• Support tellytalk.net with a contribution of any amount

Dear Telly Talkers. Every so often we ask for your support in the monthly running costs of the forum. You don't have to contribute... it's totally your choice.

The forums are advert-free, and we rely on donations to pay for the monthly hosting and backup costs. Your contribution could also go towards forum upgrades to maintain a robust experience and stop down time.

Donations are not to make a profit, they are purely put towards the forum.

Every contribution is really appreciated. These are done via the UltimateDallas PayPal account using the donation button.

Coronation Street Liz Dawn Dies

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
I do like Pat and his overbite. I wish Eileen would find out though - she's a meanie and needs taken down a peg or two.

Walford Boy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Sorry to beat my drum about this but it is clear that the acting quality is going downhill because of the addition of popstars to the cast. I'm not saying that Michelle or Aidan aren't able to act and can be convincing at times, but it is NOT the same as hiring genuine, experienced people and they just don't fit in the street and they're only interested in 'staying famous'.

It's kinda like Dallas *not that I am comparing Dallas to Coronation Street!!!* after James, Michelle and their ilk arrived - Corrie is now lacking grit and substance and I blame not only the addition of former pop idols but also the quality of writing. Corrie cannot pull off OTT storylines and lately I have (sadly) found myself shaking my head lately in despair.
I agree. Emmerdale can get away with the OTT storylines, the Dynasty, Dallas in Wellies style, but CS cannot and shouldn't. It needs to get back to basics, character driven storylines, real, gritty but in a warm Corrie way. We need the Elsie, Ena, Bet, Annie, Hilda and Vera. What do we have right now, Fizz, Maria, Michelle? Not looking good is it. :(

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
YES, that's what I mean - real GRIT. It's sadly lacking at the moment and very much focussed on the younger cast. No offence to some of them but I don't see them being able to carry Corrie for another 20 years the way Liz Dawn, Ann Kirkbride, Bill Roach and Barbara Knox can/could.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
We need the Elsie, Ena, Bet, Annie, Hilda and Vera
very much focussed on the younger cast.

I really can't get my head around why they don't use the community call-in centre (or whatever its called) run by Yasmeen. It would be the perfect place to introduce a group of elderly characters, something like the one o clock club that Blanche would attend.

From there, they could pop into Roy's and maybe the Rovers, but never the Bistro because they're on pensioner incomes.

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Having Peter and Toyah behind the bar at the Rovers also doesn't work for me
I need a story with them before I can decide on whether they work or not. It seems since they've taken over, they haven't had much to do.

Sarah

Super Moderator
Staff Member
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Silence of the Lambs
Toyah bores the life out of me and Peter just annoys me the way he moves from one woman to the next, regardless of anyone's feelings. Will be interesting to see what happens when Carla comes back!

Ome

Admin
LV

Solutions
Reaction score
Awards
Will be interesting to see what happens when Carla comes back!
Peter & Carla together are toxic, so yes it will be very interesting when she returns. I hope he sticks with Toyah.

Walford Boy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Corrie cannot pull off OTT storylines and lately I have (sadly) found myself shaking my head lately in despair.

In a recent interview with Radio Times, producer Kate Oates said you had to approach CS differently to other soaps.

She described Emmerdale as like Prince Harry and that you could experiment and try different things with the show.

She described Coronation Street as Prince William and you had to be more cautious and respectful toward the show.

Well its about time she put this into practice! :rant:

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
She described Coronation Street as Prince William

oh dear, I will take Harry any day, I dont want a bland, insipid Corrie

but i do want a realistic Corrie and thats not the case anymore

evry so often i watch this, classic, funny, dow to earth Corrie and funnier than most comedy shows on TV, 10 mins of humour, wit, sarcasm and put downs
It will never be bettered and sadly 2/4 cast no longer with us.

Walford Boy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
oh dear, I will take Harry any day, I dont want a bland, insipid Corrie

but i do want a realistic Corrie and thats not the case anymore

evry so often i watch this, classic, funny, dow to earth Corrie and funnier than most comedy shows on TV, 10 mins of humour, wit, sarcasm and put downs
It will never be bettered and sadly 2/4 cast no longer with us.
Classic CS. I do miss Blanche and Deirdre. :(

Walford Boy

Telly Talk Addict
LV

Reaction score
Awards
I wondered what the summer scenes were all about. So Liz is back at the pub and Sean is going to start work at the Medical centre. What was the point in removing Liz from the Rovers and putting Toyah and Peter in if only to have Liz come back?

The 2 episodes were just full of nonesense apart from the Bethaney scenes. And the annoying thing is, the episodes will rate well and be the top soap as always and itv will think everything is rosy in the garden and it isn't!

James from London

International Treasure
LV

Reaction score
Awards
It's fun when you watch old episodes and Vera comes into the Rovers complaining about "her Jack", but doesn't acknowledge Jack playing darts in the background because he was just an extra then.

Barbara Fan

Admin
LV

Reaction score
Awards
Favourite Movie
Witness, Vertigo, Spellbound
Liz Dawn: Funeral to be held at Salford Cathedral

The funeral of former Coronation Street actress Liz Dawn is to be held at Salford Cathedral next Friday.

Dawn, who became one of the best-known and best-loved faces on British TV playing Vera Duckworth for 34 years, died on Monday at the age of 77.

The Requiem Mass will take place at 14:00 BST and will be followed by a private family committal.

Cast members who appeared with Dawn during her years in the ITV soap are expected to attend the service.

The funeral will be conducted by Father Brendan Curley, the former dean of Salford Cathedral and a friend of Dawn and her family, alongside the cathedral's current dean Father Michael Jones.

Dawn played the battleaxe Vera from 1974 until 2008, when an episode featuring Vera's death attracted more than 12 million viewers. She was diagnosed with emphysema in 2004.

She is survived by her husband Don, four children, six grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.