and Blanche is plotting to sell the house and commit Jane to a psychiatric hospital.

Here's a trailer for the winning movie:

You gave the movie a total of: 67 points.

Then the runner up was:
c5d0601a-7940-4626-a35e-3763784b95f9_1.e860b8b87f303f8da7001043e6e36bf7.jpeg

All About Eve (1950)
In this american drama Bette Davis portrays Margo Channing an aging broadway star. She meets a fan named Eve who manipulates herself into her life.

Here's a trailer for this film too:

You gave it a total of 58 points.

I have not watched this movie myself, but has gotten a recommendation to see it so it's on my "to watch list". :)

Then finally here's the rest of the list:

Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte (1964) 48 p.
The Letter (1940) 44 p.
Now, Voyager (1942) 37 p.
Jezebel (1938) 30 p.
Dark Victory (1939) 29 p.
The Little Foxes (1941) 23 p.
The Whales of August (1987) 19 p.
Old Acquaintance (1943) 18 p.
The Nanny (1965) 13 p.
A Stolen Life (1946) 12 p.
Dead Ringer (1964) 12 p.
Death on the Nile (1978) 11 p.

The Virgin Queen (1955) 10 p.
In This Our Life (1942) 9 p.
Mr. Skeffington (1944) 9 p.
The Star (1952) 9 p.
Winter Meeting (1948) 9 p.
All This and Heaven Too (1940) 8 p.
A Pocketful of Miracles (1961) 7 p.
The Old Maid (1939) 6 p.
The Great Lie (1941) 4 p.
The Corn is Green (1945) 4 p.
The Catered Affair (1956) 4 p.
A Piano for Mrs. Cimino (1982) 3 p.
Of Human Bondage (1934) 2 p.
The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex (1939) 2 p.

Honorable Mentions:

Deception (1946)
Strangers: The Story of A Mother and Daughter (1979)

I would like to thank everyone who's taken part in this round and also everyone who has taken part in the movie top ten over all. :popcorn:

Snarky Oracle!

Telly Talk Supreme
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I'm against remakes of classic films, and I'm against it on principle.

Still, I desperately want to see Jim Carrey and Tom Cruise in WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JIM? with Carrey the former toddler TV star, circa 1965, later upstaged by his brother, Cruise, who became a huge matinee idol at the movies during the '80s.

... until that... accident ... outside their home.

I've heard Cruise and Carrey don't like each other (well, of course they don't!) but that could help -- after all, neither did Bette and Joan (Scorpio Risings, all around!)

And Tom may not want to return to his BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY wheelchair... but it's been a few years, so who knows..?

Yet I feel like I've seen it...

Last edited:

Willie Oleson

Telly Talk Schemer
LV

Reaction score
Awards
When is the next round? Will it be someone I know?
If @Karin is OK with it, perhaps you could take over and host the next rounds. If there's still interest, it seems like a waste to let the thread gather dust in the tellytalk basement (ooh, how spooky).

ClassyCo

Telly Talk Superstar
LV

Reaction score
Awards
If @Karin is OK with it, perhaps you could take over and host the next rounds. If there's still interest, it seems like a waste to let the thread gather dust in the tellytalk basement (ooh, how spooky).
There is definite interest from me, pending I know the actor/actress is that is chosen for the Top 10. Even for those I don't know, I like to read about the movies others like that I have never seen or never heard of.

Karin

Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sorry for my lack of response. Yes I am OK with someone taking over this thread and hosting the next couple of rounds. :)

Sadly I don't seem to have much time or energy to host this thread anymore. :(

I've compiled a list of possible stars, themes or directors that we never got around to. Whoever takes over the hosting of this thread can choose to spotlight any of those or someone completely different.

Suggestions of Stars

James Stewart
Ralph Fiennes (Emelee)
Jean Seberg (Jimmy Todd)
Jack Lemmon (Toni)
Jessica Lange (Toni)
Shirley MacLaine (Toni)
Cher (Karin)

Suggestions of themes from Emelee:

Vad gäller tema, så skulle dessa kanske skulle vara nåt?
Razziebelönade filmer
Dokumentärfilmer (exklusive biografier)
Filmer baserade på karaktärer av kända författare, ex. Charles Dickens

List of directors:

Garry Marshall
John Huston
Lasse Hallström
Stanley Kubrick
Joseph L. Mankiewicz
Francis Ford Coppola
Woody Allen
Roberto Rossellini